Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brit Pig Build

:thumbup: :lol:

hows that beautiful alloy tubed 40 coming along Johnnie? :drool:

Just given mine it's first burn. Very pleased with it. Fully open throws a flame a good foot out the flue, fully closed just quaintly puffs white smoke... still too hot to hold your hand within a foot of it too.
Still gotta seal the door, weld on the hotplate, make the water heater and paint/treat it.

Thanks for the inspiration Ben :thumbup: .

we need some pics Mike! ;)

will have to suss the pics out...

Welded the hot plate to it now and given it another whirl. Nicest bacon and egg on toast I've had in a while... all in about a minute! Not the fastest boiling the kettle though, takes about 10 mins or so.

Really enjoy using the thing. Thanks again for the inspiration Ben :thumbup: .

Gotta get some paint on it next, then the water pipes... Was gonna avoid welding them on as they'll crack, just have them rest in place. Would like to make a removable rack for it too for warming things/toasting/drying... handles would be handy too :think: maybe a bottle opener too.

Sorry ben, been mad busy, will have to sort some out. Made a grate for grilling inside it now, next is an oven for the top. Used it in the tent at lake syffy' and cooked breakfast on it. Burnt all night too!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you are still wondering what to paint it with I could be worth asking the guys at BOAB what they paint the Braai with because that stuff is hardcore! Mine has taken quite a few knocks and a whole load of heat including flames directly onto the paint and there isnt a mark on it! :clap:

Sounds good Dave.

Mine seems to be holding up okay with stove paint at the moment.

The braai looked pretty tough, could use it as a hi lift base...

Just stumbled upon this from the link on LJs thread. Great build mate. Definitely going to make one for myself when I get the chance. Brilliant idea!

Ben, did you ever need to drill holes into the bottom/side? I'm guessing if not that you regulate the heat by the door?

Last edited:
Thanks Nigel. :thumbup:

No I never drilled holes in the bottom, and have always found its easy enough to control with the door. :think:

The 4wd company I now work for actually sell them, so when I get chance I will have a close look at the ones in the showroom and see if I can see anyways to improve my version. :icon-wink:

Cool! Let us know if you plan any updates. I'm keen to make one of these sometime.

Did you ever find a good way of packing it (e.g. a box or something)?

Hey Ben, Just started knocking up my own log burner. Its going to be used to heat the new unit me and our kid have acquired

20130916_115125_zps1131d36b.jpg

20130916_115131_zpsdeb57cf3.jpg

20130916_115142_zps07363889.jpg

The thing is I cant't seem to get it to burn very well. I know your design is different with the cannister turned on its side but I was wondering if the only hole you had was the one in the door. Even with the door fully open it doesn't seem to burn all that well. I know that extending the chimney will help but need to het it to the unit first to figure out the lengths.

Cheers
Chris

It needs a grate to hold the fire up and a hole beneath the grate to let it draw . If you make the hole so you can close it once the fire is good and hot it won't be so greedy for fuel .

chris
whats the box section? a flue or inlet? if its a flue it needs to be bigger if an inlet put it at the bottom. I made one with a 4" flue in the top and a piece of 50mm box into the bottom and its amazing.
you get a secondary burn and a flame out the top that is blue looks like a blow torch.
stu

Funny I was only thinking about this thread today thinking I must take mine to work and get a pic of it in the showroom next to a proper one. :think:

Anyway...............................

Nice work Chris. :clap:

As Stu said you need a bigger chimney and a vent will help. :icon-smile:

Cool! Let us know if you plan any updates. I'm keen to make one of these sometime.

Did you ever find a good way of packing it (e.g. a box or something)?

Sorry mate must have missed this before. :oops:

I had/have every intention of making a box out of ply wood for the pig to live in, but up till now I've found a large plastic recycling box works well and I just pack around the pig with fire wood. :icon-smile:

This is the GF's Dad's Mk2 wood burner...

BigBurner_zpsae2a37ee.jpe

He made a smaller one and then decided to make a bigger one...

(and that's wood shed number 3...)

Last edited:
Back