Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brit Pig Build

Splendid result dude - guess that hot plate is just dandy as it is :cool:

Looking forward to seeing it at Lincomb :clap:

Top work - :clap: , those muffins don't look bad either! :thumbup:

Very cool. Guess who's making breakfast for everyone at lincomb :razz:

Would a coil of copper pipe around the base of the chimney into a bucket not make a nice thermosyphon? 15L of hot water for a shower.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Fantastic Ben :thumbup: ... What was the cool down time?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
thanks guys. :thumbup:

not sure on the cool down time Sam. :think:

i would have just left it outside overnight, but as its not painted yet and i dont want it to rust.

so i put on some welding gauntlets, removed the chimney sections, and tipped the hot ashes into an old oven tray.

i was then able to carry the pig into the garage, where it stayed overnight, and i left the tray of ashes outside to cool down :thumbup:

P5040044.jpg

Crispin said:
Very cool. Guess who's making breakfast for everyone at lincomb :razz:

Would a coil of copper pipe around the base of the chimney into a bucket not make a nice thermosyphon? 15L of hot water for a shower.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

interesting idea. :)

do you think it would have any pressure though, or would it just drip. :think:

Problem with the thermosyphon plan would be the difficulty in controlling the water temp at the shower head, could be a bit warm - although you could reduce this by having less coils of copper.

It'd look like good 'ole boys sour mash still......

Pete

Just a thought but Surely it won't burn 100% efficiently so if you set up camp some where cool and light her up at say 5 for tea then keep her running till say 11 for the heat would it not get quite full of ash and cinders. maybe a slide out ash door on the bottom. will save picking it up when its hot.???

Just my 2 cents

Ben,

At the moment you have a simple bracket for the door, so its either opened or closed.

If you could make it 'W' shaped, rather than the current 'U' shape, you could have the door held further towards the body, this would allow you greater control over how fast the wood burns, ie you could slow it down a bit. This is normal on woodburning stoves. It would also keep the door closed in the event of it tipping over.

Pete

going to give the water heater idea a bit more thought. :)

Chris, its surprisingly efficient, to the point that when its up to temp and burning theres virtually no smoke, and not much ash either. :)

if i was burning coal then i imagine there would be a lot of ash, but wood burns quite cleanly and doesnt leave much ash. :thumbup:

Pete, interesting idea. :think:

when using it ive found that the door will generally stay exactly where i position it, but i guess it might not if it was windy. :)

so time for a thread update. :cool:

so on Thursday i picked up some high heat spray paint.

P5100020.jpg

wire brushed the pig and chimney all over, and then wiped everything with thinners.

P5100021.jpg

then started spraying.

P5100022.jpg

masked the hot plate with tape.

P5100023.jpg

pig and chimney sections painted.

P5100024.jpg

sprayed the legs with galv spray.

P5100025.jpg

took it to Lincomb and used it for all my cooking! worked faultlessly! :dance:

P5130002.jpg

P5130003.jpg

P5130004.jpg

P5130005.jpg

P5130006.jpg

P5130007.jpg

i noticed after cooking breakfast, that some of the high heat paint was flaking off. :thumbdown:

need to get some better paint i think. :think:

i want to come up with a way of using it on camping/laning trips when i may not be next to a lake/river and so wont have any water to cool it down with.

was thinking i could put it on a roof rack and let it cool down gradually, or im thinking of making a plywood box to store/carry it in, but could do with some sort of [strike:1fvjgvgg]asbestos[/strike:1fvjgvgg] fire proof material to line the box with. :think:

picking it up wont be a problem, as ive always got a pair of welding gauntlets in the truck. :)

On the roof, brilliant idea, what you also need is a rocking chair to go up there with it, would look brilliant as you drive along! :thumbup:

Is there demand in Australia for the Beverley Hillbillies.... :D

Looks great :mrgreen:

You could make something very simple to hang it from off of your larger rear door untill it's cooled down then chuck it in the back of the truck. Maybe a couple staples on the rear door as in Hasp & Staple and then a couple of hooks welded onto the side of the Pig to allow you to hang it from off of the staples then some way of holding it secure to stop it jumping off the staples and maybe a sacrificial plate of some kind between the bodywork and Pig. You could possibly mount it from off of one side or other of the front bumper in a similar way, it would certainly cool down quicker up front. You'd have to be sure that the Pigs door fastened securely though :D

Totally Awesome piece of work ben and well documented. I couldn't help thinking that the hot plate looks like a regular frying pan.....would it be easier to just weld a pot bracket off a gas cooker and use a regular pan to save weight and cooling time?

Also I know it may spoil the aesthetics but could you weld fins on it to act as a heat sink for cooling or would that take away from the heating process?

Do you think there a way to fit an adjustable air vent to control burning rate and thus temperature - I'm off today to get a gas bottle from somewhere to start my own and would like to copy your design :thumbup:

Would it cost too much to have stove enamelled?
Powder coated?

wobbly said:
On the roof, brilliant idea, what you also need is a rocking chair to go up there with it, would look brilliant as you drive along! :thumbup:

Is there demand in Australia for the Beverley Hillbillies.... :D

:lol:

sae70 said:
Looks great :mrgreen:

You could make something very simple to hang it from off of your larger rear door untill it's cooled down then chuck it in the back of the truck. Maybe a couple staples on the rear door as in Hasp & Staple and then a couple of hooks welded onto the side of the Pig to allow you to hang it from off of the staples then some way of holding it secure to stop it jumping off the staples and maybe a sacrificial plate of some kind between the bodywork and Pig. You could possibly mount it from off of one side or other of the front bumper in a similar way, it would certainly cool down quicker up front. You'd have to be sure that the Pigs door fastened securely though :D

thanks Steven. :thumbup:

i like the iudea of hanging it on the bull bar. :think:

IRLGW said:
Totally Awesome piece of work ben and well documented. I couldn't help thinking that the hot plate looks like a regular frying pan.....would it be easier to just weld a pot bracket off a gas cooker and use a regular pan to save weight and cooling time?

Also I know it may spoil the aesthetics but could you weld fins on it to act as a heat sink for cooling or would that take away from the heating process?

Do you think there a way to fit an adjustable air vent to control burning rate and thus temperature - I'm off today to get a gas bottle from somewhere to start my own and would like to copy your design :thumbup:

thanks. :thumbup:

i like cooking straight on the hot plate, might not be the most hygienic but it does work well. :thumbup:

im sure the frying pan idea would save weight and cooling time, but then id have to do washing up after! :lol:

i like your thinking regarding the fins, but i think it might effect the heating process. :think:

im sure an adjustable vent could easily be added. :think:

think that might be my next mod. :cool:

good luck with your pig build. :thumbup:

nivapilot said:
Would it cost too much to have stove enamelled?
Powder coated?

will have to look into the enamel option. :think:

i think powder coating might just burn off. :thumbdown:

need to do something as it looks a bit gash where all the paint is flaking off. :?

Back