Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brit Pig Build

I don't think the best high temperature paint in the world is going to withstand them temperatures.
If is was me, I might just take all the paint off the body and the chimney.

So when mines ready, no need to paint it for me, :clap:

Gra.

I don't think the best high temperature paint in the world is going to withstand them temperatures.
If is was me, I might just take all the paint off the body and the chimney.

Polish it, look like chrome it will. :thumbup:

you probably need an etch primer on there as well as high heat paint to make it stay on? It's not just the heat it has to cope with, there must be a lot of expansion and contraction of the steel going on as well.

What are wood burning stoves normally painted with? Can't really get hotter than that can it?

What size bottle did you use ben? I want to make one too.

mike hatton said:
What are wood burning stoves normally painted with? Can't really get hotter than that can it?

Stove enamel.

Ben you need to find a high temp enamel paint and really key the surface (really rough sand with 80grit). Also give it a few weeks before you use it as paint takes months to fully cure.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
im not sure what size the bottle was to start with, but looking at the pics on page one of this tread, it had 12.8 on the top of the bottle, not sure if thats the size? :?

if you want me to measure it i can do Mike, but i have cut 3"s out of the middle. :)

Dave, just done a quick search for stove enamel paint and ive found 3 possible products for me to use.

hallfords.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165495

rustoleum.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=112

and calfire.

http://www.calfire.com/section.php?sess ... n=59&ref=3

so if i clean th pig up all over with a 60 grit flap wheel disc, then paint with one of the above, then give it a few weeks to fully dry/harden, it might be ok. :pray:

total so far for this project is £12, so i think i can stretch to some more paint. :lol:

Thanks Ben,

Could do with the diameter of the bottle really, the length I could change. Standard Calor 15kg propane or 13kg butane are easy to come by and are about 30cm ish.

Yours looked a handy size but I was wondering if it'd be worth going bigger... Want to use it to heat the tent so I'd want it to burn for some hours.

Believe me I am no expert in finishing, Ben, but I am wondering if a finish rather than a coating might work. So instead of painting it, you could do something like heat it up and dip it in oil or something. Gun barrels for eg get a bluing finish which is more a chemical change to the surface. When you get a cast iron skillet, you have to heat it up and oil it.

Just an alternative suggestion - but you'd have to research the method.

Chris

Im with chris. Log burners you have to use like a oil to make them black.

In fact what about blacking it like old ranges that you used to get in kitchens. Mmm, probably lead based. Yummy!

Chris

Go to any where selling fireplaces. I bought a couple of cans (£7 each IIRC) to repaint my stove and chimney. You get various shades of black and grey. Not sure what temps my chimney get to, it shows zero sign of trouble.

ok Mike i will measure it for you, and let you know the size. :thumbup:

regarding the finish of the pig. i dont think oiling etc. is a bad idea, apart from it would need to dry and not remain greasy, as it wouldnt be very nice to pick up if it remained oily/greasy. :think:

i do think paint is the easier option, but its if it will stay on the pig this time. :pray: :thumbup:

Just be clear on that - you use NEW oil. Not some waste engine filth.

Chris

I'd use waste oil, applied when it's hot... a little at a time though as it'll probably catch. Would've thought it'd oil blacken it.
I often do it after welding stuff whilst it's still really hot and it keeps the rust down. Might have to do it regular but the greasy bits will burn off very quickly.

Got my bottle (12kg calor butane), hinges and flue pipe, marked the centre line to the nearest 1/4 inch and drilled for the 3" outlet and some holes at the bottom, gonna put a bit of 2" box on the bottom as an ash tray sealed up at he back and a door at the front. Planning to use the thing in my office and the tent so I don't want to have to turn it upside down to get the ash out.

Looking at about £20 for mine I reckon. Might put another £20 at it and put some steam pipe through the top as a water heater to feed showers or a small central heating system.

hmm new or used oil? :think:

might give old oil a try and see how it works. :)

looking forward to seeing how yours turns out Mike. :thumbup:

cant decided whether to take my pig on this weekends laning/camping trip, or whether i should just take a gas stove. :think:

Old oil. Food. Hmmm... gotta be a risk there Ben.
Old oil is full of all sorts of pretty nasty stuff.... I reckon... ?

the hot plate will always remain as bare metal Sam. :thumbup:

dont want anything contaminating my sausage and eggs. :lol:

Another great build Ben, sat down for a quick view of the forum and 1/2 an hour later I want to build a stove! Brilliant

Back