Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Budapest - Bamako...

GuyB

Country Flag
sweden
Sorry - I know this isn't vehicle specific, but I feel slightly less of a stranger in here than elsewhere on the forum:) So, I've just committed to this:

Finally a chance to put the 80 through its paces!

I'm looking for co-drivers, navigators... sponsors!? But first I need advice...

So far, I've done the aircon, suspension (Pedders stage 2), front swivel hubs, new pads, discs and braided hoses all round and new lockers (thanks, Karl Webster).

I've got a water-to-air intercooler on the workbench and I'm in the market for an upgraded turbo. But before I embark on upgrades - what other baseline items (apart from blummin rust!) should I be considering? I bought spare Koyo bearings but old ones are fine (it's only done 100k miles).

weight will be a killer of you overload the tuck like a lot do, keep it simple and light

Other items/improvements will depend on the speeds you intend to travel off road, but suspension, brakes and cooling are what will take the hammering on the route

Reliability. Before you start bolting on all sorts of toys (which we all do) make sure the basics are in as good condition as they can be.

+1 for what Mark said - Suspension and cooling are going to take a hit. Make sure your electrical system is solid and that nothing rattles cause theres going to be a lot of corrugations

Check the chassis VERY CAREFULLY around the steering box, the cross-brace, and the Panhard rod mount.

My chassis is in good condition, very little rust, but mine had cracked on the original welds around the Panhard mount.

Budapest, eh?

That’s next door to me, please do pop in while passing :lol:

Thanks gents - I also took it for a midlife service at Overland Cruisers so the basics, oils, hoses, belts are all done.

Weight-wise, I'm well within suspension tolerances - but certainly wish I was lighter! Cooling is something I haven't really considered, I read somewhere that many of you add a transmission oil cooler... can you suggest where I could source one?

@Clive Horridge - I was sorry to read of your steering woes, but sounds like you came out ok! I'm going outside to have a look at mine first thing!

It did cross my mind I'd be in your manor. Alas I'm coming from the other way, but the start line ceremony looks like a blast - why not come to Budapest for a cuppa?

Thanks gents - I also took it for a midlife service at Overland Cruisers so the basics, oils, hoses, belts are all done.

Weight-wise, I'm well within suspension tolerances - but certainly wish I was lighter! Cooling is something I haven't really considered, I read somewhere that many of you add a transmission oil cooler... can you suggest where I could source one?

@Clive Horridge - I was sorry to read of your steering woes, but sounds like you came out ok! I'm going outside to have a look at mine first thing!

It did cross my mind I'd be in your manor. Alas I'm coming from the other way, but the start line ceremony looks like a blast - why not come to Budapest for a cuppa?

I’ll bear that in mind Guy! It’s quite a trek even from here TBH, but we could make a long weekend of it, if circumstances allow! It would be a fabulous experience, I’m sure.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have done this rally 3 times, Good fun, and certainly something to remember.

Back