Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bump Stops: how many are enough?

DaveVoorhis

Country Flag
england
Poking around underneath, I noticed the driver's side rear axle bump stop - the block-shaped one mounted to the chassis rail - has corroded and fallen off, leaving behind a rusty plate and the nub of a bolt. However, there are cone-type bump stops inside both rear springs, and the springs and cone-type stops look relatively new. For reference, see the service manual diagram on the thread "45352-Bump-Stops-for-Colorado" (Still can't post links... :x) I've got two 48302 stops and one remaining 48306 Type-A.

I thought these things were factory-equipped with one type of stop or the other, but not both. If I've got working cone-type stops in the springs, do I still need the block-type stop on the rail?

Rare to have both Dave. Typically the shortie had the outer ones and the long wheel base got the cones. But there have been exceptions to this. I think the cones are better as they include a spring isolator.

My '98 LWB 95 has both the axle bump stops and the rubber cones in the springs.

However, when I bought it one of the rubber blocks had gone, leaving a rusty plate - just like yours.

When I stripped everything out I found that the rear spring on that side had broken :icon-rolleyes:.

I've had no problems since replacing the springs and stops on the chassis (apart from the odd "thud" as the axle bottoms-out when towing . . should have gone to Roughtrax for the springs :eusa-whistle:).

I would replace the axle stops and retain the spring cones as I suspect there is too much spring movement without the axle stop.

Bob.

On my 80 I have no bump stops on the rear, they fell off years ago. It appears to make no difference at all for "normal" driving, but when off road, on some more extreme flexing, I would benefit from having something to save the rear wheels catching on the bodywork, particularly at the back of the rear tyres.

This will vary from truck to truck and between models, where "close points" will be different depending on tyre sizes, wheel offsets and overall wheel rolling diameters.

I caught the tyres on the mud flaps last week as it happens, and it's coincidence that this thread has come up now. Must consider getting some!

Back