Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buying tips please!

Freebeer

Country Flag
malaysia
I would appreciate some tips on what to look out for when buying a 2003 4.2 VX with 160k kms on clock. Thanks!

I would appreciate some tips on what to look out for when buying a 2003 4.2 VX with 160k kms on clock. Thanks!
Service history, rust and damages.

At 160 k it's nearly like new, so not much to look for, if it has been maintained. Things that should have been looked at at that milage are e.g. front wheel bearings (repacking and adjustment), spindel bearings (check and lubrication), and hand brake. Otherwise just regular maintenance, liquids and prop-shaft grease.

Thanks!

Thanks uHu for your advice, will post details of what I end up buying here. Can't wait to get back to LC ing!

Service history, rust and damages.

At 160 k it's nearly like new, so not much to look for, if it has been maintained. Things that should have been looked at at that milage are e.g. front wheel bearings (repacking and adjustment), spindel bearings (check and lubrication), and hand brake. Otherwise just regular maintenance, liquids and prop-shaft grease.

I'd pay close attention to the rear or the sills both sides, look at the top and bottom tail gates (very carefully), plus the thin panel under the headlamps - that's rust

Then look at bushes control arms, drop links etc, upper / lower suspension arm bushes, panhard rod bushes, look for signs of wear on tyres. On a run ensure that the gear changes are not too clunky, and look for excessive drive train lash. Check the brake discs for wear, wheel bearings as mentioned. Also listen for the turbo and ask if it's been done (you could check the end play on the bearing). Listen for the diff lock (centre) operating.

Electrics include, window regulators, electric aerial and the sunroof.

I'm sure that there's more, but that most of what i can recall.

Thanks for the tips, I'm now the proud owner of a 2003 100 series 4.2 diesel intended for long road trips from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia up to Thailand, Laos, Myanmar and perhaps further!
I changed the wheels and tyres (Kingstone which is a Korean brand AT's) and did some general service work inc a new timing belt, water pump and new batteries. Original suspension is working well but I might change that at a later date. Next purchase will be a roof rack and some extra LED's. Here are some pics.......
thumb_IMG_1478_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_1479_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_1472_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_1474_1024.jpg

ps. those exhausts were put on by the previous owner! must have been a bit of a boy racer!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That looks immaculate - you must be very pleased. :icon-cool:

Most of the White 100s I've seen have been the fairly bland "UN" spec ones, so it's nice to see one with a dash of flair.

Back