Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

camping trailer design / build

Glued the rear light mounting points on and set some tie down points into the base board and bolted it down.
IMAG0332.jpg

Fitted the side panels
IMAG0333.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg

I made a tail gate but didn't have a big enough sheet of the aluminium I wanted to skin it with so I used offcuts of ply just so I could use it. Managed to get the lights fitted and wired up so didn't need the board this time
IMAG0335.jpg

Loaded it up with a short engine and two gearbox's. Tows great at all the speeds I tried :mrgreen: reverses fine when I can see it.
IMAG0336.jpg

IMAG0337.jpg

Just one thing Jon, those no-loose toggle fasteners on the tailgate are notoriously poor. Get a bit of a rough road and your' tailgate may fly open. That's why you see so many with a bungee cord between the two. I replaced mine after several 'events' with the type that use a pin and a flip over ring.

Chris

Good thing to point out Chris, I have had them undo themselves on a little trailer I had a few years back so I was going to stick clips through them or just find better catches but the tailgate was a bit of a rush job :) No dramas on todays 360 mile round trip though :D

Jon, whats the V8 for? you working on a new winch or something?

Nice work jon. That will be a very handy little trailer.

What axel/suspention have you got on it. Obviously its got 100series hubs on :thumbup:

What weight do you think it could cope with?

karl

looking good John. :thumbup:

were you out towing the trailer yesterday morning going south down the M5?

my boss said he saw a nice looking cruiser, with a trailer with matching black wheels, so i immediately thought of you. :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Rob said:
Jon, whats the V8 for? you working on a new winch or something?
Mainly for reference Rob because it was going for scrap if I didn't have it but I will keep my eyes open in case I see any heads going cheap. Also picked up a spare gearbox for mine and a knackered manual 80 series box to take apart and fix. Was very surprised how light the manual gearbox is.

karl webster said:
What axel/suspention have you got on it. Obviously its got 100series hubs on :thumbup:

What weight do you think it could cope with?
It's got a Knott Avonride axle that was made to the dimesions and bolt pattern I specified (no more expensive than buying one off the shelf just takes longer) and it's only 1300kg because I was making a camping trailer when I ordered it and thought a higher rating would be too bumpy.

ben said:
looking good John. :thumbup:

were you out towing the trailer yesterday morning going south down the M5?

my boss said he saw a nice looking cruiser, with a trailer with matching black wheels, so i immediately thought of you. :)
Thanks, I was, must have been me :mrgreen:

Used it again yesterday to fetch a load of bricks and sand :) Very pleased with how its turned out so far, tows well, reverses easy, big enough to be useful, small enough to not be a PITA, tough enough to drag behind a Landcruiser :mrgreen:

IMAG0339.jpg

Gav Peter said:
[quote="Jon Wildsmith":1koc74di]tough enough to drag behind a Landcruiser
[strike:1koc74di]Well, nearly...[/strike:1koc74di]
:lol:[/quote:1koc74di]
That's one extremely good looking trailer. Congratulations. :thumbup: :clap:
From reading this forum (and the list), I always thought you were doing the right stuff. -- Now, the next level i sainthood.

Axles have arrived for the Mk II. This time I got half axles rather than a single axle so I can decide on width when I'm ready rather than when ordering the axle and the bolt pattern is for an Audi this time :)

[attachment=3:sepqhtzv]IMAG0784.jpg[/attachment:sepqhtzv]

[attachment=2:sepqhtzv]IMAG0787.jpg[/attachment:sepqhtzv]

Wheels are a bit more bling on this one :)
[attachment=1:sepqhtzv]IMAG0788.jpg[/attachment:sepqhtzv]

and it will have to sit a bit lower to work with the A8 :lol:
[attachment=0:sepqhtzv]IMAG0794.jpg[/attachment:sepqhtzv]

Attachments

• IMAG0787.jpg
    IMAG0787.jpg
    956.3 KB · Views: 322
  • IMAG0794.jpg
    IMAG0794.jpg
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 348
And so it begins ... :lol:

What you gonna do for pipe-benders, lathes, etc,?

It's just a trailer ;) I have a smaller bench top lathe coming at the end of the month hopefully, not that I need one to glue a trailer together :lol: I still have the basic tools like glue guns, chop saw and a pillar drill but now I have a nice big space to work in :thumbup: This one should be a lot lighter and more conventional :mrgreen:

Ah yes - '... should ...' - very important, that word! I'm sure you'll have fun, and look forward, as usual, to the results of your endeavours. Must remember to register my interest early this time though :lol:

Won't be long till the A8 is sleeping outside again ;-)

Gary Stockton said:
Won't be long till the A8 is sleeping outside again ;-)
It's too long for the garage for now (a garage extension has always been on the back burner) so it sleeps outside anyway.

Back