Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

camping trailer design / build

Not convinced that wouldn't be very heavy indeed by the time I'd made it strong enough to run along a tree with most of the loaded trailer weight resting on it :) I have a plan for option 1 now :thumbup:

Re. Mudguard:
What about combining the mudguard support with a (side-)slider, running from one end to the other. That will protect the guard and trailer if dragged too close to a tree or something.

Or go all the way like this:
attachment.php?attachmentid=448913&stc=1&d=1283988957.jpg

Needs to be a slider, a good sized step and a mud guard :)

IMAG0294.jpg

Should look ok with some chequer plate folded over it to fill in the gaps.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Needs to be a slider, a good sized step and a mud guard :)
Should look ok with some chequer plate folded over it to fill in the gaps.
Absolutely. Wasn't clear, because of the angle of the photo, that those parts in front of and behind the wheel go all the way out, in line with the outside of the wheel.

Not sure I've allowed enough room for suspension travel now. Jumping up and down on it there's no movement at all so I only left a 50mm gap but at rated load I think it might move more :think: Think I'll cut it off and raise it another 50mm or so just to be safe.

IMAG0297.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What is the track width of the trailer Jon? Is it narrower than the 100's track?

It's narrower than the 100, 1630mm outer edge to outer edge.

As best I can find out max travel should be about 76mm at about 3 times it's rated load so I've raised it to give 96mm of clearance. If it 'settles' with use I'll put spacers between the axle and frame to return it to the height I want. I'll measure it again when I've got an engine, two gearbox's and an engine crane on there next weekend :)

IMAG0301.jpg

That lot should certainly test the suspension.

G.

......And you've left plenty of room for a retro-fitted AHC! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: When things REALLY get heavy!

John

The Dark Dude

I got the other mud guard glued on this evening. Next design challenge then is the tailgate - drop down or swing open, outside of the frame or inside :think:

Looking good.

I made my tailgate on my little trailer come off totally then it doubles up as a ramp for wheeling motorbikes or anything else heavy.

Karl

I think my trailer is maybe too high up for the tailgate to double up as a ramp, it would be at a very steep angle :) I probably will make it swing down and removable though.

Tube bender in action, this double bend for the mud guard outer rail was spot on except for trimming the length of the legs which was as expected :)
IMAG0302.jpg

I've worked out a charge rate for bending tubes - 1 bottle of beer per 90 degrees I pull for you, or you can pull them yourself for free :)

Jon Wildsmith said:
I've worked out a charge rate for bending tubes - 1 bottle of beer per 90 degrees I pull for you, or you can pull them yourself for free :)

So does that mean your taking appointments... :whistle:

Ryan Thomson said:
[quote="Jon Wildsmith":h3gvlcnr]

So does that mean your taking appointments... :whistle:[/quote:h3gvlcnr]
PM me and I'll put you in the diary :)

Looks Great Jon :thumbup: :thumbup:

as it's an overlanding trailer ... are you going to be fitting the same tyres as those on your cruiser??

Red Oktober said:
as it's an overlanding trailer ... are you going to be fitting the same tyres as those on your cruiser??
I will run the 285x75x18 (35") Toyo AT's shown in the pics, which are what I run on my 100 most of the time I just haven't got round to taking the STT's off again since getting back from the Pyrenees :) The original plan when the thread started was to build a camping trailer for us to use as a family but that's not going to happen (bought a caravan instead) so it's really just a utility trailer that I'm imagining could go overlanding and seeing where that takes me with the design to have a bit more fun building it.

Connected the brakes and finished off the mud guards, just needs boarding out and a tailgate but with the trailer board it's more or less road legal now :) Might take it to B&Q tomorrow to get some ply for the floor and sides.

IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0326.jpg

Back