Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can't get a decent dipstick reading!!

Rob Johnson

Just changed the oil on my 1997 3.0td 95.

It took 6.8 litres and the level looked correct at the time.

Then paranoia crept in and I started thinking there was too much oil in but I can't seem to get a good reading as the dipstick seems to show really high on one side (like it's getting covered in the tube) and lower (albeit a few mms over the top mark) on the other.

Any ideas or reassurance would be great!!

Rob

:thumbup: :thumbdown:

As far as I remember last time I did an oil change mine took about 7.3 litres of oil (oil filter was changed as well). The dipstick then measured about 3/4 full.

I have had it reading over the dipstick a few times and the engine seems fine, making no difference.

If you drained it, changed the filter and then put 6.8 lts in, you can't have overfilled it. There is a bit left in the engine and when Toyota used to do mine (a long time ago) they always banged 7 lts straight in and it was always slightly overfilled. 6.8 as a first pass should be fine.

The dipstick does do that. On many cars. You can get a smear up one side. But the true reading should be distinguishable from that. It should look, well, un-smeared really.

Obviously take the reading when it's completely cold and on level ground. Wipe the end of the dipstick quite hard with a dry cloth and then dip it for a couple of seconds. I'd go with the lower reading on the bottom of the stick. Some filters drain more of their oil when they stand and if it looks a little high, that will probably get taken up when you are running. Either way, it's not going to blow up for the sake of an extra half a litre or so.

Chris

Back