Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cargo Barrier Build with no welder on the cheap

grantw

Supporter
Hi Guys,
I've been thinking this through for the past few days and have come up with a solution that I think works but would love to get your guys feed back and suggestions on metal thickness before I start.

First start with some mesh, I'm thinking 13mm squares with a size of around 1400mm x 600mm
For the frame & supports 20 x 6mm Mild Steel Flat Bar (0.94 Kg/m)

To make the frame I would have a piece of flat bar either side of the mesh all the way round. To join the flat bar together I would drill and tap one side and then use some M6 tapered screws. The screws would go through a hole in the mesh holding it in securely. I'd also have some vertical runs of flat bar for extra reinforcement.

I'm also toying with the idea of putting a lift up flap in the middle, though unsure if this would weaken it too much.

To mount it I'd do something like this which looks like it is using the handle screw holes for the 3rd row seats.

cargo010_small.jpg

Does this sound workable?

Few things i'm not sure about:
Best mesh size to use
is 6mm flat bar sufficent/overkill. Especially in regards to having enough thread to hold it all together.
How do you think this mesh would work? http://www.screwfix.com/p/apollo-galvanised-welded-mesh-6m-x-0-9m-13mm/53558

Hoping to get away with it for well under £70

the 6 mm thick bar would be fine to drill and tap not sure why you would then use tapered screws do you mean CSK m6 bolts? Your way of doing this would be veru heavey with the 6mm caould you not look in to ali if your not welding that is what i would do it in? we have got away with drill and tapping 3mm ali before when we made our street luge. that did 60 mph and held my weight fine so i does work.

the allen key bolts are better than the posi if you are ordering some. better chance of getting out if you round off!!

I've never tried it but I suspect it will be a bit bendy with 3mm, maybe even if you used 6mm, you'd be surprised how bendy flat bar is across a span that big.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Could you not make it up and then get someone to weld it for you? It wouldn't cost much. Well I wouldn't charge you much. Tenner maybe.

Chris

Could you not make it up and then get someone to weld it for you? It wouldn't cost much. Well I wouldn't charge you much. Tenner maybe.

Chris

oooooohhhhh don't open that can of worms again Chris. :lol:

Eh? What did I miss? What can?

C

Though it might end up down the Thatcher route again. Things not costing much, mates rates and favours etc.

Just a joke

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Ha ha. I see where you are coming from. But unlike that thread, I posted my charges up front.

Chris

I've never tried it but I suspect it will be a bit bendy with 3mm, maybe even if you used 6mm, you'd be surprised how bendy flat bar is across a span that big.

How about using angle.

Angle should be stiffer/stronger than flat I'd have thought? Just might not look as neat as flat. :think:

angle would be a lot stiffer and should do the job.

Something to ponder on here. Given flat bar is fairly cheap I might try and see how that holds up. Given it will be two layers about 5mm apart (separated by the mesh) and screwed together every 35-50mm I'm hoping it will make it quite rigid. I'm thinking 6mm on one side and 3mm on the other. The 6mm should give loads of byte for the allen key bolts.

Progress has been going well. I've deviated from the original plan of using counter sunk m8 bolts and threading the drilled holes in the flat bar - just way too much work. So I've opted for the good ole nut and bolt combination.

Everything laid out ready to cut the mesh.

20130519_144210.jpg

Mesh cut to size and some of the flat bar bolted on.
20130520_202246.jpg

After drilling around 30 odd holes through the 5mm flat bar the drill bits I've bought have become blunt. Given the price of them they have done quite well though it does make me want to invest in a more expensive set.

These are the ones I bought.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012M7R9W/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those drills should have lasted longer than 30 ish holes IMO....

I'd check you're not drilling too fast (generating excessive heat etc...) and ensure you're using a cutting fluid? - Also drilling a 2-3mm pilot hole & followed by a 5-6mm pilot would also extend the drill life...

Last edited:
Those drills should have lasted longer than 30 ish holes IMO....

I'd check you're not drilling too fast (generating excessive heat etc...) and ensure you're using a cutting fluid? - Also drilling a 2-3mm pilot hole & followed by a 5-6mm pilot would also extend the drill life...

Agreed.

Drill should be on a slow speed and keep spraying cutting fluid while drilling to keep the bit cold. (WD40 will work if you havnt got any proper cutting fluid.)

It also helps if you center punch before drilling. :icon-biggrin:

Looking good so far. :thumbup:

Thanks for the tips guys. I was doing pretty much everything wrong drilling wise. What made matters worse is I just bought a cheap corded drill that has no speed control as the cordless I have was driving me crazy with not lasting the distance. I think I've ruined quite a few of the drills but less than £10 for this lesson isn't too bad! :)

In the end I broke a few drill bits last night rushing trying to get it to a place where I can start packing the car tonight for this weekend away. Frustrating and stressful but got there in the end. Still have to take it back out to paint and clean up all the rough edges with a grinder but over all I'm very happy. The 5mm bar bolted together is proving to be very rigid and I'm happy put a-lot of trust in it.

Will get more pics as time allows. Especially after it's painted & cleaned up.

Loads of loose ends to be cleaned up from the square cut to an angled cut.

20130522_211937.jpg

Sitting in place quite securely. The flat bar holding it up is only 3mm and is holding it in there much more secure than I thought it would be. Currently just using the existing holes from the third row grab handles. I plan to drill those out and put an 3 M8 rivnuts and bolts per side in there to make it stronger.
20130522_213221.jpg

Back