Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Caster correction bushes please

Plates would probably give you too much correction for your lift Chris, I would go for the washer mod unless you feel a bigger lift is imminent?

Hmm, well it has crossed my mind Jon. But then I'd be into re-gearing diffs, even bigger tyres etc etc. I'll do that on the next one I think.

Do we think that perhaps people try to correct too much lift with bushes, which is why they subsequently fail?

It's not much out as I look at it and the bushes would be nice and easy. But I shall examine the plates threads too just to get the idea of how they work.

Chris

OK, looking at the two options here, I certainly am not a fan of the home-bodge method where you weld washers on and elongate the holes in the arm. If I get you right Jon, bought plates would probably bolt into the existing holes and provide completely new holes - which as you say would then probably over correct. The bush method may not entirely restore every degree on a lift, but it would be much closer to stock then before. My steering is OK but has got slightly lighter and with the big tyres on I notice more wander then before. I did a susp lift first and that was good, but when I added the 30 mm packers, it did lighten up a bit.

I'll get a price in from Slee

Chris

Chris said:
I certainly am not a fan of the home-bodge method where you weld washers on and elongate the holes in the arm.
There's no altering holes in the arm, Chris? The arm has the bushes sitting sitting inside, so no mods needed there - it's just the brackets that are modded.

Re CC bushes, read through the Aussie and ZA forums about axles cracking on the join with the RA brackets after CC bushes were fitted. And with due respect, collectively they do a lot more overlanding miles than us so probably a more representative sample. Where the washer mod has been used, I don't recall reading of one single failure.
Of course, not doing lots of overlanding miles means lower probability of encountering the same problem. :D I do know that Les/Ecky had this problem not that long after fitting OME CC bushes. That discouraged me from fitting my CC bushes and as my caster proved to be ok, I've held fire.

Welding washers sounds simpler than grinding out cracks in the axle and welding them up - but what would I know :)

I see Jon advises the washer mod - Jon, did you do this mod on your old 80?

Cheers,

Andrew Prince said:
I see Jon advises the washer mod - Jon, did you do this mod on your old 80?
I used Slee plates but you still have to cut a section of the axle bracket off and weld the plates to the axle brackets. I haven't checked the Slee web site but I should think you really want 4"+ lift for the plates. For smaller lifts I think the washer mod is the way to go, is super easy and is no more of a bodge than a lot of other things we do, e.g. lengthening your ARB drop links by chopping them up and welding a bit extra in ;) :mrgreen: I wouldn't use the CC bush's myself seeing all the reported failures and considering how much the OEM bush's bind I'm not surprised the CC ones cause a problem.

Sorry Andrew - I meant brackets. Clear that you don't alter the arms. I'm just not a fan of random grinding. If the brackets came off and I could have slots milled that would be fine. I am no precision Meister like JW cos I don't have the tools and the talent, but I do hate crawling around under the truck with a die grinder. I agree that slotting the brackets will give a more natural correction. Yes. And plates will be too much.

Is there a really neat tidy way to slot the holes. Mmm Plasma..........

Chris

Oi Wildsmith - that ARB mod was NOT a BODGE!!!!! :cry:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon, did you just [strike:1hcwlid6]bodge[/strike:1hcwlid6] modify the front holes or do the rear bracket too?

There's some quite complicated movements involved in the axles when you look at it. I can see why you could have problems if you were using the cruiser in action all of the time. There is usually some form of ripple when you alter anything I guess. I like the jacking method with the bolt. At least that way you can mark the holes that needs [strike:1hcwlid6]savaging[/strike:1hcwlid6] cutting out. if you only do the front, there is a limit, I can see, as you start to bind up on the back one I guess.

Chris

Chris said:
Is there a really neat tidy way to slot the holes.
Rat tail file? :) That'll keep you occupied for a while :(

Chris said:
Oi Wildsmith - that ARB mod was NOT a BODGE!!!!! :cry:
I agree, I have the same [strike:dvc45qf9]bodge[/strike:dvc45qf9] upgrade on mine :)

Chris said:
Jon, did you just [strike:dvc45qf9]bodge[/strike:dvc45qf9] modify the front holes or do the rear bracket too?
I used Slee plates not the washer mod as I had about a 4 1/2" lift and I had less bodging experience back then or I'd have just done the washer mod instead. I might move the rear hole up a little and drop the front hole to get most of the correction. In place of a square/round washer I would use some bar to make a rectangular washer and give a bit more support from further up the bracket.

Chris,

Just to add a little balance to the thread, I have TJM caster correction bushes fitted, they been in for over 20000 miles now & no sign of axle cracking. I do have TJM springs & shocks as well but doubt that makes a lot of difference.

My steering was light after swapping the suspension & I was hesitant to fit the bushes, although after a couple of weeks driving it like that I decided to fit them. I think its made a big difference to the drivability of mine.

40,000 odd miles on cc bushes mine and so far no problems (going to have another look see now I'm thinking about cracks again ;) - really did not like how light steering was without the correction.

if was going this way again (and no doubt i will as and when the cc bushes throw their hand in) i would save the money and do the mod using a piece of bar welded to the plate. resonates with me.

good luck Chris.

Back