Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Caster correction bushes please

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
I say Chaps, what's the perceived wisdom on obtaining caster correction bushes for the 80.

Import them, get robbed in the UK, US, Oz, back of your cupboard by any chance?

I think that I'd like to do mine. I'm bored. I'd rather pass on WC 4x4 for my own reasons, but if they're the boys then so be it.

Chris

Julian V did mine, but I don't know where he obtained them from.

I got mine from slee. They are 3' hi flex ones. Wanted to avoid the binding issue and stress that the poly ones put on the radius arm mounts. Pricing wasn't bad.

You could instead fashion some caster correction plates me thinks?

I believe the Slee Hi-Flex caster correction bushes are well thought of. The design specifically addresses the issue of additional stress placed on the bushes as a result of lifted suspension and allows full flex without any nasty stress stansfer issues. IIRC Ryan fitted some with his spandangly Fox Shox.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/sus ... shings.htm

I think I will be fitting some of these on my next project....

Rather just go with the bushes this time Adrian. Too busy fixing other PEOPLE'S TRUCKS. :whistle:

So that's [strike:2ct2d3kg]one[/strike:2ct2d3kg] two votes for get them from Slee so far.

next...

C

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ryan Thomson said:
I got mine from slee. They are 3' hi flex ones. Wanted to avoid the binding issue and stress that the poly ones put on the radius arm mounts. Pricing wasn't bad.

Beat me to it :thumbup:

Blimey that must be some kind of record

:text-threadjacked:

Too busy fixing other PEOPLE'S TRUCKS.

Must drive you mad. I mean the nerve of some people :pray:

I'm curious about the Slee ones being better than other CC bushes. Having looked at the site, they describe them as being made from polyurethane, which is what OME, Ironman, Superpro et al make theirs from. Now I am well aware that there are numerous grades of PU but I doubt there is a huge range in flex as the bush still needs to have a decent life expectancy and so on. I'd be very interested in the factual differences between Slee's and others that make these better than say Ironman's via China - or is this just the Slee marketing machine in action? [/cynical questioning]

Chris I think drop plates (aka the "washer mod") that use the OEM Toyota bushes is technically the best solution. For someone like you proficient with the welder and competent to measure properly beforehand, this mod should be easy. In fact probably easier than faffing getting bushes out and new ones pressed in in the right orientation.

I think it's fair to say that there's enough evidence around the world of eccentric bushes (i.e. caster correction bushes) causing some serious cracking issues on the radius arm mount on the axle to suggest anyone considering CC bushes to have a good think about it. I for one have held off installing the CC bushes sitting in my shed - the caster since doing the lift has been ok so I haven't been forced to do anything. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

castor is something i want to adjust on my 70, as it is out after the 2" ironman lift.

if you buy some castor correction bushes Chris, id appreciate it if you could measure them for me before you fit them, as i read some where that 80 series ones will fit 70 series radius arms. :)

Andrew, have you got any more info/links to the " drop plates (aka the "washer mod") that use the OEM Toyota bushes is technically the best solution"

as this might be an easier/better solution for me, thanks. :thumbup:

oh and apologies for the slight high jack. :oops:

Andrew Prince said:
I'm curious about the Slee ones being better than other CC bushes. Having looked at the site, they describe them as being made from polyurethane, which is what OME, Ironman, Superpro et al make theirs from. Now I am well aware that there are numerous grades of PU but I doubt there is a huge range in flex as the bush still needs to have a decent life expectancy and so on. I'd be very interested in the factual differences between Slee's and others that make these better than say Ironman's via China - or is this just the Slee marketing machine in action?

Jusy had a gander at my ones that are still gathering dust in my shed. They feel quite pliable and more like rubber than plastic. I can stick my finger nail into them... not very scientific I know.

ben said:
castor is something i want to adjust on my 70, as it is out after the 2" ironman lift.
if you buy some castor correction bushes Chris, id appreciate it if you could measure them for me before you fit them, as i read some where that 80 series ones will fit 70 series radius arms. :)

Just measured the one I have. OD is 59mm and 40mm thick.

Blimey, that's a lot for a Sunday night. Andrew - respect (as they say) OK didn't want to fanny about but if that is a better way, I shall get stuck into the links and have a gander.
I have a press so getting them out and in is not an issue incidentally.

Chris

Andrew thanks for the links, i will have a read. :)

Ryan thanks for the measurements. :)

Chris said:
Blimey, that's a lot for a Sunday night. Andrew - respect (as they say) OK didn't want to fanny about but if that is a better way, I shall get stuck into the links and have a gander.
I have a press so getting them out and in is not an issue incidentally.

Chris

you just want a reason to use your new toy. :lol:

My experience:
I installed OME cc bushes together with suspension upgrade in May 2010. As you probably know, I don't do extreme offroading, but my 80 eats lots of overlanding miles in Near East and North/West Africa. Last month, I found one cc bush failing (a crack developed in the polyurethane) and also the other three didn't look very pretty. Well, now think: originals held together for 20 years (200 kkm) and OMEs were falling apart after one and a half year and 50 kkm.
This weekend I installed new rubber bushes without cc and guess what? There is no perceivable difference in handling. There is obviously enough caster, the wheels straighten themselves as they should. Why do the cc then? For me this is just another one of 4wd selling scams of "must do"s.

(Mind you, the tires in question here are BFG AllTerrains 285/75/16 and standard OME 2'' lift. I recognise that if building an artic monster truck a suitable cc is a necessity.)

Sensible words. But I actually do feel that I need CC. I have nearly 3" of lift on mine and the prop into diff angle is just wrong. It has also got lighter on the steering since adding the packers.

Chris

After having a 3" lift the steering was a bit vague, nothing severe but it was like I had to keep correcting the steering wheel all the time, but after having Julian V fit CC's there was no 'wandering' Maybe it will vary from vehicle to vehicle :think:

Back