Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

centre diff lock damage?

Mike101

Country Flag
south_africa
wife drove car for few days with diff lock engaged on normal city roads.........
No apparent sign of damage, no noises , ok turns - so everything seems ok
should i be concerned? how would i know if there was damage to the diff? most online resources say this is really bad to drive fast with diff lock engaged.....
:icon-eek::oops:

i think you can check it easily, if you feel jerk while shifting from parking to drive than surely diff is damaged

With centre diff lock only engaged I would suspect that your tires are most likely to have suffered the most, if there are no new noises, vibrations then you are probably ok, you could check the diff by jacking a wheel up and turning the relevant prop shaft by hand and listening to the transfer box, gear box in neutral (engine off obviously and vehicle supported appropriately).
Or find a empty parking lot and drive in a tight circle at low rpm (full lock left and right) so you can hear or feel (judder/vibration) anything if there is anything to be concerned about.

Having said all that I have more than once locked my centre diff on icy roads and my 80 has never had any problems.

Back