Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Changed fuel filter,now won't start

ignat

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
Today changed oil & oilfilter and fuel filter too.

Removed the whole filter housing to get a good grip on the filter. Put it back in, didn't fill filter with diesel though. Primed it a bit and started no worries then died shortly after. Guess I didn't prime it enough.

Anyway I primed some more and cranked and it won't start. Primed a lot more, no go. Removed filter again to see if there is fuel getting in and it was full. Primed more and no start. Now battery is dead. Off to get jump leads to start off my leisure battery. Any hints to get it to start? Just A LOT of pumping on the primer?

Primer doesn't seem to get stiffer or maybe that's my imagination..

If the filter is full of diesel shouldn't it start soonish afterwards?

I would carry on priming until you feel some resistance. This could be 10 pumps or it could be more. You should eventually feel some resistance.

Pump the primer and be very quiet.
When you hear fuel going back in the tank with every stroke, stop priming.

Undo injection line on number 2 injector en try to start her up. If there is any air in the pump it will evacuate quicker with an undone injector line.

Either she will start up and squirt diesel through the injectorline at you, or she'll wait to start untill all the air is out.

Be careful too the diesel is under a LOT of pressure on the engine side of the pump

Kevin, I just changed filter as well. It took q lot if priming before it went stiff. Started an ran without a problem. Primed rapidly for about 5 minutes

Sent from TapaTalk

Take the line off that goes to the engine and use a funnel to pour fuel down into the pump, when it brims, shove it back on to the filter and give it a crank. Once it fires up, it'll drag fuel though pretty quick. Leave the filler cap off to give it a chance instead of creating more resistance. The primer should work, but they can fail.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks all, got it going in the end. I think it was almost there but just didnt have enough battery.

Poured some diesel into the pump fired up and after much spluttering and smoking its running

:thumbup:

I started servicing my LC today ready for the Italian job:icon-biggrin: but i changed the fuel filter as normal but when i went to prime it i too, couldn't get any resistance, which i normally do get when priming, so i fired her up she ran for a bit then died, i tried priming again pump pump pump, no resistance still, so crank her over for a bit and then a bit more and no fire. So i thought il take the filter off and fill it up, but when i unscrewed the filter it was full to my surprise, so i put it all back together another 10 seconds of cranking and she fired and now all is fine starting lovely.

So do you reckon my primer has given up? and can you replace what im guessing is a rubber diaphragm?

Ive looked on toyodiy and it list a new part at £140ish

The standard colorado fuel filter is useless for priming the fuel, you'll be there forever... When I had the original fuel filter, it took me ages cranking the engine to get it going, ended up taking the filter back out and filling it up.

I learnt from that and sourced a 4runner filter I think, and it properly primes the system with a few pumps and is worth the change. It needed a custom bracket to get it to work though. Can post pics if anyone is interested...

Cheers Beau Yes please that would be great, to be honest i must of been lucky because up until today my primer worked good. so if the 4runner one works i will swap this one out.

My old 205 used to use the same style of system as the LC uses, then I got a later 306 - it had a cheap bulb primer! Anyway, I didn't mean "replace" I meant, leave it alone and just put one of these in the line ;)

My old 205 used to use the same style of system as the LC uses, then I got a later 306 - it had a cheap bulb primer! Anyway, I didn't mean "replace" I meant, leave it alone and just put one of these in the line ;)

Thats Ok i know what you meant.

Back