Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

christmass day and stuck to the lugs 5 miles away from home

NickoIrl

my landcruiser is only 5 miles away from me in frozen bog where the frosted surface broke under me :( will have have pics up soon when i get back to it views were worth it was like been back driving in the arctic!!
land anchor let me down to

Re: christmass day and stuck to the lugs 5 miles away from h

NickoIrl said:
my landcruiser is only 5 miles away from me in frozen bog where the frosted surface broke under me :( will have have pics up soon when i get back to it views were worth it was like been back driving in the arctic!!
land anchor let me down to
Whereabouts are you? there may be a good samaritan nearby.

That would be another advantage to putting you location in the side bar then Chas.. :roll:

Sorry to hear that. Difficult to get an anchor in at this time of year. Maybe the pin type would be the best bet.

Chris

From his username id say he is in Ireland.

ooh blimey, looks like you've really gone and done it.

C

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gosh. If help like that got stuck best call international rescue... Whos gonna rescue the tractor?

just about got tractor out with digger toke 3 hours tho get it 100 yeards
couldn risk going any futher with digger. its one thing digging a tractor out but digging a digger out is very very har work

Well done for recovering the recoverers...

How much further in is the cruiser?

Is it as badly sunk as the tractor?

Any otherS with something substantial they can pull you with like an 80 or a 100 series?

How long are your recovery straps... By look of the bog about a mile would be good :roll:

Have you aired down the tyres on the cruiser and locked diffs etc.... Also wondering if you have really low temps that might make ground solid enough for you if you get out really early doors and have a go?

Do you have waffle boards or similar. I have used carpet on occasion... Or lots of wood to give you some traction. If you can get her rolling keep you momentum as best you can.

Good luck anyway.

OMG, thats not good when a tractor gets stuck.
Maybe need one of them 4 wheel drive tractors, with the double tractor wheels on the back.

After that, who knows what, clearly, a heavy 360 digger isn't going to get close enouugh to you to help.

Helicopter probably couldn't lift the weight ?

Any way, this is very interesting,

Graham

I hope you get it out soon i know what its like as one of the painters on site got this stuck and it took 2 days to recover
pickerstuck.jpg

The man without a hard hat on is the one that thought it would go anywhere because it was 4 wheel drive. we had the luxery of it being a private site so a jcb could dig all around it to free it then we had a great big air winch a 10ton dumper and the jcb to pull it out so i hope yours does come out a bit easier.

Joe

Am i missing something? Are there any pics of the cruiser?

So the first thing I did this morning I went and collected the third samaritan which was a fiat tractor with twin wheels front and back. As normal not a typical run as the diesel had frozen in the tank and had to be defrosted! To give you an idea of the width of the tractor we had to block 2 separate roads and move 2 cars. After 2 hours of travelling we finally got to the bog which was now thawing rapidly. James (owner of the tractor, who has worked in the bogs for 18 years) decided to reverse in (for a quick getaway!). So we tracked in slowly for a half a mile, reached the jeep which had sank another half a foot. The bog was now level with the floor in the jeep. When I left the jeep last night it was level with the tow bar. This gives you an idea of the surface of the bog over 8 hours. No pictures as the tractor was beginning to sink.

Hooked up the jeep to the tractor with 50 foot of locking chain. First pull, no joy, the ground started to break under the a tractor. Second pull, no joy again - and for about 200 square yards the whole bog moved like a wave underneath us. Very frightening! Third attempt she pulled up and out. Couldn't afford to stop for pictures as the tractor and jeep were sinking. So we kept her lit until we got back to solid ground. We looked back and the tracks that were left behind were beginning to fill in like a stream. You can imagine the relief to have it back - big thank you to John, George & James who came out in the snowy and wet weather on Christmas day & Stephen's Day and who risked their machines to help a neighbour out.

Learned my lesson for 2010 - stay away from bogs! Hope you guys found it interesting :)

silvercruiser said:
I hope you get it out soon i know what its like as one of the painters on site got this stuck and it took 2 days to recover
pickerstuck.jpg

The man without a hard hat on is the one that thought it would go anywhere because it was 4 wheel drive. we had the luxery of it being a private site so a jcb could dig all around it to free it then we had a great big air winch a 10ton dumper and the jcb to pull it out so i hope yours does come out a bit easier.

Joe

holy shit!!

Good neighbours. Well done on the recovery.

adrianr said:
Good neighbours. Well done on the recovery.
yea the guys have to hand it to them! they dint go home empty handed to was greatfull

Try & get hold of some of those airbag things to get it up in the air, then use some long planks.

Nothing heavy is going to get near it!

I'm sure someone must have one of those snow cat things who might be able to assist, try the other 4x4 forums

Back