Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Colorado 90 starting issue

McLean Racing

Country Flag
uk
In the last week or so my lc90 is being a pig to start, ita not cranking over fast enough. Is it a 24v starter on these things or 1 battery for starter duties and 1 to run everything else?

Cheers

The 90s are all 12v. The batteries are wired in parallel all of the time. What is a common cause of this is that one battery starts to go and it pulls the other battery with it. It's very often the case that you end up buying two new batteries. The Colorado absolutely only needs one battery. Not all UK 90s came with two. It was called the Winter pack.

There isn't a disconnect between the two batteries so effectively what you have is just one large battery running everything. You can split them though and just run one with the other one becoming a leisure battery or just ditch it.

They may be an other reason of course.

Mine has only the 1 battery and it starts just fine with it

Just stuck a meter on it. Both batteries reading 13v???? Is this becauss they are linked? Id expect to see something around 12.4v

When charging im getting 14.5v on bother batteries so id say the alternator is fine. Would it be worth disconnecting each battery and seeing which one is the weakest or does it seem like im fighting a loosing battle and need 2 new batteries?

Is there any other reason why it would be slow to start?

Maybe. Glowplug light goes off as normal tho. Does tend to fire up once urve given it a bootful of throttle

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You said it was slow to turn over. That would indicate poor batteries, a binding starter motor or a seized engine. Well I think we can discount some of that. Glow pugs are pretty unnecessary here in the UK it doesn't get cold enough and wouldn't make it turn over slowly.

Eliminate the obvious. And that is batteries. If you put a voltmeter across even a dying battery you might still get 12v or so out of it. It's load that is important here. There is no substitute for one of those great big resistor battery testers. Get a garage to stick that across the terminals and see if it glows. Old fashioned but fool proof. When the batteries are connected together like this, there is a degree of levelling so yes they will both read the same unless you disconnect one end and test them separately. All of the time they are sitting there not running, the good battery will be feeling the effects of the poor one. It can't 'charge' it as such, but there will be some movement. Then when you turn the key, the poor battery is like a sort of resistor (I said like, not is guys) placing extra strain on the good battery.

The quicker you find it the less likely you will be to need tow. But you may be two late. They go down hill rapidly. Think of the good battery supporting the weak one and 'covering' for it. When the weak one goes, the good one will be exhausted from propping it up and in all likelihood will fall over too. If the batteries both pass the test then it's onto the next thing. I think that there must be a mile long queue of Colorado owners who have been through this though so as I said, worth checking first and it doesn't usually cost. There are electronic battery testers but frankly I'd rather use the old prongs and heater element device.

Looks like its defo both batteries needing replaced. Disconnected 1 battery and tried to crank, turned the motor over once and volts dropped to 6.1 volts, did the same with the other battery and volts dropped to 7.2 volts, combined cranking over volts are dropping to 9.2 volts which is just enough to get it to start

Someone mentioned that these things are designed to run with just 1 battery, do you know the spec i need, cant realy afford 2 batteries at this point in time.

As I said mine has the 1 battery and its a 334

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Euro car parts are pretty competitive on batteries. Look on their site, put in your reg and it should tell you what you need.

I had a similar issue with my 80, had the batteries replaced 2 times under warranty before finding an underlying issue.

On my old 70 series I just went to Costco and bought the biggest battery that would fit the tray.

If he puts his reg in won't it come up with the 2 batteries instead of the one

Wasn't it mentioned that it will start with one?

You can start an 80 with one of the original batteries with a 12v starter installed and I can start my 70 with only one with a little tweak to the wiring rather than 2.

Try cleaning the terminals and lead clamps and checking them for tightness, also check the earth strap for tightness. You should also make sure the top of the battery is thoroughly clean as if not then you can get a leak across from the + terminal, I measured 7 volts to the battery case a few weeks ago before cleaning it.
My one only has one battery and I got the biggest Bosch battery that Eurocar Parts do for the Colorado, It's an S4-029 (334/5 type) 95 AH 830cca one and it works fine. I also fitted an extra earth strap directly to the engine as well.

BTW, the glow plugs stay on long after the light goes out, up to 5 minutes on mine depending how cold it is.

Last edited:
Cheers. I had the batterys checked today by my bro and both are sitting at approx 60% efficiency. Im currently on a 12hr shift and ive got both batteries in charge for the nite but im not holding out much hope that its gonna cure the problem as the voltage is there, but the cranking amps aint. Ill see in the morning. Best price ive been given is £132 for 2 95ah batteries from euro car parts. If i have to get just 1 for now then i will and get another nxt payday

If one battery is down, then it'll drain the other one. Also I think Costco do good deals on batteries and give a 5 year warranty

Bit the bullet today, had a word with my brother who is a mechanic and he said leave it with him, just been down to see him and he had got me 2 batteries in, with the words "i got the best ones for the money" lol

He got me 2 Exide 100ah, 770cca batteries that only just fit in the spaces as they nearly 2" longer than the trays lol

Total price £144 :D

Car starts spot on now. Cheers guys

Back