Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Colorado question from a newbeeeeeeeeee

Gazzbo

Hi folks,
Just joined the forum having skulked in the background for a while. I have a wee question regarding the 90 namely why do some of them have one battery whilst others have two? The one I am looking at buying has two (which has to be better for kids DVDs etc). Just wondered if it was for that reason or otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

Gazzbo :think:

Someone more informed will answer this I'm sure, but as I understand it the 90's with 2 batteries have the cold starting pack option which I believe all UK models came with.

Don't really need both batteries.

Thanks for the rapid response Tony. May just need that cold starting pack up in sunny Scotland (hitting minus 4 the other night). Second battery will be handy for electronic gadgets though.

Yes, I believe the diesel 90/95s in the UK were all fitted with the "Winter pack" as standard, which included the 2 batteries. The UK petrol models only have 1 battery as standard.

Mines a Diesel and only has the one battery :icon-biggrin:

It may be because its a Manual or maybe because its a SWB or maybe whomever first bought it from new decided not to spec the Winter Pack. It does however have the tray on top of the inner near side wing ready and waiting for a second battery, very handy 'twas too, for mounting all of my winch solenoid and isolator on top of :icon-biggrin: There is one small difference between the batteries in a single set up and a twin set up, the ones with a single battery have a larger sized battery compared to a single one in the twin battery set up. Halfords list a 740A 91AH Battery for mine with a single battery or two 510A 68AH batteries for mine with a twin battery set up.

NB - I've never had any trouble with my single battery setup with regards to it starting, using accessories or winching to date thus far :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
You always have to be the odd one out, don't you Steven? :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Starting (Cranking) batteries are different to accessory batteries (deep cycle).

So for winches, DVD players, inverters, fridges etc a Deep Cycle is often better than a cranking battery, as generally they're a higher amperage and slower discharge rate cf a starting battery (which spikes upto the CCA number, but doesn't like to carry on discharging at any particular rate)

Aus twin battery setups sometimes have a deep cycle and a starting battery, with the deep cycle providing power to the winch, fridge and inverter (and switchable isolation from the starting battery so it doesn't drain that, but can be used to provide extra amperage as needed) Some people run 2 cranking batteries; we had that in the HJ75 Troopy at work, made jump starting a piece of cake with an Anderson plug on the front that allowed us to plug in a set of heavy duty jump leads without opening the bonnet!

So it would in theory be possible to run one deep cycle for toys/fridges etc and the other for cranking....hmmm! Do you think the bus would require a wiring upgrade to deal with the new battery or would it still charge up as normal from the alternator using the original wiring. Have to keep the wifes MS drugs in a fridge when travelling and the kids are TV junkies (makes life quite on loooong journeys), so the extra power would come in handy... also by the time I get a winch, lights etc. it's going to start pulling power from somewhere.

Very much doubt you would have to upgrade the wiring from the alternator. Most folk who add in second/third batteries don't do that.

If it comes from the manufacturer with two batteries these are normally connected in parallel with nothing clever in between.

Generally folk who add second batteries also add in a smart split battery system of some sort like the IBS one (there are others too) which basically has the ability to isolate the second battery from the primary via a high current relay.

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve. My 95 had a second battery via a IBS system and all worked really well, however my 120 came with two batteries with nothing more clever than a thick cable between them :lol:

EDIT, just to add, your alternator can only supply what it's rated for typically around 80A. If you upgrade your alternator, then you would need to consider upgrading the alternator wiring

Last edited:
Steven is right. Never seen a SWB manual diesel with the Winter pack. Nor a Petrol. It sounds cool but as we know, ends up costing you twice as much in batteries when one starts to fail!

Twin battery is easy and yes you can have a cranker and a deep cycle. The elcricuty the alternator produces is the same for either battery. You just need a voltage sensing spilt charge system to keep the batteries apart. Plenty of people have done this. You have the option to link them if you need to. Link the winch to the main battery though. Everything else can go to the leisure battery. But I wouldn't worry too much about it being deep cycle unless you really plan on discharging it deeply pretty often. A decent fridge will run very cool for nearly a week on a decent battery. So if it's only over night stops, a normal battery will cope with that. Only like leaving your parking lights on.

Chris

Thanks guys. That explains everything very well, and sounds like a good setup.

Regards,
Gazzbo

You always have to be the odd one out, don't you Steven? :lol:

Errrrm . . Mine's a 1998 UK KZJ95 diesel and it only has one battery (and it doesn't have the second tray either).

:icon-confused:

Bob.

Bob, I never said that ALL KZ95's had the Winter Pack. They don't. Most do, but not all. I have never seen a shortie with it and never seen a petrol with it. But LWB oil burner - most. Now in relation to LWB FX type spec (the steel wheel Farmer's version) I can't say. Never seen enough of them to comment.
In relation to petrols, I can't say I've ever seen an auto. Imports are a different deal. I always used to think about sticking a Prado auto box into Lil Blue. Ha, probably easier to put a UK rear axle on an import for the same effect.

Chris

my FX only came with one battery and its fixtures.
but the "farmer" who previously owned mine was a bit posh and specced alloy wheels and air-con

do the dual-battery versions have a heated fuel filter housing? (the 4runner and hiluxsurf with twin batteries do)

Sorry :oops: - I was the one that said that all UK diesels have 2 batteries - obviously that's wrong, as they do not!

Perhaps it's VX spec ones only?

I looked at a GX TD and that had twin batteries also (I can't remember looking at the fuel filter, so no idea if that was heated)

Back