Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Compression figures after water in the engine

Won't work Chris, the 10mm bolt goes into the rear face of the head and is almost up to the bulkhead, you can just get a 10mm open ended spanner in there. This bolt holds up a pipe carrier is effectively a slimline bolthead. Even with pulling the cylinder head forwards to gain another half inch, you can't get a socket in or even the ring end of a spanner as this fouls on the metal pipe.

It really is a very stupid piece of design, but hey ho. On a more positive note, every other bolt come out nicely, no issues on the exhaust manifold where I was anticipating snapped studs and so on.

Last edited:
Did you get the injectors i sent trevor?????

Did you decide to just pull the head and have a look?

Karl, I got them and thanks for that. I've not swapped them out yet as the compression figures between 3 and 4 cyls bother me enough to suspect head gasket or cracked head as a minimum.

I've decided to pull the head (well, almost :icon-cry: ) and see what I can see, if it looks ok then I'll get it pressure tested for piece of mind. I'll measure the piston protrusion with a dti gauge while the head is off and hopefully rule out con rod if its in spec, then I might have to see if its piston rings.

The more I think about things, even if I was an injector tip down, that would not account for low compression. I think I was hoping it would be easy fix but ultimately opening up the engine is the only way I'll know for sure.

It's a bit scary doing open heart surgery on the truck but fascinating at the same time.

I'll PM you about postage and return.

Hi there Trev'

I have a set of Metrinch sockets that have proven very good for rounded bolt heads over the years, they also make spanners in the same design.

http://www.metrinch-tools.com/website/produkten.php

The Difference that counts

A nut or a bolt has flats and corners. The corners are more easily damaged and do not offer the optimum grip for a tool. In developing the Metrinch tool system Jozef Ruzicka had the aim to design sockets and spanners, which would not only have longer effective life, but would also ensure minimal damage to the fasteners on which they are used. The patented Metrinch Wall Drive profile drives only on the flats and not on the corners. The dimensions of Metrinch sockets and spanners have been precisely calculated, so that a single Metrinch tool will operate on both metric and inch series fasteners. For example, with a spanner 19 mm it is possible not only to tighten or undo a metric nut or bolt, but also the inch bolts 3/4" AF, 3/8" BSW and 7/16" BSF. Even when such bolts have become worn, damaged or completely rounded by abrasion. A further major advantage in terms of application is that the Metrinch Wall Drive profile can be used on open-end spanners as well as on sockets and ring-spanners. Metrinch open-end spanners always provide a 4-point grip instead of the 2-point grip characterizing the traditional profile.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spanner-Metrinch-10MM-3-8-22/dp/B008B5C73Y

21IRnz6c3IL._SL500_.jpg

This may be the tool for your stubborn bolt

Last edited:
Nice find Steven, I've ordered a set ( bloomin pricey )and will give it a go. I can always put then up on Ebay afterwards.

Last edited:
My Metrinch spanners arrived today and within minutes I had the bolt off from the back of the cylinder head. Amazing piece of kit, thanks Steve for the tip :clap:

This was the knackered bolt head I was struggling to get off.

909DDD63-D1A5-4AED-9A05-EB3583161961-1814-00000377FF106D52.jpg

A doddle with this spanner

4E0983E3-39E9-4147-A2E4-664BDB5D65B3-1814-000003787608CB7E.jpg

I took the head off and manually turned the cam sprocket 2 full cycles, all valves seem to operate fine and no damage to them. I will be getting the head pressure tested in the New Year just to be sure that everything is fiine with it.

6A27E418-F3B8-4FED-A737-20F5CF73D7A1-1814-000003785EDDEA39.jpg

The head gasket does not appear to have failed, so I took that off and then I turned the crank to line up pistons 2 and 3 and they appear to both be at TDC which is encouraging.

835DEBDA-116D-4A5A-AB3B-4216727246F6-1814-0000037832BFE286.jpg

I did the same for 1 and 4, number 4 looks to be lower by about 4mm when 1 is at TDC which is a bit of a concern.

E6E2FA75-2702-481C-894A-86340D42D604-1814-000003783FBC2632.jpg

Number 4

8F7783A4-15F5-4352-A55D-B04B040242AB-1814-000003785456B745.jpg

These are of course rudimentary investigations and I need to get a DTI on 1,2 and 3 to make sure they are in spec. However at this point it looks like No 4 conrod has taken a bashing so will have that piston out in the New Year and see what we uncover. I haven't done one of these before but figure I've done the hard work getting the head off and the next bit will be much easier.

As the head gasket appears not to have failed, the compression reading of 470 psi on No3 is something I need to think about. It's still within spec (441 psi is the accepted minimum) but don't want to rebore and re ring one cylinder.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Trev, hope it all comes good for you and Lil Blue. Hate to see it all poorly like that. Does sound as though one con rod has a little bend in it.

Get well soon, Lil Buddy.

Dad.

Loving those spanners! :clap:

Got to get me some of those. :drool:

Was thinking same Ben
They need to be in my tool bag

Chris

They have made to my Amazon wishlist

Are they really that good? I am looking at the full combo set here at £197. Happy to treat myself if they really do the biz. Or do I just need the odd spanner in popular sizes.

Someone stop me.

C

How often have you had to deal with a rounded bolt? It's nice to know you've got a get out of jail spanner in the background.

Of course the rounded head will be the one not in the popular size when it happens, you know you need these lol.

Does that help the purchasing logic?

I bought my first set of Metrinch sockets back when I was employed by ICI to inspect, install and certify electrical equipment installed in explosive environments. They had supplied me with a gorgeous little 1/4" Britool socket set in a nice little red metal box with metric sockets from 4mm to 13mm in 1mm increments and the equivalent in imperial sockets. As I added a couple of handy items to the set, a little 1/4" Tee-Bar and a 1/4" Ratchet hand driver I soon ran out of room to store all of these items in the little red box!!! That is untill someone suggested I bought myself a set of Metrinch sockets to replace both the metric and imperial sockets in my little red set to make room for my new ratchet hand driver. On this basis alone they are a winner in my mind, just one socket that fit both the metric and its equivalent imperial size equally as well.

Hmm, dunno Trevor. I already have Irwin bolt and stud removers and never had a bolt that's beaten me yet. Wondering how good these are simply for everyday. Irwins actually make a mess of bolts, but get them out so you couldn't use them normally. They are rescue only. There are times I need an open ended spanner and std one are pretty poor.
Chris

Given that I had no joy with a standard open ended spanner as it just kept slipping and rounding, I resorted to a hacksaw blade and then a bolster chisel before admitting defeat and basically buggered the bolt head.

The Metrinch literally gripped and moved the bolt in seconds, for me and for this particular problem it did the job. That said, this is the first time I've been defeated. But you know what's its like when you get a genuine excuse to buy a new tool hehe.

So if you don't have the need then don't buy, but when you do have the need its better to have them on standby.

pretty sure Santa has some of those ready for me tomorrow :whistle:

You been a good boy Jon?

Santa

oh yes, I've been a good boy Santa and I think Amazon have sent my present already to save you the trouble :lol:

The prices for these Metrinch spanners seems very high, I've had a boxed set for quite a few years now and I don't remember them costing anything like the current prices. :eusa-snooty:

Back