Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Compressor, pressure release valves, questions...

occamsrazor

Hi,

So I bought a cheap chinese-made compressor. It's a dual-cylinder type and the specs are quite good (150lpm). I don't expect it to last forever but it's quiet and fast and I'm fairly happy with it.

http://www.alhariri-dxb.net/uploadedFiles/1319527867046-3995.jpg

However I didn't like the gauge and tyre attachment, so I bought an ARB gauge hoping to add it to the compressor line:

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-TIRE-INFLATOR-WITH-GAUGE-ARB605US-P21342C9.aspx

The ARB gauge only releases air when you depress the lever, which is fine, except now I've learned a bit more I realise that my compressor doesn't have a pressure-release valve. Which means, I think, that if I attach the ARB and have the compressor ON but don't have the lever depressed, then pressure will build up until something blows, which is obviously not good.

The difference between the inbuilt gauge and the ARB is about 5 PSI (!!) and I think the ARB is correct, so I don't really want to use the inbuilt gauge. What are my options?

1. Ditch the ARB and use the inbuilt gauge, compensating for the difference.

2. Cut the line in the yellow part before the old gauge and attach the ARB.

3. Cut the line after the old gauge and attach the ARB, having two gauges.

Whatever way I attach the ARB, I have the problem of pressure building up. Is it feasible or worth it to try to add a third-party pressure release release valve to make this setup workable? Anyone know a source for these? Could I add it inline to the line itself, or how would it attach? I don't know what fittings they are - the ARB came from USA so is I presume a US fitting. Or could the pressure release valve somehow screw in to where the old gauge is?

Have attached some pictures to illustrate.

Part of me wishes I'd got something like the TMAX, but where I am the TMAX 72lpm (50 quid in UK) costs over $200 and the 150lpm model over $300, and I didn't want to spend that much, while the compressor I got was around $70.

Thanks,
Ben

Attachments

• 2013-01-25 17.38.28.jpg
    2013-01-25 17.38.28.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 2013-01-25 17.39.32.jpg
    2013-01-25 17.39.32.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 2013-01-25 17.40.47.jpg
    2013-01-25 17.40.47.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 118
Don't put in a release valve, put in a pressure switch and connect that to the power source so that the compressor clicks on and off. Screw that directly into the compressor. Then control the power with a relay.

Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris. Do you by chance have an idea how much such a switch would cost and where I'd get it from in the UK? Is it feasible to do this with a portable compressor or would there be wires trailing around? If I did install such a switch would that enable me to "set" a certain pressure and the unit would automatically shut off when it reached it? That would be very useful....

Well I use VIAIR not ARB. I'd just Google around for something. Not sure if VIAIR and ARB are cross compatible. You can't dial in the pressure but you can buy a couple of different pre set pressures.
VIAIR are 1/4" NPT fittings. Not to be confused with BSPT, but very similar.

You can do it on a portable, yes. No more wires really than you have now, other than a couple of thin ones to a relay that you'd mount on there somewhere. I have done this on mine. One switch controls twin pumps into a tank. You'd still be relying on pressurising the line to trigger the switch though. Not really the best. But it'd work.

Cut the live feed to the motor, insert a relay. Put the pressure switch in a Tee on the compressor and use the pressure switch to control a small live feed to the relay. I just slave one off the main live to the motor seeing as it needs to be portable.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well Im looking for one too, mainly for tyre inflation duties as my cheapo ciggy lighter jobby takes aaaaaages to air up the 285/75R16s on the KZJ70. Ive come across quite a few of these double pump compressors and they look like that are all made in the same factory (probably in China..... Graham!?) but seem to be up to the job on paper. Would be nice to hear feedback from anyone who has one though.

In Land Rover circles Britpart don't have a great reputation for reliability.
T-Max do an excellent single cylinder compressor that flows 160lpm. I have one to do my 101 ambulance tyres (900x16). Takes about 2 mins to go from 9psi to 30 from memory.

Whatever way I attach the ARB, I have the problem of pressure building up. Is it feasible or worth it to try to add a third-party pressure release release valve to make this setup workable? Anyone know a source for these? Could I add it inline to the line itself, or how would it attach? I don't know what fittings they are - the ARB came from USA so is I presume a US fitting. Or could the pressure release valve somehow screw in to where the old gauge is?
I've converted all of my gauges and fittings that came with my T-Max to PCL closed ones and just allow the mechanical pressure release to lift and blow off when the pressure in the pipe and fittings gets to high. The fittings that are supplied with most of the cheaper portable compressors as my T-Max and your one there Ben are an Ozy standard fitting called Nitto. Due to the current that my compressor pulls it all ready has a relay built into it to enable the operation of the ON/Off switch and I would not be surprised if the same wasn't true for yours. Matt Savage do a good range of pressure switches http://www.mattsavage.co.uk/acatalog/Heavy-Duty-Pressure-Switch-90217.html and fittings http://www.mattsavage.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_Compressor_Fittings.html if you want the compressor to automatically turn on and off when in use.

Well Im looking for one too, mainly for tyre inflation duties as my cheapo ciggy lighter jobby takes aaaaaages to air up the 285/75R16s on the KZJ70. Ive come across quite a few of these double pump compressors and they look like that are all made in the same factory (probably in China..... Graham!?) but seem to be up to the job on paper. Would be nice to hear feedback from anyone who has one though.
As OG says, here's the one you want :icon-biggrin:

PA180677.jpg

All you need to know about it is here http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...dventurer-air-compressor?highlight=compressor

As OG says, here's the one you want :icon-biggrin:

PA180677.jpg

All you need to know about it is here http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...dventurer-air-compressor?highlight=compressor

Just be aware there are two very similar looking variants. One version is much lower flow than the other and a lot cheaper.
The free air flow rates of each are 72lpm and 160lpm.
The low capacity one will take around 4 minutes to pump a standard 90 Tyre to 35 psi from last. The other will take around 2 mins 30 seconds.

Back