Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Coolant loss help please

Ok so I've bought a used bottom engine with a written assurance it's sound or my money back! Back in the game I hope!

No stopping me when I get going! One just popped up so I grabbed it.

Need it up and running for my mission to Bulgaria!

Not exactly en route I know, but if you're passing by our place on the way or return at a weekend, give me a pm, there's always the chance of a BBQ and some cold ones. Or a bed for the night if you're sick of camping! :thumbup:

I'm sure you have done the right thing and have you checked the head as well?

Ok so I took delivery of the new block today. Think I might be on to a winner! No scratching in bores and pistons look perfect so offsetting the money I was intending to spend on these on the old unit it's pretty much paid for the new block already! Sweet!

Ok now this could be a very silly question, but here goes anyway! Is there any difference in an engine block between a manual and auto transmission? I think the flywheel is different, no probs I have one of those, but anything internal on the crank for example and are the parts interchangeable or should I just whip the crank out the old unit and chuck it in the new?

Back in the game! (fingers crossed!)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Blocks should be exactly the same lad, flywheel bolts straight on,crankshaft is the same too.

Is you new block from Landcruiser or hilux surf? Dipstick on exhaust side = LC. Dip stick on inlet side = Surf.
landcruiser is the the same. Surf block needs to have LC dipstick tube fitted to exhaust side and original hole blanked, the block also needs to be drilled and taped for oil pick up pipe.
worth checking before you start the build up.

Some blocks also don't have the low oil level hole on them and therefore you miss that sensor, but I reckon this is for the older 1KZT models.

So I've swapped the blocks on the stand.

Thought I'd strip down the knackered block to see if there was anything useful in in and just to have a quick peek!

Piston number 1 has clearly suffered some damage!! This is the one that showed the most damage on the surface.

1 snapped ring and 2 dirty great big chips! I'm feeling happier about the purchase of the new block which looks in far better condition.

e9dab407-5835-4d40-932f-842fb8763cde.jpg

Chip 2......still in situ but only holding on by a thread! Plenty of scoring on it too!

eab41c6b-55ef-42da-ad9f-6f54841ff832.jpg

Looking forward to getting stuck in to the new block now! Bring it on!

From my petrol experience broken ringlands is due to excessive boost, excessive heat or pre detonation - not sure how that corsses over to a diesel though !

Paulsven,you have very similar problems that I had.zBore jiggered and piston rings broken.you are are doing well and I watch with interest your posts.Regards Pat.

Thank goodness for that! I was saying leave well alone :oops: Good move getting the replacement! :dance:

Just check there is a bearing in the end of the crankshaft to take the input manual shaft?

Paulsven,how are you getting on with your project.there are a lot who are interested in your progress.good luck.Pat

Hi all, Apologies for no updates recently but just back from a holiday. Time to get stuck in again. With regards to new gaskets/seals etc Toyota or aftermarket? I see Milners have a complete set for £50+VAT but not really sure if it's worth it long term.

Hi all, Apologies for no updates recently but just back from a holiday. Time to get stuck in again. With regards to new gaskets/seals etc Toyota or aftermarket? I see Milners have a complete set for £50+VAT but not really sure if it's worth it long term.

Hey Paul, I have a complete gasket set if you're interested. I would do you a deal lower than Milner, which is where I bought it from 6 or months ago. Complete and unopened. Pop me a PM if you're interested Buddy!

Hey Paul, I have a complete gasket set if you're interested. I would do you a deal lower than Milner, which is where I bought it from 6 or months ago. Complete and unopened. Pop me a PM if you're interested Buddy!

Schaweet! PM'd!

Back