Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cruiser owner in Africa (Zimbabwe and Kenya)...

Robzimbo

Country Flag
kenya
Hi all,

My name is Rob. I live mostly in Zimbabwe, but also spend a lot of time in Kenya. I'm on my fourth LC - my first was a 1996 VX80 which I sold in 2008 with 350,000 kms on the clock; replaced with another '96 VX80 in Harare, which I drove with my family, and another family in another VX80 on a six month, 40,000 km trip from Harare to Alexandria to Cape Town to Harare in 2009 - still running like a dream, with 310,000 km on the clock. She's called 'Jambanja', which is a Shona word meaning the kind of crazy party where everything gets a little out of control...

Then there was Chipembere (the rhinoceros), a 60 series with a 1HZ motor, bought for my teenage boys to drive around in and go camping with their mates, sadly written off in a bounce/roll/ bounce by one of my staff...

And now in Nairobi I have a 1999 105 series, known as Pambere ('Onwards!' in Shona), 155,000 kms, roof tent, more or less solid. I only got her at the end of December and have already done a couple of thousand kms, including trips to Tsavo East and West, and the Aberdares. She's needed a bit of work, but with a new starter, twin batteries fitted, timing belt and roller/tensioners replaced, and a few other bits, she's now running very nicely. I hope to get up to Laikipia in her in the next couple of weeks.

I do a lot of the work myself, but I also have good mechanics on call in Nairobi and Harare. If any LC Club members are heading down this way - 0r indeed, here in Nairobi, or even planning an Africa overland expedition - do send me a message.

Best regards to you all. Next thing to do is to work out how to upload some photos....

Rob.
Nairobi

IMG_7041.JPG 20141227_123838.jpg DSC00228.JPG DSC00907.jpg IMG_4861.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben
Hi Rob and welcome.

The son of a good friend of mine works in Zim near Vic Falls and he recently purchased a Hilux in Harare - took the company mechanic with him to see it and it turned out that the mechanic was at school with the lady who was selling it.

Your LCs look good and obviously are very suited to the terrain. Stories and photos of your trips would always be welcome.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Rob and welcome.

The son of a good friend of mine works in Zim near Vic Falls and he recently purchased a Hilux in Harare - took the company mechanic with him to see it and it turned out that the mechanic was at school with the lady who was selling it.

Your LCs look good and obviously are very suited to the terrain. Stories and photos of your trips would always be welcome.

Regards,

Rodger

That's such a typically African story, Rodger - I hope the mechanic gave a fair assessment of the vehicle!

I'll share some travel stories on the forum as I trundle around Africa - lots of adventures planned. Pambere had a little too much Juia Kali (literally, 'in the shade', i.e., under a tree, or 'bodged') care and maintenance over the past years. But she's getting back on her feet now, and I reckon there's not many places I wouldn't take her now. Picking up a Hi Lift jack and some nice canvas seat covers next week, and then we'll head up to Laikipia and see how it all shakes down.

Welcome Rob, cracking intro and fabulous photos. Sad about the 60 but looks like she looked after the occupants pretty well. Great to have you aboard and look forward to reading and seeing more. You're clearly a cruiser addict so you've found the best place to be in this most friendly forum.

Best wishes
Richard

Howzit Rob and welcome,
We may be coming through the "motherland" on our trip to Mombassa in late April. My sis is in Avondale so will most probably be there for a couple of days before continuing north.

Would be good to catch up for a beer.

Lazz

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Howzit Rob and welcome,
We may be coming through the "motherland" on our trip to Mombassa in late April. My sis is in Avondale so will most probably be there for a couple of days before continuing north.

Would be good to catch up for a beer.

Lazz

Howzit Lazz! Good to have comms. Whether we meet for Castles in Harare, or Tuskers in Kenya, we will certainly meet and share some tales! What route are you taking up to Mombassa? I've done both Mbeya - Dodoma - Tanga - Arusha - Nairob, and the western route via the Katavi National Park down the lake - which is utterly awesome. Also driven Mbeya - Dodoma - Selous - Dar. They're all good. And don't miss out the Africa House in Zambia and the camp site by the hot springs there... or north and south Luangua...

Actually, tell you what, I'll come down and join you for a couple thousand kilometers! I'll bring the beers.

Rob,

Starting in Cape town, through to Harare to visit my sis, then the falls to meet up with friends in Livingstone, then up to S & N Luangua, Shiwa Ngandu, friends in Kitwe, Tunduma border, Ruaha, Iringa, Dar... Zanzibar, Dodoma, Arusha, then finally Hollili Border to Mombassa.

Leave April 20th.

Should be a great trip!!

By all means bring the beers boet !

Rob,

Starting in Cape town, through to Harare to visit my sis, then the falls to meet up with friends in Livingstone, then up to S & N Luangua, Shiwa Ngandu, friends in Kitwe, Tunduma border, Ruaha, Iringa, Dar... Zanzibar, Dodoma, Arusha, then finally Hollili Border to Mombassa.

Leave April 20th.

Should be a great trip!!

By all means bring the beers boet !

Sounds like you know the route well, Lazz - what a great trip. Do you know the Kwekwe - Nkayi - Lupane route as an alternative to going Harare to the Falls via Bulawayo? It's a good road, mostly gravel, though may be getting a bit bugga'd with this rainy season we're having.

Do you know the Kwekwe - Nkayi - Lupane route as an alternative.

Yep the Noel Hunt bridge over the Shangani river... done it a couple of times and although its about 200kms shorter, it takes almost the same time as via Byo. We did it 2 years ago and it was heavy going as the road is not maintained and pretty bad. If we have loads of time then may go that route again just for the bush aspect.

That's such a typically African story, Rodger - I hope the mechanic gave a fair assessment of the vehicle!

The mechanic was working at Antelope Park as was my friend's son, Dan, but he has now moved, as joint manager, to The Lion Encounter at Vic Falls and the Hilux is working well.
Where are you based Rob?

Regards,
Rodger

When I'm in Zim I'm in Harare. But I'm based in Nairobi for the next few months at least, and travel a lot in Africa and the Middle East for work.

If I make it up to the Falls at some point I'll check out Lion Encounter - I don't know it but it sounds like it could be good for guests from overseas.

Your part of Southern Spain looks fantastic - in fact, I'd probably feel more at home there than anywhere else in Europe, though I've never been there. Maybe a trip to plan, one day.

Best regards

Rob
Nairobi

Yep the Noel Hunt bridge over the Shangani river... done it a couple of times and although its about 200kms shorter, it takes almost the same time as via Byo. We did it 2 years ago and it was heavy going as the road is not maintained and pretty bad. If we have loads of time then may go that route again just for the bush aspect.
Lazz - I last did that route New Year's 2015 - I guess around the same time as you. It's definitely not quicker (my journey had an added two hours winching Jambanja through a black-cotton soil mud bath right by the bridge, which was washed away), but it's a lot prettier than the route via Skies.

Welcome to the club Rob

Some great vehicles there!! Sad about the 60, but it looks like the cab stayed in good shape.

Keep on cruisin!!

Cheers
Roy

Hi Rob,

The Lion Encounter is good for visitors but I am not sure that they all realise that Vic Falls is in three countries but really LE should be a termed a wildlife encounter. Not that I've been there but my mate, Dan's father, is going out next month.
The part of Spain we live in is a lot different to the rest of Europe - we have Europe's only desert and the lifestyle is 'back in time' - mostly olives, oranges and almonds. But on the coastal plain they cover everything in plastic to grow crops out of season to supply the north European supermarkets so some of the areas have suffered from this abuse. Even so we like the simple lifestyle and the fantastic scenery and the fiestas!
And there is plenty of opportunity to take our truck off-road. Currently we are helping a friend harvest his olives and aside from a caterpillar tracked tractor we are the only vehicle that has managed to get to the area where his trees are!

Regards,
Rodger

Welcome Rob - would be good to catch up with you if you are around Zambia later this year. I'll no doubt pick your brains on matters Africa. At the moment I am debating whether to do an early oil service in Zambia or Zim or wait until I get to Durban. Thoughts on trusted mechanics in that part of the world? Let me know if I can be of any help

Hi all,

My name is Rob. I live mostly in Zimbabwe, but also spend a lot of time in Kenya. I'm on my fourth LC - my first was a 1996 VX80 which I sold in 2008 with 350,000 kms on the clock; replaced with another '96 VX80 in Harare, which I drove with my family, and another family in another VX80 on a six month, 40,000 km trip from Harare to Alexandria to Cape Town to Harare in 2009 - still running like a dream, with 310,000 km on the clock. She's called 'Jambanja', which is a Shona word meaning the kind of crazy party where everything gets a little out of control...

Then there was Chipembere (the rhinoceros), a 60 series with a 1HZ motor, bought for my teenage boys to drive around in and go camping with their mates, sadly written off in a bounce/roll/ bounce by one of my staff...

And now in Nairobi I have a 1999 105 series, known as Pambere ('Onwards!' in Shona), 155,000 kms, roof tent, more or less solid. I only got her at the end of December and have already done a couple of thousand kms, including trips to Tsavo East and West, and the Aberdares. She's needed a bit of work, but with a new starter, twin batteries fitted, timing belt and roller/tensioners replaced, and a few other bits, she's now running very nicely. I hope to get up to Laikipia in her in the next couple of weeks.

I do a lot of the work myself, but I also have good mechanics on call in Nairobi and Harare. If any LC Club members are heading down this way - 0r indeed, here in Nairobi, or even planning an Africa overland expedition - do send me a message.

Best regards to you all. Next thing to do is to work out how to upload some photos....

Rob.
Nairobi

View attachment 112675 View attachment 112676 View attachment 112677 View attachment 112678 View attachment 112679
Hi Rob,
will be moving in nairobi in April, please check this :

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/com...tend-to-import-a-33-years-old-cruiser.147251/

boroliozeNew Memberfrance.gif
Hi all,
New to the club, but pretty old cruiser owner of a pretty old one ...
My first and only FJ 60; 2F , operated 13 years with it in this incredible Namibia, then 3 years in Zim, and the last 4 years in Swaziland, intending to import it into Kenya in April, driving there from Swaziland.
Heard that no cars older than 8 years old should be imported, anyone there who would know if exemptions exist for "classic" cars ? thanks in advance for answers .

Back