Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CV joints .... ??

It is a 54mm nut isn't it ... and a normal socket won't fit .... what do I get??

is there any other special tools I need please.

I think that's the main one. Probably worth buying new 54mm nuts and the lock nut too. Chances are some one at some point has been in with a chisel to get them off.

Some people swear by a seal puller as well if your replacing your axle seals. If you are make sure you get genuine toyota ones.

I haven't done the job myself ... but have read an awful lot about ppl who have.

Oh .. and do you have a piece of pipe or a plan for separating the cv joint from the axle?

So for last 120 kkm you are happily sporting big tires on some small brand CVs manufactured in China.
If you don't know it doesn't hurt. :icon-biggrin:

But things can change in a few kilometers now that you are aware of that. Murphy's law ...
:eusa-shhh:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Grant .. is there any other special tools I need

To set the bearing preload properly as per the Factory Service Manual, you also need spring scales, like people use when they go fishing.

If you download the appropriate FSM from the service manuals tab at the top all the info is in there. :thumbup:

To set the bearing preload properly as per the Factory Service Manual, you also need spring scales, like people use when they go fishing.

If you download the appropriate FSM from the service manuals tab at the top all the info is in there. :thumbup:

Cheers Ben ..
I already got the FSM's ... I will get spring scales before I start.

I used http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/78276-front-axle-rebuild-faq.html to create my own axle service manual combined with FSM pages.

I then put the printed pages in plastic covers and kept beside me while did service.

I did read to lock the diffs before pulling the shafts. Not sure if necessary but did it on both my front and rear axle rebuilds.

I'm no mechanic but is a straight forward job if not worried about getting messy!
That was three years ago and no issues so must have done something right :wtf:

just a quickie ... how much and what diff oil to put in the axle once i'm done (I have a diff lock in the front)

Will say in the owners manual that usually comes with the car. :icon-wink:

Back