Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CV joints .... ??

OEM only for me but not at UK dealer prices :shifty: Considering the trouble a broken CV can cause the cheap ones are only cheap if you get lucky.

Same here, I would only use Toyota ones after my Milner one exploded in fairly light off-road conditions. I have abused the Toyota ones and they are still fine after 3 years so IMO they are fit and forget unless you get silly with the tyres. The Milner one I had although not HDK only lasted a few thousand miles. Take note the the Longfield ones are for serious off-road use and are best suited to big tyres so will not last long on the road but are much stronger than Toyota ones.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Just thought i'd tell ya'll that my new CV joints have arrived ....

1456546_323266384479214_1378250398_n.jpg

1422532_323266317812554_945217848_n.jpg

Just thought i'd tell ya'll that my new CV joints have arrived ....
How much and where from Carl?

I'm thinking of doing mine again, last did them in 2009. My 92 truck has the thinner flanges, so this time I want to get the later C/Vs and swap out the flanges for wider ones.

Hi Rob

Why don't the Longfield ones last on the road if they are strong?

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have heard this tale before but never seen any conclusive evidence. I have basically accepted it as being the truth but as mine is an off road vehicle it's never concerned me. I read somewhere that they were supposedly softer if that is possible. Because they are designed specifically for the rock crawling market maybe they're designed to flex more and this means that they wear more. Like I say, I accept that may be the case but I don't necessarily believe it.

One thing worth mentioning is that they come without ABS rings. But the old ones pop off really easy and just tap on with a soft mallet.

I have been happy with them.
Wouldn't be up to OEM standards so not sure how much abuse they would take.

I still have the old HDK box at home if you need the part number although the ones I bought had the ABS ring.
If you are lucky enough to have no ABS then the complete kit is a lot cheaper. Should have just reused the old ring as Chris mentioned.

Being Japanese they should be okay, it's the Chinese ones made from recycled baked bean tins that tend to cause problems.

No ABS on my truck so that kit should be just fine :thumbup:

with this mod do you have to change the studs? or is just the flange different? what do you gain from the upgrade?

Stu, the thickness of the flange is the same. It's the depth of the 'collar' sticking out of the flange that is longer. What you get is more engagement between CV stub and drive flange. More mating surface.

nice thanks chaps.
will have ago at this in the future. just getting the parts together for the big brake conversion.
looking into calipers.
stu

Frank, exactly as Chris explained. Apparently they are softer so expect to get about 30k miles out of them before they start clicking. Lifetime warranty on breakages but does not include wear.

:icon-eek:

Oh well that's about 6 years then

I've just looked up some old receipts and found the the CVs that were fitted to mine 120k kms ago were "Interpart".

Has anyone heard of them? I've not heard them get a mention on the forum. :think:

So for last 120 kkm you are happily sporting big tires on some small brand CVs manufactured in China.
If you don't know it doesn't hurt. :icon-biggrin:

But things can change in a few kilometers now that you are aware of that. Murphy's law ...

How much and where from Carl?

I'm thinking of doing mine again, last did them in 2009. My 92 truck has the thinner flanges, so this time I want to get the later C/Vs and swap out the flanges for wider ones.

Sorry Bat21, ... didn't see this ... (don't seem to get reply notices anymore)

got mine from "RoughTrax 4x4" in Bristol ... http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/index.php?doc=220 ..

it's best to ring them as they don't have the CV joint itself listed on the site

Back