Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CV's ? Half shaft question

Andy

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Have this afternoon decided that its time to do a front hub rebuild on the truck & have stripped it all out for inspection and ordering the new seals etc.
I thought I would compare the wear on the cv's that have been in for about 30,000miles (NKD ones) with the ones that were in there when I bought the truck, which I assume were the originals and on about 90k miles, the 'originals dont have any markings (toyota or otherwise) on them, do Gen Toyota ones have any markings?
And the original ones have heat marks on the outer casings all around them............is this normal??

Secondly, the inner axle oil seals seem to have let diff oil into the hubs, will be checking the breather in due course & replacing the seals with Toyota ones, but the D/S half shaft has some wear around where the seal sits, not sure if this wear is acceptable or excessive, any thoughts?
My micrometer wont open enough to measure the diameter, but you can definately feel some small smooth ridges, the N/S shaft seems fine.

Will try to upload pics taken with my phone, but not sure if they will come out!!!

Ta
Andy

Attachments

• cv.jpg
    cv.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 71
  • halfshaft.jpg
    halfshaft.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 107
I have all sorts of shafts and CVs is my scrap cave. And the other day I took a brand new oil seal and a worn shaft. Put a little oil on there as lube (ooer) and tried the seal on the shaft. Worn or not, it was quite a snug fit. Yes there was wear, but not so that the seal was loose. You can also seat the seal out a few mm. You don't have to drive it home hard into the axle. Yours is minimal wear I'd suggest.

Chris

Now that IS what I would call worn. Yes, Speediesleeve would be a good option there. I'd probably just MIG round it and put it in the lathe though.

Chris

And the original ones have heat marks on the outer casings all around them............is this normal??

Yes, this is normal for OEM and higher quality replacements. This is selective heat treatment of the steel - heat treated for hardness where you need it for better wear, and not treated where you want ductile properties for better endurance...

Back