Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cyclists

Years ago, I used to cycle a lot in London, quickest way to get places a lot of the time, and a nice antidote to being behind the wheel. I had a few close shaves with inconsiderate or unobservant motorists, but the only time I suffered any damage was after being hit by another cyclist. When I read reports of cycling fatalities in the capital now, it seems a lot of them are down to poor road sense, passing trucks on the inside when they’re turning left, jumping lights, that sort of thing. When I moved out to the country, I did cycle for a bit, but narrow twisty lanes with vehicles perhaps travelling faster than they should, made me feel like an accident just waiting to happen.

i got knocked if my bike by a Japanese 4x4 we're all familiar with. Towing a caravan as well..........:(

No, bloody caravanners :)

Tried to make out it was my fault when he pulled out of a side road and I was straight in front of him. Luckily there was a witness. You should if seen the drivers face when the witness introduced themselves as Police Constable Pye.

The number plate fell off, but that was it. Bike was a write off though.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
All joking aside, it is good to hear you was not hurt. Many may remember a few years back there were six cyclists who were killed over a two week period?

One of the poor souls was my brother in law, he was the one killed by a lorry outside London Hospital where he worked.

He used the cycle as transport to and from work, and everywhere else he went, IIRC he never even had a car licence.

Cyclists are so vulnerable, but seemingly oblivious to this fact.

regards

Dave

I ain't rode a pushbike since i was a kid but thinking about it now i suppose its easy to forget the lure of keeping momentum under pedal power which might go someway to explain though not excuse what translates to those of us who have forgotten as arrogance and lunacy .

I feel cyclists should be regulated more especially regarding lighting.
Flashing lights on heads, light up jackets plus every type of reflective material.
Motor vehicles need to comply with legisation why not cycles.
Also in this day and age of claims culture cyles should probably have some liabilty insurance.

I was (am) a mountain biker and swore I would never get on the roads as too much traffic (compared to my youth - 60's and 70's) but I did a race in Cape Town on closed roads on a borrowed bike and was hooked. Came home, bought a carbon fibre job and hit the roads.

Not regretted it once. Yes, there are some prize idiots out there but I believe my 35+ years of roadcraft have taught me well in anticipating conditions and scenarios and so far (touch wood) I've enjoyed many trouble free rides. Yes the roads in Scotland are quieter and yes I head out to country roads where there is even less traffic but a little courtesy and thoughtfulness goes a long way.

If I've got a bus labouring behind me I'll always acknowledge that he's held back and when he passes give him a thumbs up. I had a recent one where I was coming across a motorway bridge and a large crane came off the slip road and was following me. I did a bunny hop up onto the pavement (it was rural so no pedestrians) to let him past. He was a LHD and was well chuffed, gave me a toot and a big thumbs up our side window.......like I said, a bit of courtesy and respect goes a long way.

utterly agree with dave.

riding two abreast should be made illegal.

there are some cracking country roads around here that in the last couple of years have become popular with cyclists. these roads are not over busy but they are fast roads and carry a lot of heavy traffic, ie big tractors and quarry lorrys. the road also has a lot of dips and blind summits. these self righteous morons think its perfectly acceptable to ride more than two abreast whilst no doubt chatting about lycra, heart rates and the after ride latta... completely oblivious to the fast track towing 7 tons of silage that's about to have to make a dangerous maneuver to avoid mowing down the lot of them, and who would get the blame if the lot of them are mangled all over the front of the tractor..

roads are not for playing on.

I'm a mountain biker, I hate going on the road, when we have to we stay as close to the curb as we can, and have our wits about us.

if you don't like the grids and pot holes get a proper bike..

#braces self#

As I suggested above, the problems occur when there's thoughtless morons riding 2 abreast on a country lane and another thoughtless moron in a car or truck bearing down on them at 80 mph, with the mentality of "anyone in my way gets it".

From my old memories, we as cyclists traveling at circa 28-32 mph on lanes, were faster than most of the vehicles we encountered :lol:

Those were the days ....:violin:

Back