Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diesel cabin / engine heaters

Didn't say I was buying it Karl. I said I was watching it.

No problem. I would like a new one. Want to see what second hand ones are going for and if they are any good.

C

karl wester said:
Hi chad, when you say pre heaters do you mean to heat the diesel? ....
karl

Hi Karl,

I think we may be talking about the same thing, just that our terminology is different ...... ;)

These are what I'm (and I think you) are talking about; http://www.kenlowe.com/pre-heaters/cars/whatwill.html

I have no connection or personal experience of these but everything I've heard about the Kenlowe ones have been positive.

hi chad,
Yes they are the same thing. Never heard of those that you have put on here but there again i had never heard of the eberpacher heaters untill i needed something to do the job that the eberspacher did so well. Hopefully these will be as good if not better than the heaters i have already had something to do with
karl

Heater came today. Going to get it looked at and serviced i think then install :thumbup:

Some fool is bidding on the one I want Karl. Couple of days to go. Why do that? Price just goes up against you as other people auto bid in response.

Might not get it for sensible money.

C

ive noticed it going up mate.
Remember the other one as a buy it now of 275 or whatever it was without the water pump. Pump is 39pounds i think. Karl

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
One of the landies on our trip to the Pyrenees had one. It was just the webasto heater,didnt do the engine but had 2 ducts,one into the cab, and one out of the window upto the rooftop. Kept them so warm they had their 16month lad with them!!
It was permanently installed, ran off the trucks diesel,and had exhaust going outside.
Great piece of kit.

Chris, Karl, Have you seen the difference here? :shock:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....28460&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1924wt_1139

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....5301&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI#ht_1995wt_1139

And the first one was an uplist from £250!

Did you bid on the other one, Chris? Last I looked it was at £207 with 2 days to go... but is now at £300 (+£10p+p) with 16 hrs left. Clearly the weather has given people the same idea as you. There's an Icelandic chap on Mud has an Airtop or similar in his 80, but I think the engine heater is a better plan.

Can you run the circ pump when the engine is on? I don't see why not if the flow is the same way :think:

Dave, I didn't bid at all. I NEVER bid until the last minute. There are people with automatic bidding enabled and you can see that as soon as someone bids, there is a counter bid. Well that just whacks the price up. It's stupid. Usually I only buy Buy It Now stuff. I don't like the whole auction crap. These items are going silly at the moment. The weather has made people lose their senses I think. Been watching them go at auction for more than one at Buy it now. What's the hell's that all about?

You can run them without the engine running. That's their whole purpose. The pump pushes it around the block. Eventually I guess the thermostat will open and it'll go around the rad. But that'll take some doing. The heater for the cabin is taken off the block so as soon as the unit warms the block, you have a hot heater inside.

If your water pump failed, you could actually run the unit to circ water around the engine

Chris

These sound like a brilliant idea - especially if you could combine them with a heat exchanger and a plumbed in water tank... not sure how feasible it would be - but in principal - hot water on tap without running the engine?

Chris,

Totally agree on the Bid/Bin thing, there is a lot a general dissatisfaction with ebay at the moment... I think it may have had it's era. The prices of these thing are a bit less than last year, but not for much longer, I suspect.

I was asking the other way around about the engine, i.e. can you run it with the engine?... I've since found a couple of references that say you can, apparently modern diesels run so thermally efficient that they need these things to heat the heater in general use.

Justin,

A lot of boats use these in the manner you suggest and as part of their central heating, but you may have to wait a while or have a small capacity tank, I'd think.

Sorry Dave, yes the will work with the engine running, I checked. Hardly classed as efficient - the 1HD-T :lol:

Yeah, who in their right mind would out bid a BIN price on the same thing. That other seller has relisted at more than I'm going to pay that's for sure. I shall wait til it's summer and look again.

Chris

Back