Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diesel is DEAD

They will just wait until all the old oil burners die off naturally. The pollution MOT rules have already been set for these cars so I can't see them altering those. Toyota made the cars to comply with our legal standards so I can't see them altering the goal posts now.

T
When Euro 5 trucks came out it was in the fleet magazines and sales pitch that the tailpipe fumes of a lorry were cleaner than the air going in... But in a city (London). And that was a few years ago, before low emissions zone etc.

Of course the soot was just caught in the DPF and ejected when you got out on the open road! I think the current war on diesels are due to the particulates though, not the CO level.

Diesels run on many things though, so there will always be something to burn in them.

Container ships, and underground coal fires cause much much more pollution than the UK produces.
Tell me more about these underground coal fires, a bit like silent hill?

Soon there will be a worldwide shortage of Lithium - its a rare earth, only found in a few places and a finite resource.

Battery technology will be the next pinch point.

Bob.

T

Tell me more about these underground coal fires, a bit like silent hill?

It's an underground smoulder of coal. The coal catches on fire by accident by mining or natural causes after it is exposed at the surface. And the smoulder burns down the coal seam. You can't put it out as it's underground. So can't tip water on it. And if you dig it out it goes on fire more. Lots about it here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_seam_fire

3% of the world's carbon emissions. UK is about 1.1%. China 29%. US about 15%

Soon there will be a worldwide shortage of Lithium - its a rare earth, only found in a few places and a finite resource.

Battery technology will be the next pinch point.

Bob.
Some estimates say lithium could run out in as little as 35 years, which is an issue as it's also used in other technologies such as CT scanners Etc

It's an underground smoulder of coal. The coal catches on fire by accident by mining or natural causes after it is exposed at the surface. And the smoulder burns down the coal seam. You can't put it out as it's underground. So can't tip water on it. And if you dig it out it goes on fire more. Lots about it here.

Where I used to live in Grovesend, Swansea, the local tip/mine there has been on fire for the last 40 odd years. Most days you wouldn’t even know, but occasionally the whole village would disappear on a fog of coal-smoke, you could see it coming out of the ground all over the place.

The fire brigade had a concerted effort to dowse it once, they spent a week pouring thousands of gallons of water on it, and it made it worse. Something about the steam pressure produced, opening up fissures and increasing the oxygen flow to the fire underground...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They will just wait until all the old oil burners die off naturally. The pollution MOT rules have already been set for these cars so I can't see them altering those. Toyota made the cars to comply with our legal standards so I can't see them altering the goal posts now.

I wish I shared your optimism Frank.

THE Hilux might survive as a commercial but I csn see TGB dropping the 150 series...after all they dropped the 200 and don’t sell many, nor are interested in doing so. So glad I could only buy a petrol FJ...didn’t have to make the decision.

Flippin eck! What a waste. Interesting that some are natural and have been burning for hundreds of years.

It has sod all to do with pollution or resources or saving the planet , its about creating revenue from the so called "disposable income" of the masses . 10 years from now they will ban anything not hybrid , 10 years after that they will say oop's sorry we got it wrong and everyone needs to buy a diesel car or else unicorns will become extinct .

They can't force you to buy a new car , people aren't quite that stupid "yet" but they can make it very difficult to own a car that isn't new .

It has sod all to do with pollution or resources or saving the planet , its about creating revenue from the so called "disposable income" of the masses . 10 years from now they will ban anything not hybrid , 10 years after that they will say oop's sorry we got it wrong and everyone needs to buy a diesel car or else unicorns will become extinct .
They can't force you to buy a new car , people aren't quite that stupid "yet" but they can make it very difficult to own a car that isn't new .
The greatest benefit of electric cars is that the car industry has finally managed to build in obsolescence. An electric car is an economic write off after 10-12 years, it’s what they’ve prayed for for decades, it’s the holy grail and they won’t give that up easily. Why would they lobby eu bureaucrats to support diesel cars that last an indefinite period of time, when instead they can lobby them to support a product with a built in obsolescence of 10-12 years.

Interesting comments here. I work in the power generation industry and install diesel generators in London city. CAT, Cummins and the like are investing heavily on emmisions and spending fortunes, if the government were targeting diesels in general, why would these companies spending?

Diesels will be around for a very long time, battery technology needs to get a lot better, but has its place in this world. Diesel will see me through to the end of my career, there is simply not enough power, we cannot make enough generators worldwide

Interesting comments here. I work in the power generation industry and install diesel generators in London city. CAT, Cummins and the like are investing heavily on emmisions and spending fortunes, if the government were targeting diesels in general, why would these companies spending?

Diesels will be around for a very long time, battery technology needs to get a lot better, but has its place in this world. Diesel will see me through to the end of my career, there is simply not enough power, we cannot make enough generators worldwide

Commercial diesels for generators is one thing, cars are another. A much easier target.

I think they will ban diesels in the city, The DPF is the worst invention known to man they give diesels a bad look.

Someone’s diesel is going to go into regen mode in a confined space and some poor bastard with chronic asthma will die.

I think they will ban diesels in the city, The DPF is the worst invention known to man they give diesels a bad look.

Someone’s diesel is going to go into regen mode in a confined space and some poor bastard with chronic asthma will die.

Yeah, there is a big drive on at the moment to retrofit selective catalytic reduction systems to diesels to clean up the NOx, most modern cars are fitted with the urea systems now,,that technology is spill img into the industrial engines.

National grid have loads of diesel and gas power connected for fast response (STOR) short term operating reserve, as the grid is stretched, it takes 7/10 years to build a power station, 6 months for a diesel, decentralised power station. Diesel is here for the medium term, far too many tractors , trucks needed

The reality is pollution in cities is dramatically less than it used to be, just look at old photographs of cities, yet respiratory illnesses are apparently increasing. I think you need to look further than the diesel car to find the cause.

The reality is pollution in cities is dramatically less than it used to be, just look at old photographs of cities, yet respiratory illnesses are apparently increasing. I think you need to look further than the diesel car to find the cause.
100%

In Australia we still have houses with fire places in the city, when money is tight who knows what gets burnt as sometimes it don’t smell right

Back