Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Difficult getting low range after body lift

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Not unusual to encounter problems after a body lift, some things work fine and some don't. I found that the LR lever was hitting the back of the metal plate below the flexi gaiter in the transmission tunnel. So I 'relieved' that with a Dremmel. Still not quite there and it feels as though it's the linkage between the lever and the transfer box. Now without a trained pet mouse with a camcorder, it's very hard to see in there, so before I lower the whole transmission I wondered if anyone else had been through something similar on an 80 series. I presume that the link is adjustable, probably a left and right handed thread with a bar in between? I just need to shorten it a little I think. It won't stay in low at the moment.

Chris

Anything showing on ToyoDIY, Chris?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i had exactly the same issue on my 70.

i found removing the linkage and bending it slightly worked well, and it no longer fouls the transmission tunnel. :thumbup:

TBH Gary, I looked in the FSM and found no mention of it. I wasn't being lazy - just busy and whacked the post up in between jobs hoping it had been covered before by someone.

I'll have look later over a small sherry. But in the meantime....

C

The linkage isn't adjustable, however on the end at the transfer case is an arm on a splined shaft - I would expect that you should be able to take the arm off and move around.

I have an engine/gearbox/transfer case out on the floor in the workshop if you want me to take pics or measurements.

Although mine is a manual it has had a BL and I dont have a problem selecting low box (I know, mine is a manual). you are more than welcome to look at MUD any time you like and tear it down till you find what you need to know.

Andy :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Andy. Thing is that you can take two identical vehicles and the same BL affects them in different ways.

JV, I would be as obliged as a very obliged person if you could just take one pic of the arrangement so that I know what I am groping around at when I shove my arm up there. I have a T box sitting here in a wheelbarrow, but it doesn't have the linkage on it. It might be a question of bending it like Ben did. Bend it like Ben? Isn't there a film about that? No? Oh well. :roll:

Chris

hi chris, had this problem a while ago, well two problems this was with a 50mm lift

i extended the lever by 25mm, the lever is l shaped to bring out of the way of the gear shift, you will also find your gear stick jumping out of first gear also due to hitting the tunnel, this i also cut and shut but is a trial and error to get just the right offset

good luck

Thanks Joe. Nope not jumping out of 1st. Not even close. I am thinking that the lever problem is something to do with the rubber gaiter though. Not due to it hitting the surround any more - I fixed that, but when the shortened lever gets the rubber scrunched up under it, it acts as a spring pushing it back. Tried it without the gaiter on and it slots into low no bother. So might not be the connecting rod after all. Making the lever longer wont have any effect at all in this case. I only put a 40 mm lift on by the way

Chris

Chris, this is the exact same problem i had with mine!

without the rubber gaiter, i could get into every gear without issue!

with the gaiter fitted it kept jumping out of low range. :thumbdown:

i do think bending your stick slightly will fix the problem. either that or trimming a piece out of your transmission tunnel. :thumbup:

Will give it a look tomorrow.

Chris

Done. End of thread. Move along, nothing to see here.

One short session with some power tools and the lever is now straight. No bunching up of the gaiters. There are two of course which really added it to quite a lot of rubber.

Chris

Back