Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dilema ...

fatboynotsothin

Hey, im new here so first id like to say hi...Hi, Right that's the pleasantries over with :icon-biggrin:

Around about 2005 i had a Landcruiser (120) diesel.... loved it but sold it as you do. Im currently looking to buy another, I have available to me a 2005 Diesel with 97k on it and a 2003 4.0 VVti with 138k fitted with LPG. Your thoughts and opinions would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome, do they have service history ? what do you plan to use the vehicle for?

Both have service history, to correct myself the petrol one is a 2004 not 2003 as i previously stated. I will be towing a caravan from time to time other than that light use taking the dogs to the beach and local woodlands. It wont be my main car as i have a 2.2Tdci Mondeo for daily use.

Both look tidy welcome on board

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would look at both if you can. I've got a 2005 lc4 d4d 100k, identical to the one your looking at, great colour. I'm chuffed to bits with it. Check service to see if injector seals have been done. I looked at another one first, same spec, one year newer. Looked great in the pics but up close it wasn't! Took a punt and traveled 200miles each way to look at the second. It was worth it. Got no experience with the petrol one. Although I went for the lc4 rather then lc5 for two reasons. The climate control is part of the sat nav so tricky to upgrade. Air suspension is something to go wrong.

I've got the spare on the rear door, this does make the door a bit heavier. But it's easier to get on and off.

Last edited:
Having lived with an LPG conversion on my Landcruiser Colorado for over 6 years and 60k miles, I would ask the following;

How big is the LPG tank? You're not going to get much more than 15mpg on LPG, so you're going to run out pretty quickly, even with a half decent sized tank. With something like a 80l tank, you're only going to get 65l of LPG in it and a range of around 200-250 miles max.

Where is the tank? Looks like it is under slung somewhere, so have they replaced the OEM petrol tank for a (large) LPG cylinder and put in an auxiliary type petrol tank elsewhere (like on my 90) or have they replaced the spare wheel for a doughnut type LPG tank? If so, you either end up carrying the spare in the boot or will have to get it fitted to the rear door (like the diesel). The pictures and description doesn't make it clear.

Looks like you won't be using the cruiser as a daily driver and therefore I'm also assuming your annual mileage won't be huge - the savings from LPG won't be that significant in that case. Seeing that you're also using the truck to tow your caravan, if it was me, I'd go for the diesel (assuming they are both in the same condition).

Add: The LC5 diesel is in Aberdeen - so I would check (even more) carefully for rust, as Scottish Cruisers tend to be exposed to road salt etc. for longer than ones down South. (This is when the Scottish members all complain about unfair treatment!)

Last edited:
Are the injector seals an issue ?
Early 120's had copper washers which sometimes failed. These were later changed to ali ( I think I've got that the right way round). Have a search back through the 120 posts for more info. Toyota issued some kind of costumer satisfaction thing (not recall) where they would change them during a routine service.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Epic fail today....went to see the diesel one closest to me, stood and looked at the car..all good, a good poke under the bonnet etc. all fine here too, tyres good, new discs/pads/caliper and handbrake cables. guy shows me the history... it ok but some missing. New MOT, THEN ... i get in and ITS MANUAL DOH DOH DOH how did i not see this on the advert !!

I noticed it on your link, just thought you were one of those that liked manual boxes....

I've recently been forced to drive a new lorry, it's a man automatic and i think I've told the whole of Welwyn garden city how totally sh1t it is, you have no control over when it decides to pull off, it rolls forwards, rolls backwards it's nasty and an accident waiting to happen, this is what i thought every automatic was like until i drove a Toyota. The surf, the land cruiser, even the forklifts at work which are also Toyota are all great and do what you want them to do so no need for Manuel, and i'm really not a fan of autos!

Ps. I want my DAF back :(

Back