Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Direct 4x4 spare wheel carrier

Neil Stone

Hi guys
The swinging arm's not opening.
Has anyone got a diagram of the catch mechanism so I can get this sorted.

Or alternatively.....how do I go about fixing this?

It's not very old, bit annoying really.

Some sound advice would be appreciated.
cheers
Neil

For anyone who's interested in this product, a quick review.

It's not particularly well finished.
It was only fitted a couple of months ago and already has rust showing through the paint and pools of rusty water dripping on to the bumper. This is the summer, imagine what it will be like after a winter !
I'm going to pull all the plugs out of it and spray Dinitrol rust converter through the tubes followed by cavity wax.
The wheel nuts supplied with it are rusting on the (chrome plate?) surface.
The plastic 'clippy' box that encapsulates the cable end has already failed (two types of plastic, new or broken ! ) and had to be opened and lubed after only a very short time on the vehicle).

The positives.....
It was cheaper than a rear bumper with swinging arm !
It was dispatched very quickly.
It does hold the spare wheel quite effectively.

In short, it's not great and needs more paint/rust prevention but does do a job.

Another negative, on poor roads it is likely to swing open & if you are really unlucky like me, it will remove a mirror from a parked car just like my one did in Romania, cost me 100 euros & I am sure the whole car I had the accident with was only worth about two bob, I fitted a safety chain to my one after that.

Dave.

Dave Docwra said:
Another negative, on poor roads it is likely to swing open & if you are really unlucky like me, it will remove a mirror from a parked car just like my one did in Romania, cost me 100 euros & I am sure the whole car I had the accident with was only worth about two bob, I fitted a safety chain to my one after that.

Dave.

Some of them get cracks and fall off in the middle of no where.Cheap spare wheel carriers are not really cheap.

Back