Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Do you use your handbrake?

SimonD

Country Flag
australia
On the recent field workshop, a number of attendees suggested they typically don't use the hand brake outside MOTs because it mud usually means that there is a possibility of the shoes/drum seizing with crud in them and it was difficult to sort out once seized during overlanding. A couple suggested they never use it as the drive train in P [auto] is sufficient to stop the truck moving. I wanted to know if others feel the same way and whether anything can be done to improve the situation or minimise the chance of it seizing in the first place.

Used every time I stop, mine being a manual, and for hill starts.

Best way to stop all this seize up stuff is to keep it well maintained and crud free, it's not too difficult to free off if you practise it prior to your trip. Don't believe the FSM about 7-8 clicks backing off when setting either. I find about 3-4 is sufficient.

Is there anyone interested in the idea of something like this for Land Cruisers

I use it often enough. It needs regular maintenance if you like mud.

Changed the handbrake cable a couple of years ago. First time in its life. These have the tendency to go sticky after frequent use. They will work, but sometimes don't disengage enough. Other trouble follows :doh:

I always use it on my 100, didn't tend to on my 80.

Mine works well for the 1st week or so after an MOT on which it always fails... I use it but it has very little effect unless the lever is touching the sunroof...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gav Peter said:
Mine works well for the 1st week or so after an MOT on which it always fails... I use it but it has very little effect unless the lever is touching the sunroof...
You'll probably find it just needs a bit of TLC and correct adjustment Gav ;) I have to adjust mine a few times a year but now everything moves freely it doesn't take long.

I only use mine for MOT - actually the MOT man does.

My wife uses it to warm the brakes up in winter :roll:

I lost a pin which holds the springs in place sometime over the last year and I didn't even realise until the MOT guy said that I have some parts missing inside the drum :roll: (and mine is a manual)

Useless piece of kit when you use it off road. Probably the most annoying thing on the LC if you have a manual.

Andrew Prince said:
I only use mine for MOT - actually the MOT man does.

My wife uses it to warm the brakes up in winter :roll:

Slight twist on that one, mine only gets used by the MOT man and the wife.

I have warmed the brakes up a few time when the other half has used my motor. :oops:

Rob said:
Useless piece of kit when you use it off road. Probably the most annoying thing on the LC if you have a manual.
It's only as useless as you let it be ;)

I do use mine, yes. But there is something about the Landcruiser hand brake set up that I can't fathom. It's the same on the 90s and 120 that I have owned. If you set it up, properly, it's a good handbrake. But the minute that you do any major articulation, like being off road, it just disappears. We really could use some sort of hand brake mod or redesign. Wear is a factor, that's true and having some stainless, bushed bell cranks would be a good start. Any slop at all in the mechanism is magnified several fold in terms of play in the cable. A steel crank on a steel pin in an area exposed to crud etc is not a good recipe. Anyone got the facilities to make these OR take the old ones and set a bush into them mated snugly to a new stainless pin? If yours are worn into a slot then they can be welded up and re drilled pretty easily or you can buy some new ones I suppose. I don't like the design in that it directly pulls one side then slaves the other. Whilst I have managed to set mine up very successfully on all my Cruisers, there has always been a minor difference side to side.

I wonder if stronger return springs would be of benefit in the shoes?

Anyone got any other ideas / clues as to the hand brake phenomenon?

Chris

Maybe, we should talk to X Eng about the design of a prop shaft disc system in the same style as their Land Rover and Suzuki systems

Julian said:
Maybe, we should talk to X Eng about the design of a prop shaft disc system in the same style as their Land Rover and Suzuki systems
:idea: Now that's a brilliant idea, I might just give him a ring in the morning.
Chas

Chas, please do.

I think that in an auto you have a slight hill start advantage when your hand brake packs in. In a manual, not having a hand brake on an incline must be tricky to balance. Our own Mr Rubie seems to do very well as we know, but a brake that actually locks your wheels on a slope would be a very comforting thing to have at times when going for the clutch!!

C

Julian said:

Funny you should say that because I actually visited X-Eng on friday to discuss X brakes for an 80 series. Simon had not seen an 80 in detail and wanted to check one out.

His initial view was there is not enough clearance on the rear of the transfer case to fit a disc of big enough diameter. I suggested using a mechanical caliper the rear discs. The current hand brake caliper he has will not generate enough force to work on the wheels but he is developing a new caliper that should be up to the job.

Simon is looking to source a pair of 80 axles for a buggy he is planning, once he gets these he will start work on the hand brake system. It was just a feeling but I don't think this is going to be a quick one.

Ian

Chris said:
Chas, please do. C
I've just sent him an e-mail and I'll try to remember to ring him in the morning.
Chas

Cossack said:
Julian said:
:idea: Now that's a brilliant idea, I might just give him a ring in the morning.
Chas

Almost like I suggested in the second post on this topic :lol:

Chas, do you have an 'in' with X-Eng?

The disc may hang a little too low for some people but I'm in. Whether it works or not, the original system is too much arrrrsing around in the maint dept

Back