Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Double Din stereo swap

Gr8Yota

Country Flag
scotland
Has anyone swapped out the OE stereo system for a standard double din unit On their 80? Is a face plate/filler/adaptor needed?

pics welcome!

(No I haven’t swapped the Troopy, asking for Mike…)

Yep fitted the JVC one which was in the one Trev bought. Fitted a Pioneer DAB one a few weeks ago in the 24V 80 auto no issues and didn't need any kind of adapter. Worked with the reverse camera as well. I fitted one, this time a Kenwood DAB in the 120, was dearer than the Pioneer but better. This was much more involved with fitting kit and filler.
I wouldn't fit one without a volume knob ( like the Pioneer) as its a faff leaning over to press the volume button.
Personally I wouldn't get one with built in sat nav as its well out of view where it is. What3words will supersede satnavs anyway.

Thank you. Yes I advised him to get one with physical buttons as my Kenwood has touch screen buttons and is awkward now it is in the 78, (it was fine in the FJ as I had steering wheel controls)

I gave in after looking for a replacement Double Din unit for mine for ages, and went for a full touchscreen unit and fitted it a few weeks ago, typical of the electronic units of today, bluetooth to phone, sat nav, reversing camera blah blah....and whilst Single Din/Double Din is supposedly an official standard, aftermarket replacements are not always spot on, the modern Double Din electronic head unit I fitted is perfect however, the 'Universal' brackets were anything but!

Regards

Dave

Thanks. We’re looking at touch screen units but I’ve advised one with some physical buttons the screen only design in my 78 is hard to use on the move (volume etc)

Fitted a Sony double-din in both my current FZJ80 and previous KZN185 surf. Both fitted perfectly with no adapters or face plates. I also prefer proper buttons to touch screen. Incidentally both units were second hand from eBay and cost under £100 each

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Been trying to find mine for sale just to give you dimensions to work with . Cheap Chinese but I wanted a back up satnav after my Garmin failed half way through Europe . I hate this sort of thing but when i removed the single din previous owner stereo i might have used the exact same screws in the same place to fix the new 2din .

D3031B10-8171-4996-B3BA-A00FD6F82076.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine came into my ownership with a double din in it, I had a newer one fitted almost right away and ive now just updated it again, I never had the single din and a cubby hole like others have

There is most certainly a difference between a touchscreen Double Din 'unit', and a Double DIN 'head' unit, the head units are the ones that have brakets that do not suit the 80 staggered versions. I had to drill the OE brackets, then file a little at a time until they fitted nice.

Regards

Dave

Thanks. We’re looking at touch screen units but I’ve advised one with some physical buttons the screen only design in my 78 is hard to use on the move (volume etc)
Mine has physical buttons for mute and on/off, and a 'home' button, volume control buttons are there as well, but the volume can be controlled by the touchscreen as well.

Regards

Dave

My 80 had a double din fitted when i bought it, then i had another double din installed by a shop. I fitted this one but had to use the brackets off the last stereo with a little bit of fettling as the ones supplied i could onlt attach one screw each side to the vehicle.

I went Sony, very happy with it. Made a wee custom USB panel for the Carplay

Attachments

• HLC02645 copy 2.jpg
    HLC02645 copy 2.jpg
    612.5 KB · Views: 34
Back