Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Downsides to large 4x4 ownership, let's hear them!

Towpack

Garage
Country Flag
england
Small parking bays! Not only too narrow to begin with but a large concrete pillar where driver's door opens:angry-screaming:

Carpark.jpg

Last edited:
That's not John Lewis (Coles) car park!

That pillars evil twin is on the opposite side in Cardiff , i drove in forwards and the car that came later decided i wouldn't need to use the passenger door meaning i could only reverse out in a perfectly straight line until i was inches from the car parked behind :angry-screaming:

Hallamshire Hospital carpark, currently free due to the virus crisis. Headroom says 6'4" max so I can just get in by taking the antennas off. I doubt an 80 with any sort of lift would fit.

Everyone thinks of you as a man with a van!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Won't fit in the Garage (if you're lucky enough to have one)

Intoxicated persons considering it a great feat to climb on your roof even if you are inside. Also issues with unknown people just trying to get in and sometimes succeeding if you stop for too long (well I suppose it's a fairly safe place to be).

I had to take the lift in Spain to an underground car park. When the doors opened I only just managed to negotiate in to a parking place. On driving in to the lift next day the door had a huge sign on in red "1.5 Tonne".

Old lady in B&Q car park looking cross and mumbling "Is there any need to have such a big car"
Young lady at a zebra crossing that divides the university campus saying to her friend " I think he's trying to make up for having a small one" and wiggling her little finger at me :cry:

Old lady in B&Q car park looking cross and mumbling "Is there any need to have such a big car"
Young lady at a zebra crossing that divides the university campus saying to her friend " I think he's trying to make up for having a small one" and wiggling her little finger at me :cry:
Yeah, they soon change there tune when wanting a tow in the snow/conking out in a deep puddle..

"Is there any need to have such a big car" - Its so i cant hear the mother in law when she sits in the back .

" I think he's trying to make up for having a small one" - i don't have to hide my toys i bet you do .

On fast Spanish A roads our Civic is a better car by a mile but apart from that the 95 is almost perfect.Once after driving on to a muddy building site , when everyone else had to barrow or carry their tools i arrived home , unloaded , chucked in the bags & we blasted down the autovia for a weekend on the coast.

None that I can’t live with :lol:

Maybe negotiating my gate when I’m not paying attention. It’s an old wooden gate, so when anyone hits it and bits fall off, I just nail ‘em back on, no worries. :thumbup:

None that I can’t live with :lol:

Maybe negotiating my gate when I’m not paying attention. It’s an old wooden gate, so when anyone hits it and bits fall off, I just nail ‘em back on, no worries. :thumbup:
i only hit it the 1st time lol

Car parks..... height restrictions, size of the spaces, worse when people park too close leaving very little room, parking too close so can't fully swing the spare wheel.

People cutting you up! Made funny when they assume it's slow haha.

Not actually that spacious, my beemer has more cabin space.

Rego, 6 cyl registration here is nearly $1k/yr, but at least we don't have MOTs or anything like that.

Wife expecting you to fit 45 times much more stuff in than when we did camping in the car. But in reality it's maybe only 2-3 times more.

+1 on the height restrictions. It once took me an hour and 20 minutes to find a parking space in Paris (Yeah I know).. There isn't a single underground car park over 1.8m in the city centre..

Even in the 2m car parks that I can juuust sneak into, (Roof bars leave me at 1.97) people always look around when they hear the rooftop aerial click clack on every pipe/sign/cable tray in the place.

Other than that, I can't say I've experienced anything but upsides in 12 years... Yes it is fond of a drink compared to a hatchback, and shoes aren't cheap, but I reckon I've saved more in other maintenance costs because it's doesn't really break.

The only inconvenience for me is that mine is a 2 seat commercial, and now with our recent arrival of a tiny human, the cruiser is getting less use. Retrofitting a middle row is very simple from a physical point of view, but is an exercise in hoop jumping and loophole finding from a tax perspective here.

It's about a 20:40:40 split here when Uni is on for the vehicles - 20% cars (normally international students and some city origin students, and some staff) 40% soft readers (RAV4 etc) and 40% full 4x4 either wagons or utes.

Out of the 4x4s Toyota is king with Hilux or Cruisers. My HJ45 does stand out a bit (but there are another couple that appear, one driven by a couple of girls who'll always give you a wave) but the 80 blends in.

Does help we are a regional Uni with a big agricultural profile and student base.

Back