Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dreaded brake bleed issue

Steveindar

Country Flag
tanzania
Have had an issue with the brake pedal falling to the floor, so after reading up what to do and what not to do, I started the process. Even put a block under the pedal!
Been round each wheel three times and once at the LSV and bled all and no signs of air. A definite improvement at the pedal but still on long downhills it eventually bottoms out. Also the first poke of the pedal is soft, so another poke needed to stiffen everything up.
My question, should I persevere and keep bleeding or could there be something else wrong? MC is a single barrel thing.

Cheers

:text-+1:

Replacement seals kit and a good clean up, or better still a new master cylinder complete.

IMO, no short-cuts with the brakes.

It is showing for a V6 model as well as the diesel, perhaps a typo?

Has yours got ABS?

regards

Dave

If you mean any good compared with Toyota MC it's a risk. If you can afford it a Toyota MC would be safest.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Franks is the best advise, but Roughtrax have Aisin master cylinders for about the same price as the ebay one, depending on which version you need.

So I need one of these...

IMG_20160812_100532.jpg IMG_20160812_100543.jpg

Yes, that is a master cylinder. The best way is to contact whichever supplier you decide to use and give them your VIN, reg number or full vehicle details to be sure of getting the right part. Seriously though, and please don’t take offence if I’m wrongly judging you, but if you are unsure of things, then perhaps it would be an idea to get someone else in on the job to make sure that the right part is supplied and fitted correctly. Preaching over !

That's the another advantage going to Toyota. I've never had the wrong part come and if I'VE made a mistake they always give me a full refund.

It's a fairly easy part to change but make sure several times before you get on the road that the brakes work well and lock all 4 wheels and pedal feels reliable. Check for leaks and check the fluid level several times in the first days use.

I had exactly the same problem as you Steve. I even replaced the master cylinder with an Asin one from Roughtrax and still had the same problem.

Fitting a genuine Toyota master cylinder solved the problem and it has been fine since.

Yes, that is a master cylinder. The best way is to contact whichever supplier you decide to use and give them your VIN, reg number or full vehicle details to be sure of getting the right part. Seriously though, and please don’t take offence if I’m wrongly judging you, but if you are unsure of things, then perhaps it would be an idea to get someone else in on the job to make sure that the right part is supplied and fitted correctly. Preaching over !
No worries mate, I tried to stop working on cars when I was able to afford better wheels than my appy salary would allow, but having been raised on a diet of shagged landies over the years growing up in zim in the good old bad old days, spannering is no mystery. Just rather work on my bikes. This being mum's daily ride I get to find out about problems a lot slower than if I was driving myself.

I had exactly the same problem as you Steve. I even replaced the master cylinder with an Asin one from Roughtrax and still had the same problem.

Fitting a genuine Toyota master cylinder solved the problem and it has been fine since.
Thanks Bat21, I just get scared at the OE prices. If that's the way I have to go, then so be it. I see mine is AISIN, does that mean it could have been swopped out before or is that OE?

Thanks Bat21, I just get scared at the OE prices. If that's the way I have to go, then so be it. I see mine is AISIN, does that mean it could have been swopped out before or is that OE?
I get all my major parts from here, takes a while to arrive but worth the saving if you can wait
If you have an Asin one fitted (as I did) then yes it has been replaced before.

The clue is not in the name. Just because 2 cylinders look the same and have "aisin" on them does not mean they are same quality. Their customer writes the spec sheet. Therefore again the safest route is Toyota.

True, sometimes there’s more to it than just a shiny sticker and dealership profit. The production line inspection and quality control is usually more rigorous from the same O.E.M. manufacturer too. With some items it doesn’t matter too much, or if the vehicle is nearing end of life or indeed if finances are a bit tight, they can be an effective option. But care is needed as there are apparently some pretty dodgy items out there: http://automotivelogistics.media/news/counterfeit-toyota-service-parts-worth-1m-seized-china

If goods have your branded logo on they legally belong to you so you can pick them up and walk off with them. Best to have Trading Standards with you though.

If you are worried about the cost of a new one you can always pick up a 2nd hand genuine one from a wreckers and refurb it with a seal kit. With a dollop of common sense the kit is pretty easy to put in.

Talking about genuine and fake products, the local spares shops are full of Toyota branded service items, how are you supposed to tell the difference? We have a local Tanzania Bureau of Standards who couldn't give a rats ass about quality of anything, too much dodgy revenue and import duties involved, so no good asking them to intervene. And the local Toyota dealership/importer seems incapable of sorting the problem, rather preferring to sell all their spares to local shops than keep any significant stock themselves. And the prices are no cheaper.
Pic of the oil-filter package, numbers all fit, so how do I know?

IMG_20160814_101913[1].jpg

In this country the genuine oil filter box has a round shiny what's it called on that shimmers in different lights. Hologram ?

To me that looks like cheap cardboard and the colour is not red enough but I'm no Toyota brand expert. I would think they would have the hologram worldwide.

Back