Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Duel fuel stoves

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
I'm thinking of buying a new camping stove, have any of our members got experience of using dual fuel stoves such as the Colman ones, do they soot up the pots and pans used on them? is there any danger of flare-ups when in use?

Up to now I've only used gas ones and I have had a few hair raising moments with them :icon-surprised:

(not necessarily hair burning ones)
flamethrower-2.gif

I have one and love it. The best thing is how hot they can get when compared to gas.

They can flare up ... and do blacken pots a little. If their not running properly ... then the soot on the pots is quite bad (i.e if there is any yellow flame)

I've never had one flare up though once everything is up to temperature and running well.

I've used the Coleman twin burner and only use it with unleaded petrol. So long as you have primed it with enough pressure and keep it primed every now and again during cooking you should have no problems with sooting. Flare ups don't happen, I suppose if you swing it round your head while cooking then it might be a problem but otherwise I've been really pleased with mine.

One thing to note Chas ... using them inside isn't a good idea. Especially when running on unleaded. The fumes coming out get to be too much quite quickly

If you use the coleman fuel there is no soot and less fumes but it costs more than unleaded.

To keep the cost down you can also use brake cleaner or panel wipe ... I'm yet to try that though as the cost is just so much more than unleaded.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chas I have an MSR stove, that runs on anything. I have used Unleaded, coleman white, but more regularly diesel.

Providing you jet it right, there isn't a problem and you can regulate the burn to allow simmering, which is harder of the gas versions. I have an MSR reactor whicg is great for fast boil stuff, but useless for simmering stuff.

I have the big green double burner unit & also the single sportster unit, both from Coleman & have just come back from our 3 week tour de France when I used the pair of them to cook for the six of us most successfully :)

Brilliant units the both of them; used on laning & Lincomb trips previously running on unleaded. The single burner we used for frying & kettle boiling although the big boy is great for both functions too. Simmering on the second burner of the big boy also good.

I like them but will probably opt for a gas hob when building the camp cooking unit for the trailer & our next expedition as I hated refuelling so often . As our trips will be campsite based, no need to be fuel dependant...

Get one, great bits of kit. See Chris' s stove thread for further accolades ;-)

I have the Coleman dual fuel 424 stove, great bit of kit. I only ever use unleaded petrol and find if the tank is kept topped up / pressurized there are no soot issues.

Chas I have an MSR stove, that runs on anything. I have used Unleaded, coleman white, but more regularly diesel.

Providing you jet it right, there isn't a problem and you can regulate the burn to allow simmering, which is harder of the gas versions. I have an MSR reactor whicg is great for fast boil stuff, but useless for simmering stuff.

Rollence.

Can you get Coleman White Fuel in South Africa? I have a MSR Dragonfly that I love but have only used it with the Coleman White Fuel.

Marius

Yeah, massive thumbs up on the Coleman double burner. No soot, no fumes and I cook inside with it. Just done a week in Scotland and used it all the time. Mine is battered and bruised but just keeps on cookin'.

I will probably have another for the new truck. I am going to spray the old one with BBQ / Stove paint soon. It's in a bit of a state. Being in a truck on fire didn't help.

Try engine enamel as well, that's got a high heat resistance, and if you get the clear stuff you can keep all the patina!

We've been using it on stuff that is going into the garden that we want as a distressed or a protective finish (Singer Sewing Machine base, old gate)

Would you have to bake engine enamel on? I don't think much of the stove would get hot enough to cure it properly?

Back