Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

E10 fuel coming soon

6hrs to charge a Tesla over night from flat I believe (I may need to update this as it’s something a colleague has). When everyone that has an EV is charging them over night, the electricity won’t be so cheap.
Depending on the Tesla (i.e size of battery) and how low the charge is and what full means.

I have a model 3p which has a 75kw battery and charge time from around 15% to 90% is 8+ hours on a 7Kw charger... I do 150miles to work and back daily, so have to charge fully every day, and yes the WLTP range is stated as 320miles... I have about 30miles left at the end of the day, go figure.

EV in my opinion is not the answer or better for the environment as that power has to come from somewhere (and in the UK it's not all green power whatever that is) and the special elements needed for the batteries are not easily found.

I wish I was clever enough to work out what the actual impact of my 15year old land cruiser compared to my 16month old Tesla is to the environment is. I can't see me keeping the Tesla for more than 4 years....

I need to check the impact of E10 is to my other vehicles, but no doubt the cynic in me sees this as yet another drive by the .gov to push us in a ill thought through direction.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oh this climate change is not new. Few decades ago bulk drug manufacturing units were most polluting so climate change guardians did similar drama n decided to stop this like they decided to stop using diesel and petrol cars. These moral guardians need medicines for their use as well as to make money so they came up with concept of globalisation and all the bulk drug manufacturing was outsourced to other parts of the world as if earth dosent get heated from pollution from those parts of the world. The guardians got the clean manufactured form of medicines and still making money by selling these. Now all these existing running petrol n diesel vehicles will be sent out to other parts of the world, automanufacturers will still make money, petroleum countries will still make money along with their newly invented EV toys forced on the guardians. Guardians of earth... who are these actors who are the ones who run the show with these guardians as actors....

When you look at the mining areas where the materials for the battery packs for the EV's come from and its a right smash and grab with a very bad impact on the land where it's extracted from.

To drive a 25 to 30 year old vehicle then it's better to use it... but it doesn't give the revenue that a new one costs/gives...

Patch up the oldie and it will reward you in giving you years of use.. is my moto!

Part of the issue with these sorts of reviews is that they typically compare new BEVs with new ICEs - a better study would be a new BEV vs an existing ICE - i.e. with the original environmental impacts of the ICE already written down (because we can't "unmake" existing vehicles). One of the biggest environmental impacts of any vehicle, and especially BEVs, is the initial production. This is why incentivising people to scrap perfectly functional existing ICE cars in favour of new BEVs makes no sense what-so-ever, other than to reduce environmental impact in the place of use, not globally (alluding to Rav's post above).

OK then let's take four modern vehicles from one manufacturer be it Kia BMW Honda one diesel one petrol one hybrid one electric fill each one with wife and two kids and enough luggage for a two week holiday all said families live in Inverness and all said families are holidaying down in St Ives Cornwall you know who is going to have a less stress journey and less of Are We There YET
Electric Vehicles holidays you know it'll end in Tears

Part of the issue with these sorts of reviews is that they typically compare new BEVs with new ICEs - a better study would be a new BEV vs an existing ICE - i.e. with the original environmental impacts of the ICE already written down (because we can't "unmake" existing vehicles). One of the biggest environmental impacts of any vehicle, and especially BEVs, is the initial production. This is why incentivising people to scrap perfectly functional existing ICE cars in favour of new BEVs makes no sense what-so-ever, other than to reduce environmental impact in the place of use, not globally (alluding to Rav's post above).
what seems to be going over a lot of peoples heads though dave is air pollution in cities.
it will be the biggest clean up since coal fires were banned.

As I said before, I'm not an EV fan...yet. Constantly suffering from range anxiety is definitely not the way to have a relaxing trip.

However, let's say that each of the above use their car for 50 mile (total) commute Mon-Fri and then a further 150 mile average over each weekend - so around 20k miles a year.

The family with the EV would save enough on fuel and (if it's a company car) on BIK tax, that it would probably pay for the whole holiday or an "upgrade" to a better holiday.

Horses for courses....

what seems to be going over a lot of peoples heads though dave is air pollution in cities.
it will be the biggest clean up since coal fires were banned.
Not convinced it will be the huge difference that is claimed.... Brighton has a fleet of "green" EV busses .... only thing is the heating and A/C is still driven by a diesel engine that conveniently isn't taken into account when looking at the bus emissions because it's not the motive power ... they also breakdown regularly and have to be returned to the manufacturer on the back of a big diesel truck... many other public transport systems also rely on diesel engines for heat or cooling , the chiller units on EV vans will still be powered by diesel .

Ever wonder why all the foliage on the side of a railway has a rusty hue ;-) electric trains aint "Zero" either...they leave some very nasty products in their wake...

EV's themselves are not and never will be "zero emission's " ....every time you brake you release a cloud of fibres and metal fragments into the air, every revolution of the tyres releases rubber particles that then get washed into the water system.... this is no more than IC vehicles but again is left out of the calculation of the new wonder vehicles

The first young environmental activist and campaigner that publicly has an irreversible sterilisation will gain a bit of credibility in my book because the only way forward is to slow or halt population growth ....

ok, i will respectfully disagree with you on that one.

i think you know how i stand on overpopulation. thats one hot potato that aint going away...

CG - I neither agree nor disagree - my point is that its easy to aim for local improvements at the cost of global impact. Great that local air improves, but at what cost? Local authorities have ZERO interest in the big picture, just their own patch.

EV's themselves are not and never will be "zero emission's " ....every time you brake you release a cloud of fibres and metal fragments into the air, every revolution of the tyres releases rubber particles that then get washed into the water system.... this is no more than IC vehicles but again is left out of the calculation of the new wonder vehicles

I've heard this argument before and is what the most extreme of the eco brigade use in their call for the complete banning of ALL privately owned vehicles in towns and cities. If they get their way, in 50 years time we'll probably all be on horse back and up to our eyes in horse sh*t. Be great for the roses though! :icon-biggrin:

Last year I had to get my work van recovered from Dundee to South Yorkshire on the back of an Iveco lorry. The Scottish driver said he did the same run regularly with a troublesome Tesla that apparently could only be serviced in Sheffield.

Tesla are known to be quite notorious for keeping any defects or issues under wraps - to the point that they even had owners signing NDAs to prevent publicity before defects were fixed and repairs were carried out.

Admittedly that was a few years ago, not sure if things have changed....

Back