Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electric vehicles .

Is there anyone at all anywhere who actually believes its about the planet .

ad6de8f644737fdc63b278c265da43a0.jpg

Is there anyone at all anywhere who actually believes its about the planet .

View attachment 155761
There are unfortunately.
I believe it’s a push by manufacturers to have vehicles with built in obsolescence. That and replacing all the diesel vehicles people were persuaded to buy!!
As I’ve said before on here, air quality in our cities is the best it has ever been in history. The vast majority of harmful nitrates don’t come from vehicles.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The supply of electricity is still a big problem that's yet to be sorted. Also, after a few accidents with people poking a screwdriver in the wrong place on their electric cars, will legislation that home maintenance is banned follow ?

p.s. Although pretty one sided, this about the Drax power station which is said to put out the equivalent level of particulates as 3 million diesels, is worth a look if interested.
https://www.biofuelwatch.org.uk/axedrax-campaign/

Last edited:
There are unfortunately.
I believe it’s a push by manufacturers to have vehicles with built in obsolescence. That and replacing all the diesel vehicles people were persuaded to buy!!
As I’ve said before on here, air quality in our cities is the best it has ever been in history. The vast majority of harmful nitrates don’t come from vehicles.
Agree Moggy.. Check out 'The Great Stink'... London in the 1850's..... Water and air Pollution were The worse in History... Londons got it Good nowadays....

Poor quality air caused by cars in parts of London and Birmingham is worse than it's ever been. We don't have to worry about historical poor air quality, the causes of those have gone.

I thought the point of electric cars was to move pollution out of the cities to unoccupied areas.

The German study is only "new" in as much as the pollution levels have actually been calculated rather than guessed at. Everybody knew production and recharging would produce pollutants.

The real trouble is there are just too many people to support in a lifestyle to which they have become accustomed.

It's either reduce the population or start walking.

Last edited:
They're a pain in the arse to work on at times too lol.

The ATA/IMI want to have it made law you must be qualified and registered to work on them, you have to be qualified for home electrics which is safer and lower voltage. You get it wrong with an electric vehicle and you probably won't know about it! People don't think twice about calling an electrician out.

I've had to deal with a couple of cars that have been 'repaired' by people who don't know what they're doing, some of the safety systems had been bypassed to get rid of a warning light and made the car dangerous.

I rewired and re-plumbed this house rerouting and relocating all the hardware before i bought it , without knowing this the council sent out pro gas fitters , electricians and plumbers to inspect it all so they could sign it off as safe for sale . I think it was the electrician who said it's the first house he ever signed off without haven't to remedy something , you should give yourself a pat on the back he said with a wink "your mate" did a very good job of this .

The idea of fitting a car stereo fills me with dread .

The nightmare of Windows 10 tells me all i need to know about electric cars , recognizing it was an info raping handicap nobody in their right mind might want they simply forced people to accept the "upgrade" .

Cars will be worse before long fines will be automatically issued and deducted from your bank because you didn't turn your engine off while sat at traffic lights .

Automatic brakes to become mandatory in 40 countries in 2020 , they already have the technology .

I dont know a single person/ friend/ relative who has an Electric car.. It would be nice to get some real feed back about how bad they really are from someone who's got one. Does anyone know anyone who Has.???? (Im assuming they are Bad)

Lad at work runs an i3, lives near catterick and works in York, so some town stuff and the A1M for most of his driving. On a full charge he's getting 170 to 185 miles. He pays a monthly fee of £8.99 for his charge card which uses public charge points, never charges at home only the charge points (we have one at work too) Loves the car.

I like them to drive (a bit different to a normal car) and I like the hybrids to drive but they're not that economical tbh.

Lad at work runs an i3, lives near catterick and works in York, so some town stuff and the A1M for most of his driving. On a full charge he's getting 170 to 185 miles. He pays a monthly fee of £8.99 for his charge card which uses public charge points, never charges at home only the charge points (we have one at work too) Loves the car.

I like them to drive (a bit different to a normal car) and I like the hybrids to drive but they're not that economical tbh.
Does the £8.99 cover all charges in that month, Or do you still pay for each charge when you charge it up... If that makes sense

Some charge points you then pay a small amount for the electricity used but a lot are free. Mainly motorway services etc you pay for.

He has rapid charge option so can get approx 80% charge in an hour which you pay a small fee to use.

Lad at work doesn't pay any more as knows where to charge it.

Its his company car, where the other sales guys have to pay per mile for fuel he doesn't so saves a fortune.

The renewed “push” to get everyone in electric vehicles will have the manufacturers rubbing their hands with glee. BMW i3 from £35k. Yeah right, Ill have 2 then.
There was an interesting program on recently called, Uranium, Twisting The Dragon, giving the history of its discovery and the uses its being put to and the problems it causes when things go wrong like Chernobyl and Fukushima etc. One interesting stat thrown up was the massive increase in demand for electricity due to the ongoing population explosion and the prediction that between now and 2050 we will use more power than the entire human has done so far. It took 200,000 years for the human population to reach 1 billion but only 200 years more to hit 7 billion. Hands up all those that think wind and solar power alone are the answer. No chance.

Poor quality air caused by cars in parts of London and Birmingham is worse than it's ever been. We don't have to worry about historical poor air quality, the causes of those have gone.

I thought the point of electric cars was to move pollution out of the cities to unoccupied areas.

The German study is only "new" in as much as the pollution levels have actually been calculated rather than guessed at. Everybody knew production and recharging would produce pollutants.

The real trouble is there are just too many people to support in a lifestyle to which they have become accustomed.

It's either reduce the population or start walking.
As I said though, the majority of harmful pollutants, notably nitrates, that are inhaled do not come from vehicles. They come from the home.
Whilst the amount of pollution produced by cars may have increased (although I don’t think that can be evidenced as there aren’t records going back far enough) simply as a result of more cars overall air quality is significantly better. I’m unconvinced tbh that cars produce more pollution now than 30-40 years ago, even allowing for the extra volume.

Last edited:
The pollutants being produced by todays vehicles were obviously produced by vehicles of old, along with far more heavy particulates, lead from petrol and exccessive hydrocarbons from poor fuelling systems etc. All the latter have largely been eliminated with the progress made in engine design and emmisions systems but the flip side is the vastly increased number of vehicles on the road. The way pollution is measured is also more critical than it was, say, 40 years ago. I recently saw a graph plotting Sheffields air quality since the 60’s which shows it as vastly improved but apparently there are still roads in the town centre which exceed the latest acceptable limits and are regarded as dangerous to health.

The idea of electric cars is hugely idealized..

In an ideal world, they would work. But in reality.. Where do we get the electricity from? What is the environmental impact on the manufacturing process of these?

From memory you need to drive 500,000 miles before the emissions finally balance out - but are the batteries going to last for 500,000 miles?

Back