Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Elm 327 obd

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Any one used one of these OBD communicators, linked to a smart phone for example.
ELM327
Description:
OBD-II Software for ELM327 is a free program that allows you to use your PC and a hardware interface to get theinformation from your car's computer.The program is very user-friendly, and easy to learn. It is also very easy to install:simply extract the files into a folder on your computer's hard drive, and you're ready to go. To uninstall theprogram, simply delete the entire contents of the folder where the program resides.The software supports two platforms - DOS and Windows.

Features:
The program lets you perform the following operations:

1.Read diagnostic trouble codes, both generic and manufacturer-specific, and display their meaning (over 3000 genericcode definitions in the database).
2.Clear trouble codes and turn off the MIL ("Check Engine" light)

3.Display current sensor data:
Engine RPM
Calculated Load Value
Coolant Temperature
Fuel System Status
Vehicle Speed
Short Term Fuel Trim
Long Term Fuel Trim
Intake Manifold Pressure
Timing Advance
Intake Air Temperature
Air Flow Rate
Absolute Throttle Position
Oxygen sensor voltages/associated short term fuel trims
Fuel System status
Fuel Pressure
Many others...
Upcoming Features:
Data graphing and logging
Freeze Frame data
Continuous and Non-Continuous Oxygen Sensor test results
GRA.

Attachments

• ELM327.jpg
    ELM327.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 195
  • ELM327a.jpg
    ELM327a.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 184
I have before ... and they work very well.

If only the 80 had an OBD II port!

They do of course totally depend on what information your ECU does provide.

Crispin has something similar that works in his 150, but does not work in my 120. It really does depend on when your 120 was made and it it complies with the OBDII stuff

I think the 120 only got full OBD II compliant in late 2006 or 2007 (although 2008 also rings a bell) when the law came into force fully. But the Aussies seemed to get full OBD II in about 2003 which is what has been very confusing, so they're able to use the ScanGuage for eg.

Unless you get the Mr T unit like Warren has you won't get any data :(

If you have an OBD2 compatible car it just works. Seems to work fine on my Volvo.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Used an ELM327 on my Volvo too and it worked well with torque pro on my android phone.

Used an ELM327 on my Volvo too and it worked well with torque pro on my android phone.
Hi,

What else can you display with the torque Pro.?
Is it bluethoothed to your phone?

Gra.

Yes its blue toothed to the phone or tablet. You can read fault codes, clear them and create dashboards for any OBD data your vehicle will output. For example boost pressure, MAP, inlet temp, engine temp, fuel rail pressure, throttle position - you get the idea.it can also graph it for timeline analysis to help troubleshooting .

Last edited:
OK, so quite a bit,,

But can it show MPG or L/100km etc?

Thats the reason I was thinking of one.

Gra,

OK, so quite a bit,,

But can it show MPG or L/100km etc?

Thats the reason I was thinking of one.

Gra,

It depends on what the ECU will tell it. If the ECU supports it then yes. If not then no. Every vehicle will output different stats to the OBD port aside from the standard basic parameters required.

Back