Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine blow

Martin Crawford

I just bought a 97 Landcruiser Colorado GX. All seems fine except........
Large blow when oil filler cap is removed, especially at idle. It's not so bad 1500 rpm and above.
It doesn't smell bad (like clean oil in a barrel, not exhaust fume smell)
It pulled 3 ton up a steep and long hill today with no problem.
Hope I haven't bought trouble.

COuld it be the breather is blocked? There is normally a breather which would blow into the air intake which stops it pressurising. If this is blocked then that might be the cause. Not sure where it is on the 90. If it is, I would suspect it would be cheap / easy to fix.

Someone with more knowledge will be along soon though, I'm only the receptionist. Coffee? :whistle:

When typing your post click on the smiles to the right of the text box ;)

Which engine have you got ??

On the 1KZ-TE (3 litre diesel) there is a breather linking the cam cover to the inlet side of the turbo - here:

DSCN5965copy.jpg

It doesn't sound as though you have much to worry about. There will always be some apparant 'blow' with the oil filler cap removed simply because of the displacement of the pistons in the crankcase. I know they should, in theory, just cancel each other out, but it never seems to work that way :?

Bob.

Unfamiliar with engine layout yet but it is a 3 litre diesel.
I'll have a snoop tomorrow.
thanks for the help.

On a different matter, I had a hugh fishtail with my 3 ton load on the way down the other side of that steep hill.
It frightened the be jasus out of me and other road users too. :pray:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Martin Crawford said:
On a different matter, I had a hugh fishtail with my 3 ton load on the way down the other side of that steep hill.
It frightened the be jasus out of me and other road users too. :pray:

Been there - with two horses in a trailer behind an 88" Land Rover :o Its amazing how much road space I had by the time I stopped on the hard shoulder :D

Do you have the long wheelbase KZJ95 ??, more stable with a heavy trailer than the short wheelbase KZJ90 models.

3 tons is a bit OTT for the Colorado so you have to be careful - the LWB only weighs 2 tons (empty), so downhill its easy for the trailer to take over.

Is the trailer level when hitched-up ??

Is the nose weight in the right ballpark - it has to be positive and around 100 Kilos.

I'm assuming its a twin axle - are the tyre pressures right - and all the same ??

Does the trailer have high sides and were you in a cross-wind ??

Was the load centred between the wheels ??

Are the brakes adjusted properly so that none are binding and all come on evenly ??

Does it have a hydraulically-damped hitch (the old sprung ones can snatch and cause problems) ??

A heavy trailer with a short drawbar will be more prove to weaving than one with a long drawbar. Its my Rice trailer with 6X16" wheels and a short drawbar that weaves with me. The Ifor Williams with 13" wheels and a long drawbar has never given me any concerns (but I am paranoid about keeping everything working properly).

Even with everything within spec, you can get caught out by rough road surfaces, camber, cross-winds, making steering adjustments, having to slow on a down-grade :roll: The joys of towing.

Bob.

Back