Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine Guardian

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
Anyone seen or have one of these fitted?

I was thinking of fitting one to the 80 ready for next years Morocco trip.... any good?

ive come across them before, but never used one.

IMHO theres better gauges out there, one of which is the madman gauge. i know some one who fitted one of these when doing a derv engine swap into a suzuki, and he has nothing but good things to say about it.

:thumbup:

http://www.madman.co.za/

Edit. they even do toyota ones.

http://www.madman.co.za/toyotakits.htm

I have the Madman Gauge fitted to my truck, so far I’m happy with it.

That's a lot of money for what's little more than a digital temperature gauge.

Paul, have you looked at/read Dr. Wildsmith's post on his Arduino gadget thing - I suspect it would easily do the job you're looking at (and autopilot your truck while it was at it :D )

To answer your question, I've never seen or heard of that Ebay jobbie but have heard good things about the Madman set-up. Personally I would use Jon's solution and know that the ATF temp and coolant level was also being watched over ;)

As stated above I have the madman gauge fitted, it is monitoring EGT pre turbo, coolant temp, coolant level, engine oil pressure and engine oil temp. I opted to fit stand-alone boost gauge, in a pod.
IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

I personally like the fact if any alarms are triggered an audible alarm is sounded, so even when I’m in a daydream I know there is a problem.

This is the type of gauge pod I fitted the boost gauge in, the only problem being the pod is not deep enough for the boost hose going to the VDO boost gauge. It just meant drilling a little hole in the rear of the pod and running the hose up between the windscreen and pod, and then into the pod.
KGrHqEOKjME4iD7dkHEBOQ4s9peD0_12.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
frank rabbets said:
Charlie, Where did you get your gauge pods from?

Frank

Will check and post the link tomorrow when I get back to my computer.

I got the pod off ebay, see item number 280795274297

I think having an alarm is worth quite a lot, I'd have stuck with the OEM gauge if I hadn't wanted an alarm.

I think those or something very similar have been mentioned elsewhere but I can't remember where :)

i think this is the thread your thinking of John. :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=13682

ive been running one in my truck for a few months now and im very impressed with it, especially for £10 delivered! :clap:

Ben said:
.... ive been running one in my truck for a few months now and im very impressed with it, especially for £10 delivered! :clap:
Where did you end up placing your probe Ben?

i mounted it to one of the bolts that hold the rocker cover on. so the bolt goes down into the head, and the probe is mounted under the head of the bolt. :thumbup:

works really well and has shown how grossly inaccurate the standard gauge is. :roll:

the needle on the standard gauge sits at halfway at 50 degrees, and then doesnt move until the engine is near 90 degrees! :shock: :thumbdown:

Ben said:
i mounted it to one of the bolts that hold the rocker cover on. so the bolt goes down into the head, and the probe is mounted under the head of the bolt. :thumbup:
So is your probe not like this one? :think:

Is yours the one with the 'flat end' with the hole in the middle? have you got an eBay link?

they do them with 2 different probes. one with a hole, and one which is just a round probe about 5mm diameter and 20mm long.

i wanted the probe with the hole in the middle but didnt get that one. :thumbdown:

so my solution was to simply use a cable terminal. i found the probe fitted inside one of the bigger yellow ones perfectly. :thumbup:

Crimpterminal1.jpg

have you bought one for your 80 Paul? :)

Back