Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine rebuild

Do you know what caused your block cracking?

Frank
No idea Fank, I have a feeling it was most likely like that when I bought it, it always had Black oily 'stuff' in the headder tank no matter how many times I cleaned it. The header tank always smelt of diesel and exhaust fumes too, I guess this was due to fuel being forced into the crack as the piston came up, or combustion fumes being forced in there following the 'big bang'.

I'd had the 80 for 15 months before this over heating problem reared its head.... but when it did happen, we had just done 600+ miles in a very hot Spain.

This years Morocco trip went without any mechanical issues at all.

Last edited:
Mis posted and now moved

Last edited:
I tried to rebuild my engine but I screwed it up so I had to buy one from Engine World Inc in Houston, Tx bestjapaneseengines.com

.... That's a job well done - hope it's running like new :clap:
6 years and 30,000 miles on and the motor is still running just great. She uses no oil between oil changes and no coolant since the rebuild.

Can't believe it has been 6 years :icon-eek:

That's really good news Paul, I've just enjoyed reading this thread through again!

Brave move but well worth it in the long-term.

Crackin' looking truck, one to be very proud of, for sure :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Paul,
this is inspiring...
what do you think I should budget for in new parts for a re-build, roughly... Excluding skimming and re-boring etc.

Hi Paul,
this is inspiring...
what do you think I should budget for in new parts for a re-build, roughly... Excluding skimming and re-boring etc.
Sorry I missed your post here Womble.
From memory the parts were about £1,600 from Ian of this parish, so considerably cheaper than my local Toyota dealer.

I've been keeping an eye on this (nothing wrong with my 80 afaik). And then I found this on YouTube. Very interesting. And you can get boxed refurbished motors fairly easily if you're stuck for time or skills ...

Back