Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine rebuild

Lucky you managed to get at least some of the crank on that shot, Paul. Must have been very tricky indeed. I find that using image stabiliser can help where exposure is a problem. ;)

Chris

now now boys. Each to his own. If Paul wants to wear a lacy bra then that's his choice.

I have to confess, that was a carefully composed shot just for you lot :D

What Crank

I never noticed one where was it ???? :mrgreen:

Cheers Mrs Paul

Mal :flags-wavegreatbritain:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I believe the crank was hidden behind the norks :shock: :lol:

Nice rebuild write up. :thumbup:

Managed to get the motor back in today, it is easier to fit the top bell housing bolts with the head off so the bottom end went in first.
1102138628_mGR5D-L.jpg

Once in the head was next, torquing all 26 bolts first to 69Nm... then an extra 90 degrees.... then another 90 degrees. This is a tiring job if doing it on your own, luckily my assistant did the hard bit while I steadied the extension.
1102138676_pE2GB-L.jpg

Putting the bonnet back on is so much easier when there are two extra pairs of hands.
1102138795_kxTbz-L.jpg

While things were more accessible, I decided to do a job I have been meaning to do for a while.
The rear heater pipes are prone to rusting so now was the time to bypass them.
1102138848_js6jz-L.jpg

I just cut the existing rubber hoses and pressed in 15mm Yorkshire Solder Ring Stop Ends.
1102162504_wYCAn-L.jpg

p4752216_x.jpg

Next weekend will be spent fitting all the ancillaries, pipes and wires etc....... and then it's time to press the go button :dance:

Attachments

• 1102138628_mGR5D-L.jpg
    1102138628_mGR5D-L.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 1102138676_pE2GB-L.jpg
    1102138676_pE2GB-L.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 1102138795_kxTbz-L.jpg
    1102138795_kxTbz-L.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 85
The plan was to get her back on the road before the snow arrived..... damn, looks like I lost that race.
1106137698_Jp2NQ-L.jpg

It's under hear somewhere :?
1106137747_YbFyb-L.jpg

It's surprising how easy it is to forget about the cold once you're concentrating on the task.
1106137771_ThSTw-L.jpg

Just the exhaust manifold & turbo, air con pump, cam cover, intake pipe and the batteries to fit now.

Attachments

• 1106137698_Jp2NQ-L.jpg
    1106137698_Jp2NQ-L.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 1106137747_YbFyb-L.jpg
    1106137747_YbFyb-L.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 108
  • 1106137771_ThSTw-L.jpg
    1106137771_ThSTw-L.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 93
Bit late for you for this job Paul but these gloves with some latex ones over the top are what I use to keep my fingers warm when working outside this time of year :)

Have to say that I wore nitrile gloves today just so that the spanner didn't stick to my skin! You lose a bit dexterity and touch, but you stay a good bit warmer.

Looking forward to hear when it's running again Paul. It's a heck of an undertaking pulling that out, taking it to bits and sticking it back in again. Perhaps you could summarise the whole removal replacement experience into a few crucial chunks at some point. On a scale of 10 how challenging was it? All dependent on ability I know. But for you average spanner savvy home mechanic?

Chris

Gloves, lol ;)
Woke up to frost on my truck this morning - my first ever on a vehicle I personally own :) After figuring out (within seconds) that all water associated with the wipers was properly frozen, I got out and scraped everything off..
Spent from 10am till 6:30pm working outside in various London parking lots whilst I ferried my missus around. Didn't use gloves and it was pretty freezing, but I did get to test out the Barrier Cream Chris - it's a winner!!!
Will be doing the front brake service tomorrow using Jon's write up so thanks gents..
5 Days, 20 odd hours to go till we depart :shock:

MMMM

A multi Coloured bush I see

Does she know you got it.

SilverLady said:
MMMM

A multi Coloured bush I see

Does she know you got it.
No just a well trimmed Brazilian.

What a frikking day today has been :x

Decided to use the hoist to lower the exhaust manifold and turbo in, made life a lot easier.

Bolted up the manifold to head, fitted the water inlet and out let pipes, fitted the oil return pipe, bolted the turbo stay bracket to the block and then went to bolt in the turbo oil feed pipe to the block.

It was slightly out of line, so I thought the easiest option was to undo all the bolts from the manifold and turbo to allow the manifold to move enough for the pipe to line up.... not a feking chance. I spent the last 2 hours trying to fit the banjo but it's not having it. It has to be bang inline before the bolt will screw in... but it beat me today :x

Each time I put a spanner down the warmness of the spanner was melting the top layer of ice which then froze again sticking the spanner to the drive :doh:

Back