Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine upgrades

I watched a soft-top 70 with a Lexus V8 in the Stanbic Challenge in Zambia last year. No pics or videos, I'm afraid, but believe me the sound from that engine puts shivers down the spine.

Awesome what some people do with their motors...

Planning to swop mine for the Lexus engine in May, with the help of west coast. Donor vehicle ready in the shape of a LS400 bought for £460, with 89k on it so figure if I sell parts and scrap will get this back. Have seen 2L-T engines going for £450 on eBay, or if sell turbo, head, pump separate may fetch a bit more so hoping it shouldn't cost too much on top of this. Will make sure I take plenty of photos...

Watching this one Simon - can't wait to see your results!!! :cool:

And you got your Lexus for less than Paul did!!! :lol:

My mate has a LS400 in his hot rod, he is on the second engine.

When i said about this he said "Get the wiring right first time or you blow and engine"

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Birder said:
My mate has a LS400 in his hot rod, he is on the second engine.

When i said about this he said "Get the wiring right first time or you blow and engine"

:eh: How does wiring a motor incorrectly cause it to blow?

Simon_LJ70 said:
Donor vehicle ready in the shape of a LS400 bought for £460,

Doesn't sound like a spare motor would set you back too much if worst case scenario struck, besides the bulk of the work and cost is getting it to fit not the motor itself...

Ryan Thomson said:
:eh: How does wiring a motor incorrectly cause it to blow?

I am not sure, but when he did the wiring he used a wiring diagram he purchased on the net and a wrong wire (Or one no longer used) caused the engine to blow after a few miles. Most likely timing or lack of fuel from the ECU. The second one he did the wiring himself from the old car.

I will ask him when he gets back, the engine that went wrong is now a coffe table in his lounge.

Well it's all booked now, it's going in on the 14th of May for 2 weeks, so my last month of 2l-t! They've ordered a conversion plate so I can keep it manual. Will post as many pictures as I can :)

Whoop whoop - looking forward to seeing how this maps out :cool:

Found out what blew my mates first engine.

His first engine was out of a Soarer, the second one from a LS400.

At the back of the engine where it bolts to the bell housing there is a bolt that looks like its a spacer. In fact it has several cables that go into it as an earth, he says you cant see the wires inside the block.

One of these wires, that you cant inside the block see was corroded and would make earth at times but the earth would fail going down the road. The engine just died and the timing changes and when it gained earth it gave a sudden rush of blood to its head and made the timing belt jump.

The Lexus engine did not have the same earth block so you may well be OK but all he says is check you have a good earth.

Best of luck, and take loads of pictures. If you want I will host the images for you

Colin

Thanks Colin, the engine is from a 400 but will make sure we check the earth just in case, wouldn't want to blow after all that effort

Man, this is going to be awesome :twisted: . Cant wait to see it come to fruition. And please post summing with Audio of that V8 revving when it's done... :thumbup:

Just thought you might like to see my mate Lexus Hot Rod and the engine that went bang

bob4-01.jpg

bob4-02.jpg

bob4-03.jpg

bob4-04.jpg

bob4-05.jpg

That is stunning. Would love to hear that... and take it for a spin

I'd throw one of these in much more fun! Cheap as chips, all toyota stuff so an easy conversion, 6 wires to the ecu will make it run. 1JZ-GTE is what you want.

Mine made 449bhp last night on the dyno & "only" 300bhp at 3500rpm at the wheels & theres still another 0.4 bar on top of that to come. They do 280bhp in standard trim.

PCDV0036.JPG

I love this thread!!! :cool:

Thats a sweet looking rod - whats the shell based on?

Back