Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine will not start after injectionpump seal replacement

studentsoverlanding

Hello all,

I am an owner of a landcruiser HDJ80 4.2td. (automatic 1993)
I had a small leak in my fuel injection pump, which i mended by replacing a seal in between the pump housing and the cap which acts also as a support for the vacuum pump.

All the pullys are in the correct position, as is described in the workshop manual. The system is bled from any air, the solenoid is still working and the timingbelt is also in it's original place as i have marked before demolition.... Still the engine will not start... It turns over as it should, no strange noises and just a strong crank. Fuel is coming out of the tubes which are connected to the injectors, but there is just no combustion as it seems.

Does anyone have any idea in how to solve this problem?

Greetings, Tim Super
www.studentsoverlanding.nl

Re: Engine will not start after injectionpump seal replaceme

Hi tim.

Did you take the fuel pump off to do the seal?

If theres fuel at the injectors it should run.Sometimes you have to turn them over a fair bit if you have played with anything to do with the fuel system.

When your cranking it you havent got all the injector pipes open have you? If you have get someone to crank it whilst you tighten each one up.

Karl

Hi Karl, thanks for the fast reply!

Yup, we had to take it off because we couldn't reach the allen bolt on the back below the gouvernor.

We cracked the injector lines one by one, cranking the engine for a couple of seconds after each one to check if fuel is coming out. In the meanwhile we've tried to start so much that batteries need to be recharged for some more attempts, so that should have been enough to get it going...

I have issues myself due to running on cooking oil. Change fuel filters a bit etc etc.

I understand about flatening the batterys.If the batterys arent really good then they can soon go flat.

Are you sure that the pump has located on the woodrough key? If so then as long as Your bottom pulley is at top dead or bottom dead and so is the crank you should be ok.

With the diesel if the soloind is ok and you have diesel at the injectors it should run.

Double check your timming marks.

If it was ok before theres no reason it isnt now. Crack all injectors and tighten them one by one.

Karl

It is possible that there is still air in the system, there may be enough fuel to leak out when pipes are cracked off but not enough to open the injector to spray.
It may be worth bleeding the system at each major component (filter - pump etc) to ensure pure fuel is getting to the top.
Extreme cases, i have taken a pipe from a clean container with diesel in straight to the pump and at least got the engine running, also, take the fuel filler cap off in case of breather blockage and if possible fill the tank to the top to help the flow of fuel.
Hope this helps.

I would say Paul is spot on here,
I would as as Paul suggests, clear each component of air if you can.
You probably know, that just a small bubble of air, can give a hell of a head ache at times.

I think it's a case of getting the batts. as full as possible, and really loosening all the injector pipes, at both the pump end, and the injector end.

Spin it over until the pump is pumping no bubbles, some times not even noticible, as they are so small, they all gang up in the pump to join forces, and make a bigger bubblel.
Spin the engine, then when your sure no moer air out of one of the pump outlets, then nip it shut.
One by one, until all 6 are done.
By this time, you should have good, clear diesel comming out of the injector end of the pipes, hopefully any way.
Again, nip them up, one by one, when your sure the diesel is no more air bubbles.
Then, fingers crossed, one of the cylinders will start to fire, and take some of the strain off the now, very tired batts.
Keeping fingers, and toes crossed, other injection pipes will show clear diesel, then nipping them up also, other cylinders will also start to catch
Any way, this is probably teaching you suck eggs, but any way.

Good luck

G.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Get someone to prime the pump while you spin it over or visa versa, should go pretty quick.

just a thought - might be worth after you finish taking a peak at the brushes in the starter motor to make sure they are ok - you are giving it quite a punishing time craning it for long periods.

Erm should have typed cranked!

Tim, Have you sorted it?

Karl

Hi!

Thanks everybody for the suggestions and tips. We managed to get cilinder 2 running (never appreciated exhaust fumes that much!) but then our batteries were flat. We only have the weekends to work on it because study is interfering, so batteries are now charging again, and we will try again next weekend and keep you updated!

Cheers!

Hello guys!

Thanks for the fast ideas and suggestions. Unfortunately the engine is still not running...We were busy getting rid of all the air in the system, when our batteries decided to call it a day... now we are recharging them and this weekend we hopefully get our cruiser up and running again. This little excercise of changing a small gasket is turning into a quite stressfull activity. Especially because we want to leave for africa in a couple of weeks... Anyways, we will not give up yet!

Thanks again for the quick responses!

Tim

Hi Tim,

You do realise the huge cost for all this invaluable information, can only be repaid with posted forum photos.
Nothing else is good enough. ;)
Photos, photos, and more photos :thumbup:

Graham

We'll, thats a steep price to pay, but hey, do we have a choice anyway? :mrgreen:

This is our beloved landcruiser:

rps20110525_113830.jpg

And we want to drive it from the Netherlands to Zambia during this summer, so we've made some adjustments, such as home made spare wheel and jerry can carriers on the back, bullbar, 285/75/16 tires, homemade drawers in the back for storage, and to top it of a homemade roof tent to sleep in. See below.

rps20110525_113800.jpg

And of course on topic: this is the fuel pump opened up and where the bloody leaking gasket used to be:

rps20110525_113623.jpg

We had to remove the radiator and second battery holder etc in order to get the pump out, it needed quite some persuasion in the end.

rps20110525_113545.jpg

You can always find more photo's of our preparations on http://www.studentsoverlanding.nl (partly Dutch/partly English)

Hope this settles the deal :)

any more pics of the home made roof tent and jerry can/wheel holder?

i love pics me :D

Hey Tim, I've just had a browse through your pics & I have to congratulate you on the ingenious tent - lovin' it!!! :mrgreen:

Was the fabric & frame salvaged from an old trailer tent? Looks like just what I need to squeeze my family into!!!

Keep up the good work :cool:

Cheers

Hi Tim,,,,

Thats not a tent, thats a mansion. :shock:
Looks like sleeping place for a football team,

Looks great, lots of room there.

So just remind us all again, when is launch date for your trip?

G.

Very interested in seeing more of the jerry can holder, that's something I've had in mind to make for a long time, it''s a bit too much to install a long range tank for the few times I will need it.

Nice to hear such enthusiastic replies :D The trip is due to start on july the first, so stress is starting to build up now :shock: We're also still looking for sponsors :mrgreen:

Tent is indeed from old trailer tent:
rps20110526_193720.jpg

We actually could just undo the 4 mounting points in the corner and put it on our roof rack (also homemade). Only had to cut 3 inches to adjust the width. Roofrack is made from an old gate, some dogshed-parts and some heating pipe.
This is the empty roofrack still under construction:

rps20110526_193818.jpg

Getting in and out the tent was a challenge untill we fixed the ladder:

rps20110526_193630.jpg

Tent folds to about 20 cm height and is covered by the original cover (not on photo :D :

SAM_0368%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

And here you can see a bit more of the folding mechanism:

SAM_0330%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

Tent is of course only just big enough, as it contains only 3 beds of 90*200 cm....so the girls have to go on top :D Costs so far on the tent: €10 for wooden board and €10 for some paint and a lot of time :)

Jerry can holder can also be used as child transporter :) :

SAM_0381%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

SAM_0383%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

Will post some more recent and detailed pics when is it finished and painted.

Great to see some recycleing ...cool 80 too :thumbup: :thumbup:

Back