Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Epic Recovery

All done for the cameras, he went through that muddy patch with momentum a few times but on the one where he got stuck he slowed down and on that last rescue pull the tow truck unnecessarily changed direction so it deliberately got pulled sideways and toppled, the whole tone of that episode was to generate excitement. Total BS

Last edited:
That was awsome m8 :clap:

I'm not so sure it was staged but if it was I enjoyed it anyway - it's all too easy to make stupid mistakes even if you should know better. Getting bogged in something you've breezed through before is a classic for reminding you not to get too cocky :lol:

If that was staged the guy driving the 200 is the best actor I have ever seen. He was bricking it, and his relief at the end in the piece to camera was obvious.

Great piece of TV.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm not so sure it was staged but if it was I enjoyed it anyway - it's all too easy to make stupid mistakes even if you should know better. Getting bogged in something you've breezed through before is a classic for reminding you not to get too cocky :lol:

Been there once or twice, its like saying "watch this"

But they had a boat. No worries.

May contain scenes of mild panic.

Bury spare wheel, hook one truck to the other, winch out. Who carries that many snatch straps?

I enjoyed that. I think we all learned something.

But they had a boat. No worries.

May contain scenes of mild panic.

Bury spare wheel, hook one truck to the other, winch out. Who carries that many snatch straps?

I enjoyed that. I think we all learned something.

Me to, I'd seen part one (up to the rollover) before but never found part 2. I wondered then why they didn't winch from the tree, so much more controllable than the snatch.

Enjoyed, staged or not! :lol:

I think it probably would have uprooted the tree Clive. Not much more than a shrub planted in sand.

Staged or not, I certainly recognised what happened there. I think there is actually a book called 'Why things go wrong' and this is an example. OK they got stuck, that happens. But what they didn't do is plan the 'what if strategy'. They must have done loads of recoveries I am sure and they just said 'quick stick a strap on and give it a tug' As many would do. The difference here is the situation and environment. If it were a pay and play day, fine. But when you get one shot at something and it really really matters then a few extra seconds of thinking time can make all the difference. Some people are hard wired that way, some people never learn and some people do change after training. I guess they probably teach this stuff in the Army.

I am not saying I'd have done anything different myself, it's dead easy to be a smart arse afterwards, but how often have we kicked ourselves when we have taken a hasty decision. Used the last match in the box, took a gamble on there being a fuel station in the next 20 miles, balanced a wine glass on your knee. You know, taken a gamble.

You do meet these level headed people in life who just take that little longer and come up with a much better plan. I bet that if you set that up again, you'd pull the truck out first go and the next and the next and .. It's just luck playing her hand. The trick is to engineer out the element of being lucky.

You only get one last chance. And it might be your first. So don't waste it.

Sorry chaps, just having a philosophical moment.

I think it probably would have uprooted the tree Clive. Not much more than a shrub planted in sand.

Staged or not, I certainly recognised what happened there. I think there is actually a book called 'Why things go wrong' and this is an example. OK they got stuck, that happens. But what they didn't do is plan the 'what if strategy'. They must have done loads of recoveries I am sure and they just said 'quick stick a strap on and give it a tug' As many would do. The difference here is the situation and environment. If it were a pay and play day, fine. But when you get one shot at something and it really really matters then a few extra seconds of thinking time can make all the difference. Some people are hard wired that way, some people never learn and some people do change after training. I guess they probably teach this stuff in the Army.

I am not saying I'd have done anything different myself, it's dead easy to be a smart arse afterwards, but how often have we kicked ourselves when we have taken a hasty decision. Used the last match in the box, took a gamble on there being a fuel station in the next 20 miles, balanced a wine glass on your knee. You know, taken a gamble.

You do meet these level headed people in life who just take that little longer and come up with a much better plan. I bet that if you set that up again, you'd pull the truck out first go and the next and the next and .. It's just luck playing her hand. The trick is to engineer out the element of being lucky.

You only get one last chance. And it might be your first. So don't waste it.

Sorry chaps, just having a philosophical moment.

Have to agree with all that. I know for a fact that the last time I was stuck (the truck was in a very precarious position!) one false move would have been a roll over and tumble down a steep rivulet. I spent quite a long time walking all around the truck checking which wheels were on what slopes, sideways and lengthways. This came in handy, because misreading it caused me to get stuck in the first place. Then came the plan, which entailed Hi-Lift jacking the rear left wheel up by about 60cm. This brought the truck level, but how to get it out on a jack?

Obviously you cant, so I spent a while looking for pieces of wood to use as a ramp as I didn't have any waffles, but nothing to be found. So, what next? Rocks, loads of them, carried one by one from the rivulet to the truck. It took me ages, but I built a mound high enough under the wheel to let the jack down and the rocks supporting the wheel.

Then I drove out, very, very, very carefully, like a cat creeps on the prowl! It worked! The softly approach saved the rocks dislodging (it was like a pile of marbles really) and I had tied a safety rope to a tree root by the side of the truck, just to save it rolling over, if the rocks gave way and it slipped.

By releasing the rope in stages, and easing forward in stages, the truck came out and I could breathe a sigh of.

Moral of my story, IMO, was a bit of time spent breathing deeply, checking, planning, and finally doing, when the adrenaline had dispersed, saved me from the sh!t, do, sh!t, do different, sh!t, crash!! scenario that it could so easily have been.

I'm very cautious of knee-jerk reactions to anything, I'm the same in work when things go wrong.

Sorry, equally philosophical, but blame Chris for starting it!

Sorry Clive, I typed all that without really thinking it through first .......

I know. I was lucky. This time...

If that was staged the guy driving the 200 is the best actor I have ever seen. He was bricking it, and his relief at the end in the piece to camera was obvious.

Great piece of TV.

You hit the nail on the head with "Great piece if TV" it's not a couple of lads having fun they are making a TV program, therefore it's got to be entertaining, I think the driver is a good actor, maybe I'm being too cynical but I still say it was staged.

Back