Garage
Country Flag
scotland
well apart from obvious things like:
oil, air, fuel filters
and spare engine oil, coolant, diff-oil, ATF fluid
drive belts
and a selection of nuts/bolts

what other spares would you carry on a trip abroad?

I know of a chap in hiluxsurf who went to Pyrenees last year and had a rear wheel bearing go.
so he thinks a spare wheel bearing is worthwhile.

but there is a limit to space and weight! of spares you take.

You could take a couple of wheel bearings but most factors could probably get one in within 24 hours. They usually give you plenty of notice before letting go anyway.

Fuses and fusible links, small roll of wire, bullet connectors, bulbs, assortment of cable ties (including a couple of really big ones) a spare couple of wheel nuts.

I carry a roll of gaffa tape, a roll of aluminium tape and a roll of electical tape and an assortment of friction and ratchet straps. A torch, pair of mechanics gloves, spanners, small socket set, screwdrivers, pliers, side cutters, multimeter and spare topped up payg mobile (for emergencies) is all part of my tool kit. Oh and plenty of rags, a small tarpaulin (for sitting on or sheltering from the rain/sun if stuck at the side of an autobahn or trying to repair the truck at the side of the road) and about 10m of paracord (for tying bits back on or rigging up said shelter).

I'm not sure on the countrys laws and regs but I'm sure France now requires you to carry at least 1 flourecent jacket/vest, first aid kit, a warning triangle and bulb and fuse kit as standard anyway.

Upper and lower rad hoses, serpentine / V belts I take. I'd consider a wheel bearing ... Wheel studs and nuts??

90's, 100's, 120's and some none UK 80's have semi-float rear hubs so changing a rear wheel bearing needs access to a press and SST. Rear wheel bearing failures are rare compared to front but they should at least be checked over before going on long trips IMO. I do still carry spare rear wheel bearings, ABS ring, retainers etc just in case a local had facilities but no parts.

A couple of people on long isolated trips have carried starter motor parts and alternator parts [e.g. brushes etc] in a jar, just in case. Lighter than a full motor or alternator.

Personally, I would buy little made up spares kits that have pulled together the relevant part numbers already [washers, clips etc] and are bagged up as "Alternator spares" , for example, if they were available. I'm guessing they are not available because people can argue forever about what should be in them.

France also require a fire extinguisher and spare bulb kit

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gary Stockton said:
Fire extinguisher!...I have been racking my brains all morning as to what else was compulsory!! :lol:

You just put my mind at ease...I think it my age...well I'm nearly 40 :thumbup: :lol: ;)

Ecoman said:
Gary Stockton said:
Fire extinguisher!...I have been racking my brains all morning as to what else was compulsory!! :lol:

You just put my mind at ease...I think it my age...well I'm nearly 40 :thumbup: :lol: ;)
And a yellow reflective jacket for each occupant, to be in the car, not in the boot.

Graham

Does it not depend on where the trip is to determine what spares are carried? It certainly does for me. I custom pack for every trip.

And i dont mean the yellow jacket and triangle type spares.

Back