Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

EU exit road issues

Glad we are leaving.
Yes, very happy.
Now driving in Europe, or shall we say that all the foreign drivers now need a UK licence?
Perhaps they can tranship their trailers, keep their unsafe foreign LHD tractor unit in UE.
We should see a lot less accidents involving foriegn EU drivers, you plainly can not drive safely in UK.

Glad we are leaving.
Yes, very happy.
Now driving in Europe, or shall we say that all the foreign drivers now need a UK licence?
Perhaps they can tranship their trailers, keep their unsafe foreign LHD tractor unit in UE.
We should see a lot less accidents involving foriegn EU drivers, you plainly can not drive safely in UK.

Foreign drivers have always needed a UK license if they’re living in the UK for longer than 90 days.

LHD/RHD both legal to drive in both scenarios, driving on the right or the left.

What’s unsafe about a LHD tractor that’s not unsafe about a RHD tractor Gra, the fact that it’s foreign?

I’m glad you’re glad the UK is leaving the EU, I just didn’t quite follow the logic of the next bit :think:

Foreign drivers have always needed a UK license if they’re living in the UK for longer than 90 days.

LHD/RHD both legal to drive in both scenarios, driving on the right or the left.

What’s unsafe about a LHD tractor that’s not unsafe about a RHD tractor Gra, the fact that it’s foreign?

I’m glad you’re glad the UK is leaving the EU, I just didn’t quite follow the logic of the next bit :think:

Not supporting any bans in drivers but there is evidence that lhd lorries are more prone to accidents on motorways when lane changing due to a larger offside blindspot. They also have more failures on dot checkpoints.
Still not an adequate reason for a ban though which is only going to come back and bite us on the ass!!

Not supporting any bans in drivers but there is evidence that lhd lorries are more prone to accidents on motorways when lane changing due to a larger offside blindspot. They also have more failures on dot checkpoints.
Still not an adequate reason for a ban though which is only going to come back and bite us on the ass!!

Sure, it works both ways....

I’m sure after Brexit, Brits won’t want to be marooned on their island...

Lets not fall into bickering exchanges shall we , everyone knows i hate the EU , but i also accept that in theory the EU should be a very good thing .
But the theory is one of cordial compliance , a level playing field on which individual nations can compete with each other and/or if it benefits all club together to compete on a global scale .

But this ideal has been corrupted and distorted to a point that it bares no resemblance to the original idea , everything is market driven "save the planet" "ban smoking" and most recently "ban certain tyres" , its all aimed at damaging the competition for financial gain and greater global clout . They want to knock America off its throne .

If American psych included totalitarianism i'm quite sure the global map would look very different today than it does now .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I read lots of different things in lots of different places, even Brietbart. Leaving aside your assumptions that my opinions are based solely on what I might or might not read in the Guardian, the influence on politics by very wealthy, mainly far right wing individuals is of concern. What are their intentions or vision of the future ? Divide and rule ? The idea of a return to British sovereignty is an enticing one, but what does that actually mean to ordinary people in the UK ? Gone are the days when we could invade other countries, exploit their wealth, import their people as cheap labour and decide their destinies to our advantage unhindered.

I’ve spoken to farmers who are now finding it difficult to find workers and are worried about what will happen when EU subsidies end, other people who trade with the EU on a regular basis and are worried too. I used to transport goods around Europe, compared to these days it was a pain, customs forms, circulation permits etc. etc., sometimes days waiting for clearance, costly. I first travelled in mainland Europe in the early 60s, memories of the war were still fairly fresh for many and infrastructures were still recovering and developing. Having a common market has made a big difference over the years, both socially and economically. To regard the EU as some sort of undemocratic monolith, is to perhaps miss the point and to equate terrorist attacks with membership, is misguided, many attacks have been carried out by 2nd or 3rd generations of people who arrived from previous parts of empire.

The thought that the USA or China will be there for us if needed could be a bit optimistic and any trade deals struck will most likely be predominantly to their advantage.

You mean the worlds evolved since WW2 Flint and nations have grown more prosperous , well who wudda thunk it huh .

You mean farmers who get subsidy and an unending supply of temporary workers with a very personal interest in staying the EU . I guess if the other overwhelming majority of the nation could afford to even rent a decent house and put their kids in a good school with some hope for the future they might agree .

Its the EU's obstinate arrogance and contempt for democracy that will bring them down , Europe will still be Europe and Britain will still be an island . Americans will still visit the UK and Europe for a long traveling vacation and be non the wiser what all this Brexit fuss was about 10 years from now .

Nobody is going backwards , only a lunatic would cut off his nose to spite his face and even Juncker is now saying we need to make Brexit work for everyone . Brexit might actually save the EU in the long term as it evolves and adapts to the shocking fact that they are not impervious to the will of the people .

See what happened in Catalonia , try that in Hungary and see what happens , divisions throughout Europe have never been greater , each individual nation hovers around 50/50 for or against this "undemocratic monolith" and all it needs is a spark for chaos to ensue .

Brexit is a bucket of water thrown in the face and damping the matches , we are Allies but that's a two way street .

To address the original point of the thread, driving between UK and EU will remain straight forward... it will have to be because of the Northern Ireland situation. It's the one complication to Brexit that was forgotten about until recently. NI executive won't stand for being treated differently, so if the free movement agreement between our islands is to remain in place, then that's the answer to a large extent

As I see it may all be better for the UK in the end, and that is a big maybe. As far as I'm concerned so far all it is doing is costing me shed loads of cash with the rubbish exchange rate. most of our machines are made in the EU so parts and replacement costs have gone though the roof. So as far as I'm concerned that is my money lost for ever
What we need in my simple agricultural opinion is world wide free trade without governments trying to take a big cut of the cash

I read lots of different things in lots of different places, even Brietbart. Leaving aside your assumptions that my opinions are based solely on what I might or might not read in the Guardian, the influence on politics by very wealthy, mainly far right wing individuals is of concern. What are their intentions or vision of the future ? Divide and rule ? The idea of a return to British sovereignty is an enticing one, but what does that actually mean to ordinary people in the UK ? Gone are the days when we could invade other countries, exploit their wealth, import their people as cheap labour and decide their destinies to our advantage unhindered.

I’ve spoken to farmers who are now finding it difficult to find workers and are worried about what will happen when EU subsidies end, other people who trade with the EU on a regular basis and are worried too. I used to transport goods around Europe, compared to these days it was a pain, customs forms, circulation permits etc. etc., sometimes days waiting for clearance, costly. I first travelled in mainland Europe in the early 60s, memories of the war were still fairly fresh for many and infrastructures were still recovering and developing. Having a common market has made a big difference over the years, both socially and economically. To regard the EU as some sort of undemocratic monolith, is to perhaps miss the point and to equate terrorist attacks with membership, is misguided, many attacks have been carried out by 2nd or 3rd generations of people who arrived from previous parts of empire.

The thought that the USA or China will be there for us if needed could be a bit optimistic and any trade deals struck will most likely be predominantly to their advantage.
Nah, I was just being facetious by making a conclusion based on the same train of logic as your assumption on leave voters. Once again, you are making assumptions about leave voters that they represent the far right, yet it was clear in the assessments after the vote and in the run up to it that opinion was divided across parties. Many areas that voted leave are in fact strongly left wing.

Subsidies have lead to an overproduction of unnecessary foodstuffs at the expense of others and supports uncompetitive practices and stifles innovation by removing incentive to change (witness much of French agriculture and industry). It is a false and misleading way to support an economy, and ultimately unsustainable. It also significantly damages countries that aren't invited to the party (African Farmers, Caribbean sugar cane growers, British fishermen). The information I read last week was that joining the common market actually had a negligible effect o the UK economy, but as always, that may well depend on which bit of research you read!! However, if you look at The IMF list of fastest growing economies, the only EU countries featuring in the top 30 are Gibraltar and Romania. The most exciting and stimulating economies lie outside the EU. As with business, to grow your own wealth, you have to invest in growth, and that means investing in economies on a world scale, the new and emerging economies that in the next 50 years could well dwarf the EU.

If you look at net trade within the EU, we are a net importer to the tune of over 100billion euros, the largest in Europe by a significant margin, so yu have to ask yourself, does the rest of the EU really want to give up over 100billion of +ve net exports to the UK? well, if they do, they're cutting off their noses to spite their faces. Conversely, we are a net exporter of goods to the rest of the world. Around 30% of our imports from the EU come from France and Germany, do those to countries really want to give up nearly 100 billion euros in trade? and we are a net importer from both those countries, so they have more to lose than we do.

Our exports to the states amount to around 40% of the value of our exports to the whole of the EU and represents a significant positive trade balance so the US is a very important market to us, being our biggest +ve trading partner

It is evident then that in terms of trade, there is much to be gained for exploiting our existing trade with world economies and an area that could be developed once we are free of the restrictive practices of the EU. World trade is more important to us than many of the other EU countries who have a strong interest in maintaining the parochialism of the EU, we don't. Thats not to say trading with the EU is unimportant, it is very important, but it's also important to the EU, notably France and Germany and that is something that needs to be utilised by those negotiating our position in Europe.

If viewing the EU as an undemocratic monolith is missing the point, then I'm not sure what the point is, because to me that is exactly the point. I'm not that bothered about immigration (although I do belive there should be tighter controls) or British independence and 'sovereignty, what I am interested in is being ruled by an undemocratic, unaccountable body where the majority of decision are passed behind closed doors under the influence of those very people you choose to blame for brexit, the rich and large corporations. Those decisions are then passed without consideration of any objection or or contrary argument. I want to live in a democracy, not an EU dictatorship where policy is unscrutinised and decided on the basis of who has the fattest wallet.

Of course, while all this is jolly interesting, it's not that relevant to the OP, which was a bullshit alarmist article without foundation or thought by a bullshit alarmist rag!! I can drive virtually anywhere in the world on my UK driving license, that won't change with leaving the EU.

Once again, you are making assumptions about leave voters that they represent the far right,

You misread me, where did I imply at any point that those who voted to leave were far right? Rather I was commenting on those that were paying to influence the vote in favour of brexit and the methods that they were using.

Last edited:
You misread me, where did I imply at any point that those who voted to leave were far right? Rather I was commenting on those that were paying to influence the vote in favour of brexit and the methods that they were using.
well, we can bat this back and for for ever. remain voters are the kind of pedants that enjoy that kind of pointlessness,:smirk: but TBH I can't be arsed. It's irrelevant to the OP and the arguments for and against were done to death a long time ago. There's is exactly zero value in arguing the toss about it now because we are where we are and it's time to move on and make the best of the situation we have, you can't turn the clock back. Live in the past if you like, be bitter, be resentful, the sensible money is looking to the future.

Well, it's not over till the fat lady sings as they say. And as you say, you can't turn the clock back, we'll just have to wait and see what happens and make the best of things. I won't be bitter or resentful, it's not particularly in my nature. :)

ps edited to remove perceived inflammatory comment.

Last edited:
Well, it's not over till the fat lady sings as they say. And as you say, you can't turn the clock back (though I thought that was part of what leavers were hoping for) we'll just have to wait and see what happens and make the best of things. :) I won't be bitter or resentful, it's not particularly my nature.
There you go again with your gross presumptions and inaccurate Characterisations of leavers ;)
You really don’t get it

Blimey, for someone who wants to put a topic to bed......... Who do you think I am ? I've never met you. I wasn't born with any particular great advantages, never went to Uni, don't belong in any particular box, not particularly tribal. I don't assume anything about leavers other than the fact that many of them didn't bother to check the "facts" thrown at them until after voting, many then deciding that they'd made a too hasty choice. Rich, poor, left or right. :)

Check what "facts" ?

Oh the predictions you mean yeah they've all been so accurate and unprejudiced even the BBC believes them :icon-rolleyes:

The Brexit campaign was completely without consequence , it was a celebration more than anything else because the Remain campaign and the EU spewed out insult after insult at anyone who doesn't have and is unlikely to ever have say 5 grand in savings i,e the majority of British people hence -

Remain campaigned for Brexit :laughing-rolling:

I don’t know why I’m getting so much sarcasm and defensiveness about this. Perhaps it should be moved to Politics and Religion ?

As an example, “fact” given by privately educated, ex city boy, beer drinking and fag smoking (at least when cameras are about) man of the people, Nigel Farage and followers (helped with US very right wing multi billionaire friend Mercer and co’s money) re weekly payments to the EU before the referendum. £350 million (which has since been retracted after declaring that it would go towards the NHS).

£350m weekly works out to about £18 billion a year.

Less rebate (which Brussels never receives) of just under £5 billion. Money back to UK, including donation to private sector and allowance for aid spending, about £6.8 billion. Actual cost of membership, roughly about £6½ billion, or around £120m a week, a third of the figure quoted (based on 2015 figures). Projected cost of leaving EU, unknown, but probably many times £6½ billion. Cost of trade agreement (like Norway has) or other incentives if we leave the single market to try to keep multi national businesses here, again probably many billions. Doesn’t leave much for the NHS (if not privatised by then, and more contracts given to healthcare and insurance companies) or for improving the lot of the population, even if the UK government do actually pass on any savings, much as they haven't invested sufficient in housing. The full costs of leaving won't be known until we do actually leave.

I won’t go on, but many other “facts” given as reasons to leave the EU don’t bear close inspection. If the intention was indeed to divide the country, the investment made by the super rich (who don’t tend to throw money about without expecting some sort of return) has paid off.

Just to add, the farms round here are mainly dairy and livestock including sheep. Not huge conglomerates, family farms where the profits don't allow enough to keep family members (many of who have moved away or taken other jobs) on as labour. The loss of agency workers is already causing problems to some and the uncertainty over future subsidies or cheap imports is a real headache. Much EU grant money has gone on improvements to infrastructure and other social improvements in the area.

Back