Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Excessive brake pedal travel

IIRC Frank it became Lockheed Girling? regards Dave

image.jpeg :whistle:

Now before I turned to page 7 I hunted out an old picture on Google to post up but you beat me to it Clive :thumbup:

regards

Dave

Come on Bill...er John....er um Frank, just because your memory is not as good as mine. :icon-biggrin:

regards

Gary

I'm worried about getting a BAT brick when the new MC does not solve the problem.

To eliminate the master cylinder once and for all, I am in the process of ordering a genuine Toyota one from Amayama. It looks like it is going to be about £300 by the time it arrives to my door.
They have come back with £208 including delivery. No doubt there will be another £50 added to that by the time UKPLC has added their bit on. Interestingly the postage was £33 cheaper than what it was when I priced I up back in December.

So Master Cyl ordered and will be on it's way next week.

I'm worried about getting a BAT brick when the new MC does not solve the problem.
I wouldn't do that to you Frank.
I prefer to use a Black Widow catapult with CV joint ball bearings :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I realise I've committed myself to the same boat Frank, we'll both go to the sea bed together if this fails...

You are safe Clive.

With a keen eye and a steady hand I may just be able to reach Stourbridge with the Black Widow.

But, I would have to engineer and fabricate a much larger version to reach lots.oracle.reputedly :icon-biggrin:

I decided to place a breeze block against the brake pedal to hold a little pressure on the system, I left it for a week to see what, if any, effect it had.

Guess what happened?

It stayed where it was.

The pedal did seem better but.................... Mr Numpty here forgot that the brake light switch is live even with the ignition off. The result being two brake lights drawing 2x21w for a week leaves the batteries flatter that a sheet of paper :doh:

Not sure if the breeze block made a difference actually but it did seem to. Will still fit the new master cyl when it arrives though and see what happens.

I was staying with my original thoughts on a faulty MC. When an inferior rubber seal is fitted to the MC it shrinks back with lack of use. Constant pressure stops the seal shrinking off the walls of the MC. When the seal does shrink back it lets fluid past it until it's pumped a few times and has expanded.

A bit more certainty of a cure I hope.

I left the tailgate open for a few days not realising that this leaves the rear door lights on......but I did remember to turn the ceiling light off.

During a recent laning trip to Thetford, I experienced some excessive pedal travel too. More than the usualy diesel creep, I actually thought I was losing fluid but no leaks and no loss of fluid. Since I've had the brakes balanced, and recent new pads, this thread was at the front of my mind.
On my 90 LR when it had been offroad at stupid angles I used to get a soft pedal, thoughts were that some air was getting in at the top because of the angles, that soon self fixed back on the road; wasn't sure if it was a similar issue on the 80.

My concern would have been excessive creeping while holding the truck on the brakes on a steep decline, something I might be doing whilst on the Alps trip this summer, so I wanted to make sure everything was in order.

So, off to Freedom 4x4 again for piece of mind. Brakes worked fine, but if you pressed hard after initial application, the pedal would go down very slowly, almost to the floor, bit of pumping it would come up again a little, but still creep down almost to the floor. Checked vaccum pressue was OK, and no leaks or loss of fluid, so that only left the Master Cylinder.

After a new MC and all bled up, there is still a bit of diesel creep, but the difference is that as it creeps down a bit (with a lot more foot pressure than before) you can feel the pedal pressuring/hardening up again, this was not aparent on the old MC.

Problem solved thanks to Freedom 4x4 again, cheers lads :clap:

They have come back with £208 including delivery. No doubt there will be another £50 added to that by the time UKPLC has added their bit on. Interestingly the postage was £33 cheaper than what it was when I priced I up back in December.

So Master Cyl ordered and will be on it's way next week.

Looks like the master cylinder has arrived at the local ParcelFarce depot, I have received their letter on behalf of HMRC.

The master cly was £206.93 and the customs duty is £7.04. Now I know the VAT is added after the customs duty, so essentially I'm paying duty on the duty. But the robbing b'stards have charged £48.39 VAT
jerkit.gif

When I went to school 20% of £213.97 was £42.79
confused.gif

Oh and ParcelFarce have charged me £13.50 for their part in the plot, but this is zero rated for VAT, whoopyf'kindoo.

I shouldn't bother explaining....they won't get it. I think schools closed years go. I went to the garden centre the other day to see if they sold Saltpeter and they gave me a bag of Sulphur.

The VAT maths certainly doesn't add up there. I was also charged around £13 by Parcelforce for their part in 'handling' an order I placed on Amayama who charged me £16. So, it cost £16 to get the parcel from the other side of the world to the Parcelforce depot in Rotherham and another £13 for them to deliver it the remaining 10 miles or so.:angry-fire:

I shouldn't bother explaining....they won't get it. I think schools closed years go. I went to the garden centre the other day to see if they sold Saltpeter and they gave me a bag of Sulphur.

You can buy saltpetre from butchers' suppliers if you still need it.

Thanks Rob, not many Bacon curers round here and it's holidays so I'll probably be sorted by Wednesday or later.

Arrived today, fitted and working fine at the moment. Will wait and see how they are in a few weeks time.

Regarding the HMRC fiddling exercise.The total cost of the parts including postage was £206.93 so I assumed this is the figure that would be used to calculate rip off Britain taxes.

So….. first of all they add on Customs Duty on to the £206.93. Then, they add on the postage cost that is written outside the parcel (£27.87). Then, they add on the VAT.

The result being, I have paid VAT on top of the Customs Duty (a pish take but I was expecting that) but then to take the pish even further they charged VAT on the original cost (including postage) and then added VAT onto postage again
mad.gif

It only meant a difference of £5.57 extra VAT but if they are doing this 1000’s of times a day, that’s a nice little earner.

Back