Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Excessive brake pedal travel

Chris stay cool, everyone has had some success with all systems you are not alone with the vac and you can bet someone loves it and some hate it as they do pressure systems, and hey I want you doing your 'moderator thing' so earn your keep!! :icon-biggrin:

Frank, I am not sure about positive pressure. If the positive pressure was a constant (parked or otherwise) the brakes would bind all the time creating drag? When the pedal is released the pads retract, part of this is due to the rubbers deforming and the rest as the piston returns to rest i.e. pulling back on the fluid, as you know you never tighten the nipple on an up stroke for this very reason, and the amount of air needed to make a pedal spongy is very small indeed so.....................?

There is a possibility that the air is getting in through a very tiny leak but not big enough to leak fluid unless, the brake pedal was pushed and perhaps held over a period of time, perhaps start engine, wedge pedal down and switch off and leave overnight?

Awkward this one mate,

regards

Dave

I've been reading this thread with interest and although I'm not up to date on ABS and have no idea what role "modules" play and "electronics" in a braking system, IMO (as Chris has intimated) the thread has gone awry on basic physics and the basic function of braking systems.

A "positive" pressure as described by Frank, that is to say the minute gravitational difference in height between the MC and other components of the system could never cause "bind all the time creating drag" as suggested above. AFAIK there are no springs in the calipers that would induce "the pads [to] retract, part of this is due to the rubbers deforming and the rest as the piston returns to rest i.e. pulling back on the fluid".

There is no "pull back on the fluid" from the calipers, the pressurized fluid simply returns to non-pressurized fluid (with the exception of the minute gravitational pull mentioned by Frank).

Some of the posts on here have, IMO, tried to make the simple process of pressurizing fluid in a pipe system, way more complicated than it is.

There is almost no travel of fluid in the pipes when the system is in function. It is pressurized and it is relaxed. The "movement" at the pads is microscopic. A disc (or rotor) in good shape and assuming no other factors such as worn wheel bearings, will not push the pads back, the pads simply become relaxed and stay where they are, lightly brushing the face of the disc.

Tightening the nipple on the down-stroke is simply to ensure no air is drawn into the system before tightening.

My experience is that when a bleed nipple is opened (assuming all in clean and functioning) the fluid will drain under gravity but it is very slow and hence the use of the "up-down missus", vacuum or pressure bleed tools to assist.

In the old-days, I used to run a plastic tube from the bleed nipple back to the MC, but that was when I was permanently broke, and the thought of pissing perfectly good brake fluid down the drain was undesirable. Of course, I'm more educated now and realize it's quite a good idea to change fluid from time to time, so running fresh fluid through the system is not such a bad idea. :lol:

BAT's intermittent "pedal to the floor" syndrome is a bit of a mystery, sometimes MC rubbers get deformed a bit and allow fluid past the seals, but having replaced the MC, one would presume that sort of problem resolved.

I'm also not as confident in replacement parts these days, BAT's rear compensator valve replacement is a good example.

On that note, I lifted my suspension by 110mm, the fitter told me he'd adjusted the compensator and I could see that it had been moved.

I get lock-up on the front wheels on full braking running 305/70/16 tyres and at each test, I get a pass reading on braking balance and efficiency (including the rear) where on my 80, I have drum brakes and no ABS.

Just my pennyworth.

Anyway, best of luck getting to the bottom of this BAT, hope all turns out well. :thumbup:

Glad you resubscribed Chris lol.

Dave I meant the weight of the fluid very slightly pressurising the system. If you were to drill a hole in a brake pipe fluid would come out due to this pressure. A big hole yes air might get in.

Clive the calliper seals are a clever design. The pistons are quite tight and move ever so slightly out when the brake pedal is pressed. The seals grip the piston though and go lozenge shaped and when the brake pedal is released then return to normal square section and in doing so draw the piston slightly off the disc. If you were to press the pedal and drive for say 10,000 miles with the brake pedal on the entire pad would be worn away and the pistons come out several times the thickness of the seal but when the pedal was released the seal would pull the piston back slightly. That's my understanding of how the calliper works overall but only from observation and thinking about it.

Chris I think the threads would be a bit short and boring if we all kept exactly on topic.

In the old days fluid used to get aerated and I used to have to leave it overnight to clear before I could use it again. I don't seam to get aerated fluid these days. I realised back in the late 50's the fluid was hygroscopic and wondered why it was not recommended to change the fluid. Not that I ever did, far too expensive.

Thanks for the correction Frank, I'm always ready to be corrected :thumbup:

However, I still don't think the lozenge effect would drive much fluid back up to the mc.

... Dave I meant the weight of the fluid very slightly pressurising the system. If you were to drill a hole in a brake pipe fluid would come out due to this pressure....

But surely Frank, you mean Sir Isaac Newton's law here, gravity.

200px-NewtonsLawOfUniversalGravitation.svg.png

The fluid in an 'at rest' none ABS system would be at atmospheric pressure as it is not a sealed system in these old buses (no screw cap).

It is gravity pulling the fluid down that would allow the fluid to leak out of a holed pipe.

:icon-biggrin: :thumbup:

@ Bat21, Now we are getting technical! I agree with you on this but would maintain that air at the top of a loop will remain there regardless of the vac/pressure method unless the fluid movement through the pipe is fast enough, gravity bleeding again 'can' be successful but rarely is if air is trapped at a raised area of the pipe it being bled. Whilst it is easier to pull air out of the top of a calliper than fluid but, if the 'bubble' is further upstream then it is possible to leave the bubble behind and still pull or push fluid through, the result is the pedal will be spongy when the bubble is compressed.

@ Clive, without doubt if you lift the pedal before tightening the nipple are will be drawn in which you agree but how? We know the pistons are not moving against the discs as the pressure has been released by the open nipple, in this case it can only be drawn in by the piston in the MC as it returns to rest, of course this is just my opinion/experience and would be prepared to be convinced otherwise.

@ Frank, I do recall a customer approaching me and asking if I could use the remainder of the fluid in his own can.............as he shook it vigorously and announced there was plenty in there, gotta love em right?

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Aw gawd now I am getting different posts mixed up, the inability to edit without the page freezing even affects my other laptop on this site only. Agree we are losing the grasp of the original thread but it's what makes us all different, different thoughts, different ideas, I penned my 'signature' when teaching at college many years ago and still use us today.

regards

Dave

Laptop problems are probably caused by windows dictatorship , i have disabled everything possible no apps , features or updates and now it works fine .

Without wanting to skew the topic Shayne, it has been a thorn in my side for years. Even Crispin had a go at it and with little success, happens on both of my machines.

regards

Dave

And you are soooo right about MS dictatorship, in the very near future many will wake and find their machines became WIN 10 overnight...WITHOUT THEM AUTHORISING IT!!

regards

Dave

Given the small bore of brake pipes and the viscosity of brake fluid I think that any air trapped in the highest part of a loop in the brake line will be pushed out very easily by any of the methods described, pressure bleed, pedal pump or vacuum sucking and out through the nipples which is why they are on the highest point on the calipers/wheel cylinders. I agree there will indeed be pressure on the pistons from the head of fluid from the MC when the system is 'idle' but, given that the MC is maybe only around 2ft higher than the wheel callipers it will be so small as to be negligible but enough to cause a steady dribble from an open nipple.
As for theories as to why the pads move back from the disc when the brakes are released I believe it has more to do with vibration than the flexing of the seals. IMO, even on a disc that is perfectly true the pads will be ''thrown' back slightly from the disc surface due to the minute side to side oscillation of the disc caused by vibration of normal driving. Apologies for another motorcycle analogy here but when a motorcycle experiences a heavy 'tank slapper' the pads are forced back away from the discs by an excessive amount due to the severe vibration caused by the violent lock to lock banging of the steering against the lock stops which usually means that the first subsequent application of the brakes does nothing as the lever needs to be pumped to get the pads back up to the disc surface. This is not an uncommon occurrence in racing scenarios but can be lessened to a degree with a steering damper. JMO

@ Bat21, Now we are getting technical! I agree with you on this but would maintain that air at the top of a loop will remain there regardless of the vac/pressure method unless the fluid movement through the pipe is fast enough, gravity bleeding again 'can' be successful but rarely is if air is trapped at a raised area of the pipe it being bled. Whilst it is easier to pull air out of the top of a calliper than fluid but, if the 'bubble' is further upstream then it is possible to leave the bubble behind and still pull or push fluid through, the result is the pedal will be spongy when the bubble is compressed.

@ Clive, without doubt if you lift the pedal before tightening the nipple are will be drawn in which you agree but how? We know the pistons are not moving against the discs as the pressure has been released by the open nipple, in this case it can only be drawn in by the piston in the MC as it returns to rest, of course this is just my opinion/experience and would be prepared to be convinced otherwise.

@ Frank, I do recall a customer approaching me and asking if I could use the remainder of the fluid in his own can.............as he shook it vigorously and announced there was plenty in there, gotta love em right?

regards

Dave

Agree with all that Dave and the last one [emoji32][emoji2]

Weight is measured in say pounds. Pressure is measured in pounds per square inch. It is the height of fluid in the system that determines the pressure at the bottom. The deeper you go down, as in diving, the greater the pressure. The width of the master cylinder does not influence the pressure. (witness the u tube with unequal sized legs). The weight of the fluid also affects the pressure. Roughly 38 inches of mercury will balance 33 ft of water = 1 bar or 14.5 lbs per square inch. I build barometers.

Yes BAT gravity and pressure would cause the fluid to come out. Mercury would squirt out as it is heavier. If a cork were put in the master cylinder reservoir it would defeat atmospheric pressure and the fluid would stay in ?? A bit confused now.

Trapped air will allow fluid to flow past it hence no amount of fluid or bleeding will remove it , make the bubble big enough to prevent fluid passing it and it will have to move .

Trapped air will allow fluid to flow past it hence no amount of fluid or bleeding will remove it , make the bubble big enough to prevent fluid passing it and it will have to move .

So how do you remove it then? If that were the case very brake system on the planet would have air in it.

Yes BAT gravity and pressure would cause the fluid to come out. Mercury would squirt out as it is heavier. If a cork were put in the master cylinder reservoir it would defeat atmospheric pressure and the fluid would stay in ?? A bit confused now.

A MC reservoir sealed from atmospheric pressure would indeed prevent fluid syphoning out. Some would leak but it would stop when the vacuum created was strong enough. If it was Mercury more would leak due to it's much higher mass requiring a stronger vacuum to stem the flow. JMO

So how do you remove it then? If that were the case very brake system on the planet would have air in it.

"trapped" as in held in place by pressure , let some more air in which will hopefully meet with the trapped bit making it too large a bubble for its hiding place so it will bleed out .

The system is only under pressure when the pedal is pressed. At idle it's at Zero or atmospheric pressure. Put some fluid in a glass bottle and shake vigourously causing severe aeration and see how long it takes for the fluid to clear, the smallest bubbles staying in suspension for quite some time. Any such bubbles in a system will bleed out easily as the fluid moves through the system way quicker than the bubbles can move through the fluid.

I think I've almost got it BAT. If there was a hole in the bottom of the tube atmos' pressure would be acting on both ends so it would just be the weight of the fluid causing it to come out. There would be more pressure at the bottom of the hole if the height of the column was higher though.

Back