Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Exhaust and ARB query

joshg

Morning all,

The exhaust on my 01 90 is in need of some tlc, the pipe that exits the large rear box is all but off but seems to be hanging on by a thread and it pivots so it is hitting the steel cross member when going over bumps. Can this be welded or is it a new rear box? Also been getting a clunk over rough ground and on inspection it seems that the ARB bushes are knackered so I will replace these and the drop links, where is the best place to look for the supply of these?

Many thanks
Josh

joshg said:
It seems that the ARB bushes are knackered so I will replace these and the drop links, where is the best place to look for the supply of these?

When I did my front & rear ARB bushes and drop links I used Milner parts - they were OK:

http://www.milneroffroad.com/toyota...0td-41996-72000-lwb-ukimport/kzj95-suspension

There is a thread here that might help:

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8182&highlight=antiroll+bar

Regarding the exhaust . . My centre box went recently (if that's the pipe you're referring to), there was no way it could be welded as it was far too thin - I just replaced the lot. You'll probably find that a welded repair will just be 'temporary'.

Bob.

Thanks for that, I have been looking at the exhausts and milners and roughtrax seem to be the same sort of money is there any big difference in quality?? Also with regard to the roll bar and drop links could I just remove them and leave them off?? I am spending as much time off road as I am on at the mo so road manners aren't really too important.
Josh

joshg said:
Milners and Roughtrax seem to be the same sort of money is there any big difference in quality?? Also with regard to the roll bar and drop links could I just remove them and leave them off??

The Milners system won't last long (in Scotland, anyway :roll: ). If you want a long-lasting system its going to cost a lot and be made of Stainless. I guess the Roughtrax system will be much the same as the Milners one - they possibly use the same supplier.

You could remove the ARBs, but the car won't (or shouldn't) get through a MOT.

Bob.

The milners and the rough trax are the same milners is just cheaper there is a thread about them by Joe (silvercruiser)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok, New exhaust should be here today I had a look underneath on the weekend and the bolts look completely rusted and shagged. Are these a specific bolt? I spoke to milners and they don't supply these. What size bolt should I be on the lookout for?
Josh

i think - they are M10 bolts... but could be M12..

I just use whatever bolts i have
and tend do "undo" the old ones with an angle-grinder slit disc!

I used M8 as thats what i had had no spring washers so double nuts put on and exhaust paste between the joint.

I removed my rear ARB a long time back, two or three MOT's ago and have not been pulled on it as yet. There's also not been a significant difference in handling, but this could be put down to the fact that at the same time I fitted the upgraded suspension lift that probably has stiffer springs compared to standard ones thus countering the effect of removing the rear ARB. I also removed the front ARB!!! Something that I put straight back on following a good hard test drive. The truck was very drivable, but it's absence could get you into a lot of trouble if one day you require an emergency Elk manoeuvre it was very wallowy into and out of corners! When I replaced the front one I did so using new bushes and drop links from Milners. Before the final fitting I put some T-Cut on the drop link threads and used a powered nut runner to run the nut up and down the thread to make it very easy to remove the front ARB for pay & play days and weekend events such as Lincomb. I also had the same/similar trouble with the exhaust pipe going into the front end of my main silencer some two MOT's past that it failed on, the MOT examiner welded it up for me, that was nearly two years back.

Back